Critical Mass in Portland, Oregon

Stewart/.

Guest
hi

it seems that there's a heated debate about Critical Mass going on and i'd like to make some
statements.

this past friday was our local critical mass ride, and i was in attendance. in the week prior, four
cyclists were killed by drunk drivers. three of them (at once) were struck 2 blocks from where i
live. the victims were a lot like me, i'd met them and danced to their band many times. none of them
owned a car, all of them were wearing helmets and lights and riding in the bike lane. the
purpose of critical mass was reiterated for its regular participants on friday, and there was
a marked increase in attendance. young people, working people, parents with their families and
all else were all their to make their presence clear to the city. i saw, as i said, all kinds
of people, and all kinds of schwinns, beaters, and weathered and use-worn commuters. what i
did not see was campy, dura-ace, colnagos, spandex or carbon fiber. the division in the
argument seems, as least to me, to be between "cyclists" and "bicyclists". critical mass does
not aim to bring attention to bicycling as a sport or even as an "activity". rather, it is an
an opportunity for those who are not about to drive to a track to ride their bike, for those
who are foreign to the training loops and powerbars of "cycling" culture, to make themselves
seen--actually, undoubtedly seen--for at least one after in every month. i know that, for me,
riding with critical mass is an act of desperation. there is absolutely a "motorist
mentality", seperated from the rest of the world, and, supposedly, from consequence, by
two-thousand pounds of metal. a bicyclist does not register as any sort of concern to a person
behind the wheel of a car, and so the bicyclist's safety is automatically jeopardized.
critical mass is, in itself, the message to the community is that the community itself is
being put at risk when the safety of the bicyclist is comprimised.

the most common comment that ive heard in the past week in regards to the driver who killed those
kids by my house is that he "simply wasn't thinking". what does that mean? what wasn't he thinking
about? he was not thinking of anyone but himself, closed up in his own personal missile. i rode
critical mass for my own safety as i commute to work, to the grocery store. i also rode for those
that were killed, and those that are constantly and consistently being killed an injured while
riding their bicyles.

thanks, stewart stone/.

please respond to: [email protected]

First, to correct some of your 'facts': there were two riders killed in the one accident, they were
not wearing helmets (according to reports in the media) and I do not know about lights. I do not say
that to lessen the criminality of what the drunk driver did, just to get the facts out.

What we need to do (among other things) is (1) Get drunk drivers off the road: tougher laws, better
enforcement (2) Get the driving public to take bicycles seriously as transportation (3) Do
everything in our own power to avoid injury and protect ourselves if we are in an accident.

In my opinion, all Critical Mass does is annoy the public and law enforcement, and contribute
nothing to meeting the three above-mentioned items.

As angry as I am about what happened to these cyclists, I don't see how anything CM does will
prevent a future occurrence.

Steve Scarich

"stewart/." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> it seems that there's a heated debate about Critical Mass going on and i'd like to make some
> statements.

> make their presence clear to the city. i saw, as i said, all kinds of people, and all kinds of
> schwinns, beaters, and weathered and use-worn commuters. what i did not see was campy, dura-ace,
> colnagos, spandex or carbon fiber. the division in the argument seems, as least to me, to be
> between "cyclists" and "bicyclists". critical mass does not aim to bring attention to bicycling as
> a sport or even as an "activity". rather, it is an an opportunity for those who are not about to
> drive to a track to ride their bike, for those who are foreign to the training loops and powerbars
> of "cycling" culture, to make themselves seen--actually, undoubtedly seen--for at least one after
> in every month. i know that, for me, riding with critical mass is an act of

You will note that many of the "cyclists" that post here are also "bicyclists." Many of us on the
anti-CM side ride "beaters" to work or school, but have a different bike for long weekend rides.
Considering the time of the ride, I would not be surprised to see a bunch of beater bikes. There's
no point in trying to ride home, grab your weekend bike, then ride back. The issues are the same for
all cyclists, but those of us on the anti-CM side object to the methods used. Most motorists lump
all cyclists together, so the actions of one reflect on us all.

-Buck

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:09:12 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l
@ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:

>There's no point in trying to ride home, grab your weekend bike, then ride back. The issues are the
>same for all cyclists, but those of us on the anti-CM side object to the methods used. Most
>motorists lump all cyclists together, so the actions of one reflect on us all.

I've seen spun-sugar racing bikes and spandex on CM rides.

Cyclists on the anti-CM side do what exactly? Lobby for bike paths?

Am I getting the "back-lash" you've claimed is there because of the media's spin on CM or is it
because of spandex clad roadies' clubs ignoring traffic laws while on their weekly training rides?
Maybe I should blame it on the POB riding wrong way to the liquor store or is it those darn kids on
their BMX bikes behaviour that's causing all the drivers' animosity. I sincerely doubt it's because
all those puffy headed assholes were ever directly affected by CM. And even if they were, it still
doesn't excuse their behaviour.

Face it, raging cagers are scum and they've always been there. It's just that now there's more of
them hyped on drugs and packed into the same space. There's no reason for them to change their ways
as long as they continue getting away with vehicular assault and murder.

If the "anti-CM" types succeeded at any effective action toward getting the raging cagers held
accountable for the carnage and mayhem they cause daily, there may no longer be a need for
monthly CM rides.
--
zk

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:15:05 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Cyclists on the anti-CM side do what exactly? Lobby for bike paths?

No. They whine about CM on usenet.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Isn't this my STOP?!
12:27:18 AM 4 July 2003