crit strategies

I got badly dropped in my first race, crashed out of my second, and won my third and fourth. So there's hope for you yet! Collegiate races should be easier, though I'd say you should race D class, at least your first race. Nothing's more discouraging than getting in over your head.

I agree with earlier posts, look for a weekly evening race, preferably a circuit race instead of a crit. I do them almost all year long, they're great fun, cheaper than regular races, and usually more low-key, so you can actually enjoy yourself. Plus, if nothing else, they're great training.

Good luck!
-Matt

yeah, right avrage speed in cat 5 is 24-27 mph, so sorry pal, you'll loose the draft at once.

billybob1992002 said:
i am doing my first crit over a .85 miel course with no hills for 45 mins. what do i need to know to at least do pretty good and just keep up. i ride about 30-40 miles 3 times a week with 10-15 mph wind and avergae around 16-17

cat6 said:
yeah, right avrage speed in cat 5 is 24-27 mph, so sorry pal, you'll loose the draft at once.
Billybob get your **** down to the velodrome and practise wheel sucking techneques, when you've done a few rides you'll find the pretty strong riders that you can wheel suck off, But down at the veledrome you'll find that echelon riding makes it considerably easier to ride at speed since someone else is always fighting the air resistance but on the track you'll be expected to do your part in the workload, plus you'll get real familiar with riding with the group.

So once you've mastered it you won't loose the draft its about staying close and hiding behind the guy infront from the wind and air let them do the work, this does make 24-27mph pretty effortless.

http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/Cycling/group_riding_and_pace_lines.htm