CRITICAL MASS Melbourne - 8th Birthday Ride - Fri 28/11

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Juz, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Juz

    Juz Guest

    Cyclists and skaters will reclaim Melbourne's streets! THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28

    -----

    On Friday November 28, hundreds of Critical Massers will celebrate CM Melbourne's 8th Birthday.
    We'll be cycling and skating around Melbourne's CBD & inner suburbs. Why? Because BIKES ARE FUN (&
    skates are fun too)!

    Critical Mass invites all cyclists and skaters to join the party, as we escape inCARceration and
    celebrate pollution-free transport. Come along to our party on wheels, and help us show Melbourne a
    better way to get around. The ride is not a race -- we travel together simply to enjoy the comfort
    and safety of the car-free space we create. We move at a gentle pace, and skaters have no difficulty
    keeping up. Conversation between participants is plentiful.

    Melbourne is choking on its obsession with cars -- we're about sustainable transport and sustainable
    cities. We're a celebration of human-powered transport, and a glimpse of what life could be like in
    a people-oriented society. A Critical Mass ride does not block traffic -- We ARE traffic. Be open to
    new ideas!

    -----

    CRITICAL MASS 8th Birthday Ride/Skate

    5.30pm Friday, November 28 Meet at the State Library, cnr Swanston Walk & LaTrobe St All cyclists &
    skaters welcome - Bring your friends! Cost: FREE!

    http://www.criticalmass.org.au/

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:14:29 GMT, Juz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Cyclists and skaters will reclaim Melbourne's streets! THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28

    Featuring me on a crazy bike! If I can get through the whole thing and fall off only half a dozen
    times, I'll be chuffed!
    ---
    DFM

  3. David Sutton

    David Sutton Guest

    > Cyclists and skaters will reclaim Melbourne's streets! THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28
    >
    > -----
    >
    > On Friday November 28, hundreds of Critical Massers will celebrate CM Melbourne's 8th Birthday.
    > We'll be cycling and skating around Melbourne's CBD & inner suburbs. Why? Because BIKES ARE FUN (&
    > skates are fun too)!
    >
    > Critical Mass invites all cyclists and skaters to join the party, as we escape inCARceration and
    > celebrate pollution-free transport. Come along to our party on wheels, and help us show Melbourne
    > a better way to get around. The ride is not a race -- we travel together simply to enjoy the
    > comfort and safety of the car-free space we create. We move at a gentle pace, and skaters have no
    > difficulty keeping up. Conversation between participants is plentiful.
    >
    > Melbourne is choking on its obsession with cars -- we're about sustainable transport and
    > sustainable cities. We're a celebration of human-powered transport, and a glimpse of what life
    > could be like in a people-oriented society. A Critical Mass ride does not block traffic -- We ARE
    > traffic. Be open to new ideas!
    >
    > -----
    >
    > CRITICAL MASS 8th Birthday Ride/Skate
    >
    > 5.30pm Friday, November 28 Meet at the State Library, cnr Swanston Walk & LaTrobe St All cyclists
    > & skaters welcome - Bring your friends! Cost: FREE!

    I'll be there... bringing the family too! DS

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Arr me hearties,
    it was grand, wearing a DIY Pirate costume + my old 17 old goth boots on spd pedals...
    Anyway, there were kids in trailers, kids in bob trailers, dawgs, single speeders, trials lads, recumbents, commuters, on-bike sound systems, all various hues of the cycling rainbow, plus the added bonus of visiting the multi-level carpark in Little Collins St. DFM rode his brilliant pixie bike, I almost fell off mine several times due to footware. Post ride drinkies at the Standard much fun. Est. the ride numbers at 300-400.

    BTW, hello Fred N., nice suggestion of a "ride thru" of Abbotsford Cycles while the mass was at Swan/Hoddle intersection. Do you want a soft serve with that?:D

  5. 492 riders

    Dallas Goldburg Mouse in the House

    When in doubt, jiggle the cable.

  6. On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:33:39 +1100, "Dallas Goldburg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >492 riders

    OK, how on earth do you know that?
    ---
    DFM

  7. David Sutton

    David Sutton Guest

    >> 492 riders

    > OK, how on earth do you know that?
    > ---
    > DFM

    Easy. Someone who is a friend of ours stood by the side of Londsale St with a "clicker" and
    counted everyone as they went past. This was about 2 blocks from the start when the Mass was at
    its most Massive.

    DS