Crit Pros in Ojai, California

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark Fennell, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    A bunch of them this afternoon. Including a six-time tdf winner mixing it up
    with the socal crit monsters. When word got out, a couple thousand
    spectators showed up. I've never seen so many camera phones in action. He
    sat in most of the time; once though, when a break with some major wattage
    got ~30 seconds, he got on the front and pulled for two laps and brought
    them back. He didn't participate in the sprint. (Note to Johan: he did get
    caught up behind a crash one time, and came out of his pedals--no injuries
    though.) It was really cool that he was there because Ojai is a second year
    race, on a great course, but most importantly, it is a memorial event for
    Garrett LeMire.

    Expect pictures on CN soon.

    Sincerely,
    Your RBR Reporter

    Tags:

  2. matabala

    matabala Guest

    "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A bunch of them this afternoon. Including a six-time tdf winner mixing it

    up
    > with the socal crit monsters. When word got out, a couple thousand
    > spectators showed up. I've never seen so many camera phones in action. He
    > sat in most of the time; once though, when a break with some major wattage
    > got ~30 seconds, he got on the front and pulled for two laps and brought
    > them back. He didn't participate in the sprint. (Note to Johan: he did get
    > caught up behind a crash one time, and came out of his pedals--no injuries
    > though.) It was really cool that he was there because Ojai is a second

    year
    > race, on a great course, but most importantly, it is a memorial event for
    > Garrett LeMire.
    >
    > Expect pictures on CN soon.

    One more clue that the end is near.

  3. Mark Fennell wrote:
    He didn't participate in the sprint.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/apr05/lemire05/dsc_0195

    I can't believe they didn't DQ him for crinkling up his number up, also
    it seems TOO high for the camera. No way they should have let him start
    or place him in the race. Casey wtf is going on in Socal? Don't they
    follow the stingent number nazi system of Nocal? Don't they teach those
    Euro pros to pin numbers on correctly?

    RVD

  4. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    I miss the old days when his socks would have been enough to throw him
    out.

  5. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    matabala wrote:
    > "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>A bunch of them this afternoon. Including a six-time tdf winner mixing it

    > up
    >
    >>with the socal crit monsters. When word got out, a couple thousand
    >>spectators showed up. I've never seen so many camera phones in action. He
    >>sat in most of the time; once though, when a break with some major wattage
    >>got ~30 seconds, he got on the front and pulled for two laps and brought
    >>them back. He didn't participate in the sprint. (Note to Johan: he did get
    >>caught up behind a crash one time, and came out of his pedals--no injuries
    >>though.) It was really cool that he was there because Ojai is a second

    > year
    >
    >>race, on a great course, but most importantly, it is a memorial event for
    >>Garrett LeMire.
    >>
    >>Expect pictures on CN soon.
    >>

    > One more clue that the end is near.

    "And round about the course were twenty and one hundred saddles; and
    upon the saddles I saw twenty and one hundred cyclists sitting, clothed
    in multi-colored raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of plastic
    and styrofoam."

    Which is pretty much what Brian Lafferty's been saying all along.

  6. Rik Van Diesel wrote:
    > Don't they follow the stingent number nazi system of Nocal?

    Shoot, we let 'em string numbers across the handlebars here in Texas.
    http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/cross1

    > Don't they teach those Euro pros to pin numbers on correctly?

    No Fred pin job here as his handlers got the
    number-jersey-jersey-number part right. It's not every pro race that
    has adhesive numbers.

    Greg Hall