crit wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mr.unlucky, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mr.unlucky

mr.unlucky New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm a new racer and I need to get a set of wheels. I would like to have a set that I could use more than "race day" I want to train on them some also. I will race all crits, If a wheel can help any with cornering that would be great. I'm looking at the Mavic Ksyriums SL's and the Mavic Ksyriums Elite's, and Mavic Cosmic Elite's trying to decide if I should put down the money for the SL's or will I not even notice the difference? Or are there any other wheels that I'm not considering that I should consider for $700 USD or less? LESS MAKES ME MUCH HAPPIER...

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Hand built CXP-33 with DT Competition 14/15 spokes built 3X on DURA ACE 7700 hubs for less than $300. They are stiff, durable, serviceable, and light enough that you will be crit competitive.
    Make sure to use at least 32 spokes in the front and rear.

3. MTJoe

MTJoe New Member

Howdy,
    I was talking to a mechanic just yesterday and he said the Ksyrium Elites were crappy. For a new racer (I'm in the same boat) try and keep your costs low. The fella suggesting the CXP 33's has the right idea. You may want to look into Bontrager Race Lites ($450) or Velomax Circuit Comp ($500-ish).