Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by limerickman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Andrija

Andrija Member

Obviously Evans was thinking the same way... He didn't think Valverde can overtake the lead.

2. adamastor

adamastor New Member

I didn't hear the roumours about Contador going to CE, but regardless from that he now can count on a whole team that will probably support him in the following Tour de France. Valverde will probably not compete, and nobody else in CE will be a possible contender. So they will focus on mountain stage victories (needing the "getout ticket" from Astana), and this is ideal situation for Contador. If Astana allowed to race, he'll have not 8, but 17 riders to help him. Might also be his clever way of securing, that if the Armstrong/Leipheimer/Kloden gang don't support him, he'll need to find assistance from outside the group...hence Caisse d'Epargne. Makes sense?

3. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I doubt Evans threw everything at it as well. And I certainly wouldn't say it's clear he cant beat contador at the tour, Both time trials will suit evans better

4. Grater

Grater New Member

Very good point....Contador is a smart man.

Caisse's good chance of mountain stage wins would come from LLS and he would be a handy worker for Contador.

5. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Sorry Scottri, but if there are certainties in cycling, then that's one of them.

Barring a mishap, AC will finish ahead of Evans. He can hold his losses in the tt and then climb for fun in the mountains.

Can see Evans hanging on for a possible podium place though.