Critical Mass - London

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephen \, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm after working late. Cycled down
    to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking in the sights without a worry and
    just imagining what it would be like without cars every day. Spoke to a couple of really nice people
    and will definitely be joining from the start next month. Great stuff.

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm after working late. Cycled
    > down to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking in the sights without a
    > worry and just imagining
    what
    > it would be like without cars every day. Spoke to a couple of really nice people and will
    > definitely be joining from the start next month. Great stuff.

    Glad you enjoyed it. I've done it two or three times. Bllx to it IMO. The minority are enough to put
    me off. I prefer to cycle with friends ...

  3. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm after working late. Cycled
    >down to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking in the sights without a
    >worry and just imagining what it would be like without cars every day. Spoke to a couple of really
    >nice people and will definitely be joining from the start next month. Great stuff.

    I inadvertently joined one for a few minutes along Shaftesbury Avenue a month or so back as it
    headed to the West End. I was in a rush to get home however so wended my way through trying not to
    look like I wasn't really joining in.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm
    > after
    > > > working late. Cycled down to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking
    > > > in the sights without a worry and just imagining
    > > what
    > > > it would be like without cars every day. Spoke to a couple of really
    > nice
    > > > people and will definitely be joining from the start next month. Great stuff.
    > > >

    > > Glad you enjoyed it. I've done it two or three times. Bllx to it IMO.
    The
    > > minority are enough to put me off. I prefer to cycle with friends ...
    > >
    > Slowly in the middle of London streets with no cars?

    I prefer to cycle in London at speed and dodge the traffic. The start of the CM seemed okay, but
    then some weird people started forcing their views on me (I was there to cycle freely, they used it
    for political aganda .. which is fine, I suppose, but can I go up to them and tell them to shut up?)

    Mostly, it's a good thing .. some minority comments I heard were along the lines of shouting "Kill
    your bosses" to chauffeurs .. and the like ...

  5. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Stephen (aka steford)"
    <[email protected]>
    > > after
    > > > what
    > > nice
    Great

    > > > Glad you enjoyed it. I've done it two or three times. Bllx to it IMO.
    > The
    > > > minority are enough to put me off. I prefer to cycle with friends ...
    > > >
    > > Slowly in the middle of London streets with no cars?
    > >

    > I prefer to cycle in London at speed and dodge the traffic. The start of
    the
    > CM seemed okay, but then some weird people started forcing their views on
    me
    > (I was there to cycle freely, they used it for political aganda .. which
    is
    > fine, I suppose, but can I go up to them and tell them to shut up?)
    >
    > Mostly, it's a good thing .. some minority comments I heard were along the lines of shouting "Kill
    > your bosses" to chauffeurs .. and the like ...

    Fair enough - you're never going to get a consensus on everything from a large group of people and
    many people are there from all sorts of backgrounds and with different agendas with an overall point
    to make. It's like any march/demo really. I support most of the "left wing" causes out there but
    don't need it rammed down my throat on demos and stuff as I find it a bit tiresome and wouldn't
    impose it on others - other than making my point. I just kept myself to myself and tagged along with
    similar riders. Hopefully I'll speak to more people next time.

  6. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    "congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm
    after
    > >working late. Cycled down to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking in
    > >the sights without a worry and just imagining
    what
    > >it would be like without cars every day. Spoke to a couple of really nice people and will
    > >definitely be joining from the start next month. Great stuff.
    >
    > I inadvertently joined one for a few minutes along Shaftesbury Avenue a month or so back as it
    > headed to the West End. I was in a rush to get home however so wended my way through trying not to
    > look like I wasn't really joining in.
    >
    > --
    Not a problem - you can join for as little or as much as you like. I got a good send off as I sped
    away from the pack!

  7. James Shugg

    James Shugg Guest

    "Stephen \(aka steford\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... [snip] Cycled down to Piccadilly with it - great to
    ride slowly
    > through London taking in the sights without a worry and just imagining what it would be like
    > without cars every day.

    I got up fairly early on Christmas Day last year and with a friend rode down Piccadilly, through
    Trafalgar Sq, Covent Garden Plaza etc etc at first light. Everywhere was totally deserted, except
    for one other cyclist in the Plaza. Not only was there no traffic - but no tourists either.

    It really was magic.

  8. > Bumped in to the CM ride this evening at Marble Arch at about 8:15pm after working late. Cycled
    > down to Piccadilly with it - great to ride slowly through London taking in the sights without a
    > worry and just imagining what it would be like without cars every day.

    It's been tried - you get ankle deep horse shit everywhere. Horses have no catalytic converters for
    their pollution.

    Jeremy Parker