Criminals on TV

Tony Raven wrote:
> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> I wonder if training courses could be offered to help those of use who
>> have these problems - maybe a variation on what Tom offers. "Cycling
>> for hoodie-wannabees"? I have a feeling trials riding may help here.
>>

> Wouldn't that be for bunny hopping onto the bonnet, giving the windscreen a
> good kick and then jumping down on the other side?

That would be a good one for those streets that are not
wide enough for cars and bikes to pass each other.

You would also need to teach them how to accurately gauge
the oncoming cars speed, and the reaction from the
drivers. Will the driver suddenly swerve, brake,
accelerate, or just ignore the invisible cyclist.

Tony Raven wrote:

> "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"Clive." <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I have to say now, my car front was kicked by a cyclist in the cycle
>>>lane of the road I was waiting to enter. It was only my fearing a
>>>few years behind bars that stopped me pursuing him, with the
>>>intention that he should never be in a position to get on a bike
>>>again. Cyclists are the scum of the earth and should be segregated
>>>by law from proper road users.

>>So you let one bad experience with a person dominate how you feel
>>about a significant portion of society. Have you ever considered
>>therapy?

>>Would you like to tell us more about the incident? Do you know why the
>>cyclist kicked your car? How much damage did they do?
>>clive

> I think...

Bzzzt!

Deviation.

Clive George wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Clive George wrote:

>>> Why do you say that? Would it be because you're not reading what I
>>> wrote?
>>> And yes, I believe in looking at why people are doing these things
>>> for all the cases you mention.

But "we" (at large) do not. Just imagine the liberal meeja fuss if any
understanding or insight into (say) uninsured driving or (especially)
rape were attempted.

>> Instead of punishing them or as well as?
>> If it's "as well as", why do you not take that stance wrt the
>> obnoxious cyclists referred to by the PP?

> Thank you for demonstrating it is indeed you failing to read what I
> wrote. Try again. It's all quoted above. Where precisely do you get the
> idea that I take the stance you suggest?

You're right. Sorry for the speed-reading. I accept that you are
against illegal/inconsiderate cycling (on footways, in pedestrian
areas, etc) and all for prosecuting offenders.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But "we" (at large) do not. Just imagine the liberal meeja fuss if any
> understanding or insight into (say) uninsured driving or (especially) rape
> were attempted.

Hang on - "liberal meeja fuss"? IME it's the likes of the Guardian who are
far more likely to be carrying articles about how to achieve such
understanding than, say, the Daily Mail. Are you really saying the Daily
Mail et al are more "liberal meeja" than the Guardian?

Anyway, fuss ye not - there are people out there who are trying to work on
the things which you say aren't attempted.

clive

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:12:01 -0500, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Derek Geldard <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>>>
>>>Does your cardiologist agree?

>> Hard to say, but after 33 years in the health care industry I'm not
>> saying it doesn't happen but Ive never seen one come to work on a bike
>>
>> 4x4's Plenty.
>>

>Not surprising, motorists rarely notice cyclists. I know two
>cardiologists. They both cycle.

They cycle to work?

It's zero round here in the foothills of the Pennines, it's too hilly.
Not practical.

Can't see how they would respond to an emergency half way home. Our
hospitals at least require consultants to live within 10 minutes drive
from the hospital.

I can't see them going for excuses along the lines of:

"Well sorry about the patient and all that, but death comes to us all.

I live within 10 minutes drive, but chose to use my push bike."

Tossers.

DG

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:55:58 +0100, Derek Geldard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:12:01 -0500, Tony Raven

>>Not surprising, motorists rarely notice cyclists. I know two
>>cardiologists. They both cycle.

>They cycle to work?
>
>It's zero round here in the foothills of the Pennines, it's too hilly.
>Not practical.
>
>Can't see how they would respond to an emergency half way home. Our
>hospitals at least require consultants to live within 10 minutes drive
>from the hospital.

There's an RNLI station near my home. ALL of the crew cycle to the
station when their pagers ring. It's simply faster and more reliable
than fighting the traffic in their cars.

Horses for courses.

On Sep 5, 6:39 pm, JNugent <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> >>So you let one bad experience with a person dominate how you feel
> >>about a significant portion of society. Have you ever considered
> >>therapy?
> >>Would you like to tell us more about the incident? Do you know why the
> >>cyclist kicked your car? How much damage did they do?
> >>clive

> > I think...

> Bzzzt!
>
> Deviation.

thats a worrying sign; getting a buzz from the deviants on this
newsgroup :)

Fod

Derek Geldard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:12:01 -0500, Tony Raven
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Derek Geldard <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>> Hard to say, but after 33 years in the health care industry I'm not
>>> saying it doesn't happen but Ive never seen one come to work on a bike
>>>
>>> 4x4's Plenty.
>>>

>> Not surprising, motorists rarely notice cyclists. I know two
>> cardiologists. They both cycle.

> They cycle to work?
>
> It's zero round here in the foothills of the Pennines, it's too hilly.
> Not practical.
>
> Can't see how they would respond to an emergency half way home. Our
> hospitals at least require consultants to live within 10 minutes drive
> from the hospital.

That is probably a general rule. A friend of mine had to move house when
his wife - a surgeon - got a job at Leicester Royal Infirmary which was
some way away.

--

John Wright

Time flies like an arrow

In message <[email protected]>, JNugent
<[email protected]> writes
>>>I have to say now, my car front was kicked by a cyclist in the cycle
>>>lane of the road I was waiting to enter. It was only my fearing a
>>>few years behind bars that stopped me pursuing him, with the
>>>intention that he should never be in a position to get on a bike
>>>again. Cyclists are the scum of the earth and should be segregated

>>>So you let one bad experience with a person dominate how you feel
>>>about a significant portion of society. Have you ever considered
>>>therapy?

This is two questions to which the answers are first yes and second no.
--
Clive.

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 18:25:19 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
wrote:

>And besides, I don't want to be associated with a bunch of
>self-righteous prigs with the collective IQ of a winter vegetable.

Except Doug. He's got the IQ of a mushroom.

DG

Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:55:58 +0100, Derek Geldard
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:12:01 -0500, Tony Raven

> >>Not surprising, motorists rarely notice cyclists. I know two
> >>cardiologists. They both cycle.

> >They cycle to work?
> >
> >It's zero round here in the foothills of the Pennines, it's too hilly.
> >Not practical.
> >
> >Can't see how they would respond to an emergency half way home. Our
> >hospitals at least require consultants to live within 10 minutes drive
> >from the hospital.

> There's an RNLI station near my home. ALL of the crew cycle to the
> station when their pagers ring. It's simply faster and more reliable
> than fighting the traffic in their cars.
>
> Horses for courses.

quite, back in wales to take the bike to work would be a lot slower,
etc, while on the edge of london, a car is pain if i can i chose the
bike, it can be parked almost any where etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On 31 Aug, 20:54, JNugent <[email protected]>
wrote:
> raisethe wrote:
> > > It amounts to the same thing. If we have fuel duty in the UK, but an

> > imported good or service from abroad does not have fuel duty applied
> > to it (whether in its construction or shipping) the overseas companies
> > have an unfair competitive advantage over UK companies.

> *Unfair*?
>
> It is "unfair" for other countries not to hobble their economies with
> crippling selective 400% taxation, is it?

Our economy is not 'hobbled' by taxation. It is booming. Labour
shortages have led to a requirement for migrant labour which has only
added to congestion in parts of the country. Our problems are due more
to the success of the economy than the fact that it is hobbled.

> > It is
> > therefore equitable to charge a tarrif to make up for the fuel duty
> > not applied to the imports.

> What do you mean, "equitable"?

Fairness dictated by reason and conscience.

> Let's have an example. The USA does not tax fuel to the extent most
> European countries do (and certainly not like we do in Brown's
> Britain). Are you saying that special import tariffs should be applied
> to USA imports of goods or services (in addition to the current rate
> and VAT), in order to "compensate" for the fact that American industry
> is not taxed as heavily as ours is (on their fuel, at a minimum)?
>
> If we did, what effect do you say that would have on the USA? Would
> they be more likely to:
>
> (a) realise (what you imagine to be) the error of their ways and
> immediately ask Golden Brown for advice on how many extra dollars a
> gallon to impose?
>
> (b) retaliate for the unjustified British breach of international
> agreements on trade and tariffs by increasing American import duties
> on imports from the UK?
>
> If it were (b), would that be:
>
> (a) beneficial for the UK and its workers?
>
> (b) a disaster for those parts of British industry which export to the
> USA?

Tarriff agreements are highly complex and swayed as much by the
political factors you infer as by what is equitable.
My interest is primarily in what is right, not what is politically
correct.

On 31 Aug, 21:10, Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:
> raisethe wrote:
> >> the same pot?

> > To the extent that the fare includes taxation, yes it should.

> Why tax road congestion but not train congestion?

I disagree with train congestion as much as I do with road congestion.
However, more can be done about overcrowded trains than overcrowded
roads.

> >> It can be, but they are /unfair/ taxes. The fair way to control those
> >> things is by rationing,

> > Agreed, and the best way to ration is by price, via taxation.

> That's not what I mean by rationing. I mean allocating equal amounts to
> each individual, regardless of ability to pay.

Would you apply that to property and incomes as well, or just to
roads?

> >> The country's smog problem
> >> wasn't solved by allowing the rich to emit as much smoke as they liked,
> >> so long as they paid tax on it. It was solved by banning smoky fuel.

> > We are not talking about banning fossil fuels, only restricting their
> > use.

> So have an annual allowance per person then. You can use it to heat
> your house, have a bicycle made, run a car, run your air conditioning,
> or whatever. What could be fairer?

Fine, as long as you can buy and sell your allowance.

> > Similarly with congestion.

> No. That's caused by lack of supply, not by the necessity to cut-back
> on usage. Those affected, by being caught in congestion, should be
> compensated, they are on the trains and on the planes.

The difference being that there isn't a practical and harmless way to
increase roadspace in many instances whereas there is sensible scope
to increase public transport capacity.

> >> Remember too that the cost of congestion is
> >> borne, not /caused/ by motorists

> > Incorrect. It is caused by motorists,

> Do patients cause a shortage of beds? Do train passengers cause
> carriages to be overcrowded in the rush-hour?

Shortages occur when demand is greater than supply. More hospitals can
be built, trains can be extended and more can be run. Sadly in many
cases more roads cannot be constructed. So, in the case of trains and
hospitals, supply can be increased to meet demand, but in the case of
roads, taxation can reduce demand to meet the limited available
supply.

> > All I say is that fuel taxes should be raised to such a level that
> > consumption is reduced to a level deemed acceptable given the limited
> > resources and the polution caused by its use,

> And all I say is that that isn't a fair way to ration a resource in
> short supply. It means the poor have to sacrifice their use of it,
> whilst the rich are unaffected.

Road congestion is not caused by poor people as they do not own cars.
They will not therefore have to make a sacrifice.
If people who are less rich choose not to pay cc, or are unable to,
then their overall tax burden will fall and they will become better
off. My method is equitable, yours is unfair because it requires that
everyone gets the same no matter how much they do or don't want it.

orange wrote:

>>>imported good or service from abroad does not have fuel duty applied
>>>to it (whether in its construction or shipping) the overseas companies
>>>have an unfair competitive advantage over UK companies.

>>*Unfair*?
>>It is "unfair" for other countries not to hobble their economies with
>>crippling selective 400% taxation, is it?

> Our economy is not 'hobbled' by taxation.

I disagree with you on that. There are some activities - quite lawful
activities - which in the UK, are either suppressed by high taxation
or (to some extent) driven underground. As an example of the first,
just think of the ridiculous measures to which UK citizens are driven
in order to be allowed to leave their possessions to their children.
With a more enlightened approach, none of that would be necessary - it
certainly isn't desirable in itself.

> It is booming.

Our economy is currently inflated on a bubble of credit. It is all
going to change direction sooner than the government want to admit. No
wonder Golden Brown was so tempted to dash for a quick election
recently - for a week or two at least, until the smell of fresh coffee
hit his nostrils.

> Labour
> shortages have led to a requirement for migrant labour which has only
> added to congestion in parts of the country. Our problems are due more
> to the success of the economy than the fact that it is hobbled.

See above. Not that any of that is the meat of the discussion. The
point was that developing and Third World countries know better than
to hobble *their* economies with selective 400% taxation on the
productive parts of them.

>>>It is
>>>therefore equitable to charge a tarrif to make up for the fuel duty
>>>not applied to the imports.

>>What do you mean, "equitable"?

> Fairness dictated by reason and conscience.

I see. You haven't got a supporting argument so you appeal to "reason"
(that being nothing more than a restatement of your preferences).

>>Let's have an example. The USA does not tax fuel to the extent most
>>European countries do (and certainly not like we do in Brown's
>>Britain). Are you saying that special import tariffs should be applied
>>to USA imports of goods or services (in addition to the current rate
>>and VAT), in order to "compensate" for the fact that American industry
>>is not taxed as heavily as ours is (on their fuel, at a minimum)?

>>If we did, what effect do you say that would have on the USA? Would
>>they be more likely to:

>>(a) realise (what you imagine to be) the error of their ways and
>>immediately ask Golden Brown for advice on how many extra dollars a
>>gallon to impose?

>>(b) retaliate for the unjustified British breach of international
>>agreements on trade and tariffs by increasing American import duties
>>on imports from the UK?

>>If it were (b), would that be:

>>(a) beneficial for the UK and its workers?

>>(b) a disaster for those parts of British industry which export to the
>>USA?

> Tarriff agreements are highly complex and swayed as much by the
> political factors you infer as by what is equitable.
> My interest is primarily in what is right, not what is politically
> correct.

TYhank you for at least responding in a way that shows you understand
the issues.

On 23 Oct, 13:32, JNugent <[email protected]>
wrote:

> just think of the ridiculous measures to which UK citizens are driven
> in order to be allowed to leave their possessions to their children.

Completely OT, but so what. IHT is known as the voluntary tax. It is
generally pretty easy to avoid. Actually, I would like it to be more
rigorous. I would sooner everyone had as equal as possible a start in
life, no matter how rich their parents are.

> > It is booming.

> Our economy is currently inflated on a bubble of credit. It is all
> going to change direction sooner than the government want to admit.

Well I agree with you there, the slump, when it comes, is going to
hurt.

>The
> point was that developing and Third World countries know better than
> to hobble *their* economies with selective 400% taxation on the
> productive parts of them.

And my points are:
(i) that our economy isn't hobbled, and

(ii) that given that the government needs to raise tax it is right
that those who use a lot of finite fossil fuels pay more tax than
those who use less, and those who pollute more pay more tax than those
who pollute less.

> >>What do you mean, "equitable"?

> > Fairness dictated by reason and conscience.

> I see. You haven't got a supporting argument so you appeal to "reason"
> (that being nothing more than a restatement of your preferences).

No, you don't see. You asked me what equitable meant, and I defined it
for you.

It is fair to charge a tariff on an overseas manufacturer who has a
lower tax burden for producing a particular good that he wishes to
sell in the UK, because otherwise he has an unfair competitive
advantage over the UK producer of the same good. There is no point
having a high tax on fuel in the UK if we import goods that don't
suffer that tax burden. It won't have the intended purpose of the tax,
which is to reduce demand for fuel. So if fuel duty is going to be
applied, it has to be both on all fuel which is used in the UK, and
all fuel which is used in the production and distribution of any good
sold in the UK. For those countries that have a lower fuel duty than
ourselves, a tariff is therefore necessary.

..

> TYhank you for at least responding in a way that shows you understand
> the issues.-

No Sir. I thank you.

raisethe wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>just think of the ridiculous measures to which UK citizens are driven
>>in order to be allowed to leave their possessions to their children.

> Completely OT, but so what. IHT is known as the voluntary tax. It is
> generally pretty easy to avoid.

You shouldn't have to avoid it. You should be at liberty to do what
you want with your hard-earned at any and every stage of life, without
any of it being at risk of going to the Chancellor after you've paid
the income tax (etc) on it.

> Actually, I would like it to be more
> rigorous. I would sooner everyone had as equal as possible a start in
> life, no matter how rich their parents are.

That line would have been a wow in Albania, pre-1989.

Wonder why that sort of thing never worked/works?

>>>It is booming.

>>Our economy is currently inflated on a bubble of credit. It is all
>>going to change direction sooner than the government want to admit.

> Well I agree with you there, the slump, when it comes, is going to
> hurt.

>>The
>>point was that developing and Third World countries know better than
>>to hobble *their* economies with selective 400% taxation on the
>>productive parts of them.

> And my points are:
> (i) that our economy isn't hobbled,

....because it is inflated by gratuitous credit...

> and

> (ii) that given that the government needs to raise tax it is right
> that those who use a lot of finite fossil fuels pay more tax than
> those who use less, and those who pollute more pay more tax than those
> who pollute less.

It's a point of view. It has nothing in particular to commend it
(unless you really mean it across the board and you are advocating a
similar 400% tax on domestic gas and electricity as well as on road
fuel, which could mean we could abolish income tax), but it's a point
of view.

>>>Fairness dictated by reason and conscience.

>>I see. You haven't got a supporting argument so you appeal to "reason"
>>(that being nothing more than a restatement of your preferences).

> No, you don't see. You asked me what equitable meant, and I defined it
> for you

....in a way that is meaningless unless seen from your particular POV.
IOW, it wasn't a definition. It was just the way you wanted your use
of the word to be interpreted.

> It is fair to charge a tariff on an overseas manufacturer who has a
> lower tax burden for producing a particular good that he wishes to
> sell in the UK, because otherwise he has an unfair competitive
> advantage over the UK producer of the same good.

There you go again.

"Unfair", you say. You are using it as though it meant something
widely-agreed. It doesn't.

> There is no point
> having a high tax on fuel in the UK if we import goods that don't
> suffer that tax burden.

There is every point in it (as far as the Chancellor is concerned). He
gets easy tax revenues from something that people here cannot avoid
unless they are prepared to live at less than their optimal living
standards.

> It won't have the intended purpose of the tax,
> which is to reduce demand for fuel.

Ah, you've fallen for the oldest trick in the book.

The purpose of tax is to gain revenue. The Chancellor does not want
people to use (much) less of commodities that are highly-taxed (except
to the very limited extent necessary to be able to "prove" that high
commodity taxes "work"). They are highly-taxed because he knows people
*won't* or *can't* use less of them. Think of tobacco. In the end, it
proved necessary to introduce severe controls on its use in public
places. Why not just use high(er) taxes on it if the purpose of tax is
"to reduce demand for" the highly-taxed commodity? Because it wouldn't
have worked, that's why.

> So if fuel duty is going to be
> applied, it has to be both on all fuel which is used in the UK, and
> all fuel which is used in the production and distribution of any good
> sold in the UK. For those countries that have a lower fuel duty than
> ourselves, a tariff is therefore necessary.

Would you impose a similar tariff on goods or services produced by
labour paid less then the (UK) minimum wage?

If not, why not?

>>TYhank you for at least responding in a way that shows you understand
>>the issues.-

> No Sir. I thank you.

After you, Claude...

JNugent wrote:
> raisethe wrote:

>>> I see. You haven't got a supporting argument so you appeal to
>>> "reason" (that being nothing more than a restatement of your
>>> preferences).

>> No, you don't see. You asked me what equitable meant, and I defined
>> it for you

> ...in a way that is meaningless unless seen from your particular POV.
> IOW, it wasn't a definition. It was just the way you wanted your use
> of the word to be interpreted.

Which is what you asked him to do, quote JNugent, "What do you mean,
"equitable"?" and he told you what he meant. Why is that a problem for you?

Brimstone wrote:
> JNugent wrote:
>
>>raisethe wrote:

>>>No, you don't see. You asked me what equitable meant, and I defined
>>>it for you

>>...in a way that is meaningless unless seen from your particular POV.
>>IOW, it wasn't a definition. It was just the way you wanted your use
>>of the word to be interpreted.

> Which is what you asked him to do, quote JNugent, "What do you mean,
> "equitable"?" and he told you what he meant. Why is that a problem for you?

It isn't.

You can go back to sleep now.

JNugent wrote:
> Brimstone wrote:
>> JNugent wrote:

>>> ...in a way that is meaningless unless seen from your particular
>>> POV. IOW, it wasn't a definition. It was just the way you wanted
>>> your use of the word to be interpreted.

>> Which is what you asked him to do, quote JNugent, "What do you mean,
>> "equitable"?" and he told you what he meant. Why is that a problem
>> for you?

> It isn't.

Then why did you say it was?

> You can go back to sleep now.

I do this in my sleep, don't you?

Brimstone wrote:
> JNugent wrote:
>
>>Brimstone wrote:

>>>Which is what you asked him to do, quote JNugent, "What do you mean,
>>>"equitable"?" and he told you what he meant. Why is that a problem
>>>for you?

>>It isn't.

> Then why did you say it was?

I didn't.