Crit strategies for an upward sloping power profile

Animator

Mar 17, 2007
Background: The (inevitable?) decline of my neuromuscular power over the years, plus recent heavy emphasis on FTP training, has transformed my power profile to one of an upward bent, from my previous "pursuiter" profile. A long time ago, way before power meters were around, I seemed to actually have a decent sprint. Currently I'm at 4.5 W/kg at 145 lbs. Cat. 3, 40+.

Problem: I lack the explosiveness seemingly necessary to break away from the pack in a typical crit, even one with slight hills, and I go backwards in every field sprint. How in the world can I win or even podium in a criterium? I'd really like to.

I corner well and easily keep a good position. Regular sprint training has had little effect. I always "attack" in crits but these attempts are humorously futile. All I do is drag the pack around. My "attacks" are construed as mere surges.

Has anyone else figured out a way to overcome similar weaknesses in a crit setting? If I could only get off the front!

Gonna have to tag along on someone else's stronger attack that gets separation and then work hard while in the break with the hopes that you'll crack your break mate(s) and solo in for the win. Only scenario I could come up with...perhaps you're destined for domestique duty within your club/team...

Or, suggest you try breaking away after several successive unsuccessful attacks, or after a prime sprint while there's a lull in the action...if you don't initiate the attack at these times be attentive for a stronger attacker that you can tag onto...

What "sprint training" were you doing? How often (per week and for how many weeks) and just out of curiosity, what kinda power are you putting out for 30 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes?

... and are there enough longer hilly road races out there to keep you interested should all else fail? ;)

4.5w/kg is either very good or pretty poor. What sort of time frame is that measured over?

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

4.5w/kg is either very good or pretty poor. What sort of time frame is that measured over?

"Upward sloping power profile" refers to a cyclist with relatively low 5s power, with relative power numbers sloping upward (from left to right on the chart) to a higher relative Functional Threshold Power. With 4.5w/kg OP was referring to his relative FTP, or relative average power for an hour (the functional threshold)...FWIW, my power profile is the exact opposite/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif...

Recently a new crit racer team mate was complaining of the exact same sort of problems - no sprint, couldn't get away, just dragged the bunch etc. Next race he forced the break which stayed away (came 4th as he managed to force the break with 3 experienced team mates from another team who obviously did him over in the sprint) He still had relatively no sprint of course, but you don't actually need that much of one to get away. Previously he was simply attacking from the front the of the bunch and was immediately noticed and closed down. Simply by attacking from further back, by the time he was off the front the speed differentials meant he could get the initial gap.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

With 4.5w/kg OP was referring to his relative FTP, or relative average power for an hour (the functional threshold)
If that is what he was reporting. He could be reporting FTP for a shorter time interval. If he was reporting one hour numbers, then he has enough power to avoid a bunch sprint. He might take a few sprinters to the line with him but it is better than taking the entire field.

(I noticed that the numbers in your table are significantly different than the numbers in the table I have been using. Not important for me as I don't race.)

... He could be reporting FTP for a shorter time interval....
FTP is defined as a rider's highest average power for roughly an hour (roughly because the gold standard is a 40 k time trial which many riders finish in less than an hour). FTP for significantly shorter or longer periods would be a contradiction of terms.

Here's a very good explanation of FTP: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/what-is-threshold-power.aspx

Hey Animator-- I'm similar to you so I feel your pain.

Two pieces of advice:

(1) Instead of doing Crits do "hard" road races -- races with hills and maybe even rough roads. Those sprinters will be gone in the first hour and you will do great.

(2) If you insist on doing Crits, keep this in mind: whatever you are doing, do it 100%! If you are sitting in, don't screw around: rest as much as possible. If you attack, attack hard! Sprint off of somewhere around 4th or 5th wheel on the left side. Even a pathetic sprinter can get away easily if you go all out. 700-800w will get you a gap for sure. Then, once you have a gap go *really hard* the first couple of laps. None of this "I'm going to be away for 10 laps so I'm saving my energy and going at threshold" because you won't get away. Kill yourself! Do your 5min max power for two laps. Then, when they can't see you anymore, do the math in your head about how many laps to go and what you feel you can do. If you're not getting a gap you aren't going hard enough. Staying away is another story, but anyone with your FTP can *definitely* get away for at least two laps.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

FTP is defined as a rider's highest average power for roughly an hour (roughly because the gold standard is a 40 k time trial which many riders finish in less than an hour). FTP for significantly shorter or longer periods would be a contradiction of terms.

Here's a very good explanation of FTP: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/what-is-threshold-power.aspx
While I agree with your definition, that does not mean that the OP is using the term properly. Considering that he is talking about a sprint, a one hour number seems to be the wrong number to report.

I'm certain Animator is very clear on the definition of FTP which BTW isn't my definition, it's the accepted definition offered by the exercise physiologist that coined the term and literally wrote the book on the subject.

It's pretty clear Animator is offering both an example of his endurance fitness and illustrating the title of this thread by listing his FTP along with his concern over lack of neuromuscular power and sprint success. Hard to see how you could interpret his post otherwise, particularly as a racer with a peak sprint power of 4.5 w/kg is unlikely to ever get near enough to the sprint to know that they're falling short in that department as they'd never survive the first five minutes of most races much less the first surge with an MMP curve that tops out at 4.5 w/kg on the left.

While I agree with your definition, that does not mean that the OP is using the term properly. Considering that he is talking about a sprint, a one hour number seems to be the wrong number to report.
Reading is fundamental...and I'm sure "most people" who are familiar with power profiling and the like understood immediately what the OP's issue was as initially posted...it's not that complicated - even for me/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif...

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

I'm certain Animator is very clear on the definition of FTP which BTW isn't my definition, it's the accepted definition offered by the exercise physiologist that coined the term and literally wrote the book on the subject.

It's pretty clear Animator is offering both an example of his endurance fitness and illustrating the title of this thread by listing his FTP along with his concern over lack of neuromuscular power and sprint success. Hard to see how you could interpret his post otherwise, particularly as a racer with a peak sprint power of 4.5 w/kg is unlikely to ever get near enough to the sprint to know that they're falling short in that department as they'd never survive the first five minutes of most races much less the first surge with an MMP curve that tops out at 4.5 w/kg on the left.
Looking at the chart above: it appears Animator, a Cat3, has a 1 hour power number that is mid range for a Cat2. His 1 hour number is a mid pack Cat3 5 minute number. He should be running away from most of the guys in his Cat.

Some guys learn to race without a sprint. I think Animator could.

---

4.5w/kg is a good power output if you control your race. But not good enough if you let others control your race.

Looking at the chart above: it appears Animator, a Cat3, has a 1 hour power number that is mid range for a Cat2. His 1 hour number is a mid pack Cat3 5 minute number. He should be running away from most of the guys in his Cat.

Some guys learn to race without a sprint. I think Animator could.

---

4.5w/kg is a good power output if you control your race. But not good enough if you let others control your race.
Appears you may have lost sight of the fact that the OP posed his question in the context of crit races which don't feature long ascents where he could put his 4.5w/kg to good use. He won't be "running away from most..." in crits with 300w (4.5 x 66kg) as this disposal, regardless of the relative figure. In a road race featuring an extended climb against cat. 3s he would probably be able to get a good gap, but at "only" 145lbs the heavier racers and the peloton might catch him on the descent...

Originally Posted by acoggan .

Two words: scorched earth.

Three fast men, two sponges and one can o whoop-a$s...

Planckaert < Van Calster < Hinault.

Not sure than the OP has the 5 minute or 1 minute power to scorch anything apart from giving it an honest go and dragging the bunch around whilst feeling the burn in his legs... He's been decidedly mute since posting - I'm taking a wild guess at the fact that even 5 minute efforts are not his strong point.

You can lead a horse to water... ... But a pencil must be lead. Which is what the OP will end up doing (leading) if the scorched earth policy ends up being just a mild toasting.

I, along with most of the others who race, know that power, while nice is certainly not everything in a race. When you say "control the race" I am assuming that you mean control the pace, which IMO in a race and especially a crit will not typically result in good results unless you are a ton stronger than the competition, or have teammates who are willing to get up there and do it for you. In my mind the best race winning strategy, especially if you don't have teammates is to read the race well and make sure you are in the best position to make the right moves while using as little energy as possible. To me this is more about sitting back, saving energy and watching, being ready to jump on any moves that have a chance of making it. If you sit out front and try to "control the race" 50% of the guys behind you are using 75% of the energy that you are, just waiting for a move, and when that happens they will steam roll past you and you will be to toasted to get on. Sometimes aggressive moves or "controlling the race" can be beneficial, but most of the time sitting out front hammering away is not going to workout.

One instance in which I have taken more control is if there is a turn into a cross wind, everyone attacks on the down wind side of these sections, blocking everyone else out of the draft. In these instances I will try to preemptively throw out a moderate attack putting myself on the down wind side. I don't put in enough effort to get away, just enough effort to get to the front, this way if people want to come around me they have to come around on the upwind pulling me into their draft. I use a little energy, but far less than if I end up blocked out of the draft on a hard attack. This works particularly well in crits or shorter multiple lap road races when you are going over the same section multiple times