Crit Warm Up In 90F Temps

mikesaif

Feb 26, 2010
I rode some crits in March/April with temps anywhere between 35-50F. For these, I did about a 20-30 min warm up with some time at threshold, one minute intervals and some shorter sprints. These worked out great and I felt good at the start line and ready to race right away when the surges started after just a few seconds of racing.

I am doing a crit on Sunday at noon where it will be about 90F. I am thinking of reducing the warm up to about 10 minutes so as not to get worn out and dehydrated. I would welcome your comments based on your experiences. Thanks.

mikesaif said:
I rode some crits in March/April with temps anywhere between 35-50F. For these, I did about a 20-30 min warm up with some time at threshold, one minute intervals and some shorter sprints. These worked out great and I felt good at the start line and ready to race right away when the surges started after just a few seconds of racing.

I am doing a crit on Sunday at noon where it will be about 90F. I am thinking of reducing the warm up to about 10 minutes so as not to get worn out and dehydrated. I would welcome your comments based on your experiences. Thanks.

I still try to get a good warm up in even in hot temps. It is really important to open your legs up with some short (30sec-1min) efforts. Just keep hydrating throughout your warm up. Crits are often really fast from the first whistle, and you will need to respond to accelerations out of corners. Use your warm up to get your legs used to those types of accelerations and you'll be fine.