Criterium International 2010

The rumor mill says, there will be a certain American in Criterium, who will try to finish the job that allies started during the World War II.
He'll carry a lethal poison in himself, hoping for mosquitoes' bites which would be fatal for them (mosquitoes).

Cunning Frenchmen. They'll kill two birds with one stone. They'll finally eradicate the disease from the area; and they can have valid samples from blood blots on a wall.

Mosquitoes' shift is ideal for taking samples. The only problem is - it's not their season yet.

Andrija said:
The rumor mill says, there will be a certain American in Criterium, who will try to finish the job that allies started during the World War II.
He'll carry a lethal poison in himself, hoping for mosquitoes' bites which would be fatal for them (mosquitoes).

Cunning Frenchmen. They'll kill two birds with one stone. They'll finally eradicate the disease from the area; and they can have valid samples from blood blots on a wall.

Mosquitoes' shift is ideal for taking samples. The only problem is - it's not their season yet.

Corsica - birthplace of Napoleon.

Interesting course.

I presume the malaria contagion has been contained?

Generally, very interesting move from ASO. But they have to check abilities of Corsica before it's too late. The Tour start isn't a small thing. It's very demanding event for organization and it would be disaster for ASO if everything doesn't go well in 2013.
I've got impression that this decision is little unexpected for everyone but for ASO. It looks to me that local government didn't expect to be tested, before they get Grand Depart.
It should be interesting race. It should provide more chances than traditional course in Ardennes, and it should be better indicator of where the riders are with their form at the moment.
To me, choice of host region is very funny. In a satiric way, I think. If I should make a parody on doping and testing problem; and unwanted visitors, I would make it this way - with mosquitoes in story.
It would be really strange if there are some mosquitoes still hibernating. More than 60 years passed since allies organized eradication. However, I don't think cyclists will be satisfied with comfort there. Complicated transfer to Corsica and really small host town, with limited capacities for caravan. ASO is inspecting how much stages can be held on Corsica in 2013. I'm sure they would like more than just a prolog and first stage, it's expensive organization with complicated transfer and the race should make the profit not to lose it.

Andrija said:

"In January 2002 a man identified only as Giovanni, who lived in Burkina Faso until 1964, said Coppi died not of malaria but died of an overdose of cocaine."

That seems as likely as malaria. The article also mentions mysterious poisoning. Less likely, but not out of the question.

So, who are going to be roommates?
I half expect Contador to come down with something . . . .

Maxiton said:
I half expect Contador to come down with something . . . .
Contador didn't plan to line up in the race, but maybe he changes his mind seeing the route.
Armstrong and Evans will be there according to their race programs.

This is going to be a very supreme event and all the fun and excitement is happening there with all the zeal and zest for sure.

I think this is a great idea. Corsica has loads of awesome mountains that should be used in bike races more often! Can't wait for when Le Tour starts there, we'll have a big mountain stage in the first 4 days!!!

I'm not sure about "a big mountain stage", but something like medium mountain, similar to Alsace or Massif Central is likely.
Nice scenery and demanding road conditions will certainly make interesting racing.

Recharging this thread, as it's getting close. 2 weeks away.

Any predictions ? Any insight ? Any news ?

Official site of the Tour confirmed the route, but there are no profiles yet. Evans and Armstrong planned to start the race. Voigt won't start since Saxo doesn't have enough riders to ride all the races which overlap each other (that's what he said). No start list, no words from riders about who'll target it. Hard to predict at the moment. Evans is riding very good in Italy, so I expect strong showing from him. Route could suit him very well.

Contador confirmed his participation in the race. I mentioned possibility of him lining up, 'cause the route really suits him.
Armstrong has been avoiding to meet Contador before the Tour, but if Mohammed won't come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed.
This is going to be very interesting edition of Criterium.

And steve, I don't want to reply in your Criterium thread. I really like this one and introduction to the race I wrote in my first posts. It makes sense (introduction).

Andrija said:
Armstrong has been avoiding to meet Contador before the Tour, but if Mohammed won't come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed.

Indeed. It's to Armstrong's advantage to avoid Contador until Armstrong's preparation is complete; and, to his advantage to meet Contador in the field of the Tour, which the former is thought to still own to some extent. It makes sense then for Contador to, as you say, bring the mountain to Mohammed - thereby putting Mohammed in his place and diminishing his potency. Contador is screwing with Armstrong's head, and maybe twisting the knife a little.

Maxiton said:
Indeed. It's to Armstrong's advantage to avoid Contador until Armstrong's preparation is complete; and, to his advantage to meet Contador in the field of the Tour, which the former is thought to still own to some extent. It makes sense then for Contador to, as you say, bring the mountain to Mohammed - thereby putting Mohammed in his place and diminishing his potency. Contador is screwing with Armstrong's head, and maybe twisting the knife a little.
Mind games were Armstrong's specialty during his rivalry with Ullrich. He took similar approach last year in Astana on his team mate. Now, it's time to be played with him.

gman0482 said:
Yea Contador should do well in 1st stage.
Very nice profile of the first stage. Just imagine the scenery over the racing. It's going to be really beautiful race.
14 kilometers of climbing is Contador's cup of tea, no doubt. I wonder how other GT contenders will respond? Based on his Tirreno form, Evans shouldn't loose much time on Contador. He wears the rainbow jersey very responsibly.

Andrija said:
Mind games were Armstrong's specialty during his rivalry with Ullrich. He took similar approach last year in Astana on his team mate. Now, it's time to be played with him.
i have to give contador credit. he's not ducking a competition, nor playing mind games, just an old fashioned lining up of bikes at the start line. should be entertaining to see what p.r. spin comes out of the radio shack camp afterwards.

slovakguy said:
i have to give contador credit. he's not ducking a competition, nor playing mind games, just an old fashioned lining up of bikes at the start line. should be entertaining to see what p.r. spin comes out of the radio shack camp afterwards.
I, also, wouldn't say that Contador has gone by Armstrong's path regarding mind games, but his (late) decision to line up in Criterium (when he already knew who's planning to race it) is a clear statement. Armstrong's paranoid nature could understand this as a mind game (this is exactly what Armstrong would do if he was in Contador's position).
Afterwards, maybe Armstrong decides not to start the race. Maybe he breaks his collarbone in MSR.
Some p.r. spin will come out for sure.