Critical Mass planning to disrupt the Republican Convention

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Elwood Blues, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Elwood Blues

    Elwood Blues Guest

    This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate traffic laws on
    purpose.

    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/n...0,2487081.story?coll=ny-nycpolitics-headlines

    They will claim the war was all for oil and offer plenty of anti-Bush
    invective - all while balancing on two wheels.

    Putting the bicycle to political use, thousands of demonstrators plan to
    swarm the city during the Republican National Convention, blocking streets
    and flouting traffic laws as they spin through midtown.

    "We don't necessarily follow traffic patterns," said Ludmila Svoboda, 32, an
    East Village nurse who will be among the mobile provocateurs. "The ride has
    a life of its own."

    This summer, riders will convene a "Bike National Convention" from Aug.
    20-28, with subsequent rides during the GOP gathering Aug. 30 through Sept.
    2. For those without wheels, a bike lending library is growing at the
    Brooklyn Navy Yard.

    The message: Conventioneers "are not welcome here," said Brandon Neubauer,
    26, an East Village cinematographer who is lead organizer of Time's UP!, an
    environmental group organizing the bike protests.

    The group has not applied for a permit for the rides and doesn't plan to, he
    said.

    One recent Friday evening, preview of what could happen in August, more than
    1,000 bicyclists pedaled from Union Square to the South Bronx in a monthly
    ride called "Critical Mass."

    They gathered before dusk near the Greenmarket, perched on a motley
    collection of bikes, including some jury-rigged with oversized handlebars
    and audio speakers. Suddenly, a stream of bicycles gushed onto Park Avenue -
    the riders ignoring changing traffic lights and cheering sporadic horn
    blasts.

    Not many motorists appeared angry. Most seemed startled.

    "It's a movement for peace," said Bronx maintenance worker Toto Ramos when
    told about the ride as he idled at the corner of Park Avenue near 16th
    Street.

    Cabbie Al Sandresy of Astoria had a different take.

    "They have to get some police around them to make the road easy," he said.

    In fact, there were no police officers in sight. Organizers say the police
    once helped guide traffic, but stopped about two years ago.

    "[Police] want to let the ride run its course, and that's the fastest,
    easiest way to deal with it," said Noah Budnick, project coordinator for
    Transportation Alternatives, a pedestrian and bicyclist group that used to
    sponsor rides a decade ago.

    The Police Department did not respond to a request for comment. The city
    Department of Transportation referred calls to the Police Department.

    There are several reasons why a bike saddle makes a fine soapbox, protesters
    say.

    Bicycling softens protesters' image, and conveys an environmental message
    without a placard. Riders also acknowledge the tactical advantage of two
    wheels during confrontations with cops.

    Alex S. Vitale, a sociology professor at Brooklyn College who studies how
    police respond to demonstrations, said, "There's a greater possibility of a
    certain cat-and-mouse with the police."

    Tags:

  2. @

    @ Guest

    Heh. They'll turn the RNC into a Critical Mess. It's pretty hard to catch
    cyclists violating traffic laws with limited police deployment. They move
    very quickly, and can go almost anywhere.

    It's about time for pro-American pro-freedom protesters gave the Liar in
    Chief and his criminal cronies the finger. Just say "No" to Republican
    crimes.

    @

    news:[email protected]

  3. "@" <@@@.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
    > Heh. They'll turn the RNC into a Critical Mess. It's pretty hard to

    catch
    > cyclists violating traffic laws with limited police deployment. They move
    > very quickly, and can go almost anywhere.
    >
    > It's about time for pro-American pro-freedom protesters gave the Liar in
    > Chief and his criminal cronies the finger. Just say "No" to Republican
    > crimes.

    Why don't they just register and vote the bad guys out?

    --
    When I was in politics, we would never
    dream of telling a lie in order to gain an

    Brooks Gregory

  4. ZenIsWhen

    ZenIsWhen Guest

    "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate traffic laws on
    > purpose.

    As opposed to insanely corrupt George Bush - a disgrace to humanity?

  5. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:05:26 -0400, "ZenIsWhen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate traffic laws on
    >> purpose.

    >As opposed to insanely corrupt George Bush - a disgrace to humanity?

    How come drunk drivers don't give cars a bad name? <bfg>

    -B

  6. On 2004-07-09, Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:05:26 -0400, "ZenIsWhen" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate traffic laws on
    >>> purpose.

    >>As opposed to insanely corrupt George Bush - a disgrace to humanity?
    >>

    > How come drunk drivers don't give cars a bad name? <bfg>

    Good point. Shouldn't ALL drivers be ashamed of themselves because of
    drunk drivers? Critical massers don't mame and kill people last time I
    checked.

    Preston

  7. Mark Weaver

    Mark Weaver Guest

    > They will claim the war was all for oil and offer plenty of anti-Bush
    > invective - all while balancing on two wheels.
    >
    > Putting the bicycle to political use, thousands of demonstrators plan to
    > swarm the city during the Republican National Convention, blocking streets
    > and flouting traffic laws as they spin through midtown.

    If they want to protest, fine -- but protesting as bicyclists is a lousy
    idea. That is, unless, of course, they want to assure that any future
    Republican administration (including, let's face it, GW's possible second
    term) goes out of its way to stick it to the interests of cyclists.

    You can advocate for cycling and also protest the war in Iraq without doing
    both at the same time. Sheesh.

  8. ie

    ie Guest

    They tried that in Florida in 2000---it doesn't work that way...

    > Why don't they just register and vote the bad guys out?
    >

    > --
    > When I was in politics, we would never
    > dream of telling a lie in order to gain an
    > advantage over our opponent. Now,
    > just look at those lying rascals. <G>
    >
    > Brooks Gregory

  9. Paul Cassel

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Elwood Blues wrote:
    > This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate traffic laws on
    > purpose.

    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/n...0,2487081.story?coll=ny-nycpolitics-headlines

    As a right winger myself, I think the R's deserve any punishment they get
    for being so damn stupid as to plan their convention in NYC. It'd be as
    stupid as the D's planning theirs in Selma, AL. I mean people this just plan
    dumb deserve the worst that man and nature can dish out to them.

    I only wish I was near NYC so I could get on my bike and join the protest.
    Not that I agree with the protesters, but just to add to the punishment as
    sort of a Darwinian punctuation point.

    -paul

  10. di

    di Guest

> [...]

    > "[Police] want to let the ride run its course, and that's the fastest,
    > easiest way to deal with it," said Noah Budnick, project coordinator for
    > Transportation Alternatives, a pedestrian and bicyclist group that used to
    > sponsor rides a decade ago.
    >
    > The Police Department did not respond to a request for comment. The city
    > Department of Transportation referred calls to the Police Department.
    >
    > There are several reasons why a bike saddle makes a fine soapbox,

    protesters
    > say.
    >
    > Bicycling softens protesters' image, and conveys an environmental message
    > without a placard. Riders also acknowledge the tactical advantage of two
    > wheels during confrontations with cops.
    >
    > Alex S. Vitale, a sociology professor at Brooklyn College who studies how
    > police respond to demonstrations, said, "There's a greater possibility of

    Have you noticed the advocators and supporters of this thread are not
    regular posters to this NG, could it be some kind of organized BS ??

  11. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    >> Why don't they just register and vote the bad guys out?

    "ie" [email protected]

    wrote in part:

    >They tried that in Florida in 2000---it doesn't work that way...

    Yeah, it really stinks when you can't persuade enough voters to vote the way
    you want them to vote. <g>
    BTW, you should learn to quote and stop top posting. It would make reading and
    responding to your posts much easier.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  12. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote:

    >Have you noticed the advocators and supporters of this thread are not
    >regular posters to this NG, could it be some kind of organized BS ?

    Organized? No. BS? Yes.

  13. > This is a disgrace to bicycling. They openly violate
    > traffic laws on purpose.

    Oh dear Lord, what a *terrible* disgrace!

    > They will claim the war was all for oil

    No! Say it ain't so!

    Please just get a grip, Elwood, you dork.

    --
    Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
    http://www.irobotmovie.com/

  14. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Paul Cassel" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I only wish I was near NYC so I could get on my bike and join the protest.
    >Not that I agree with the protesters, but just to add to the punishment as
    >sort of a Darwinian punctuation point.

    Just a thought - if you want lawmakers to have evil thoughts every
    time a piece of legislation that would help cyclists comes across
    their desks, this would be a great way to do it (no matter which
    party's convention you're disrupting).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  15. Steve-o

    Steve-o Guest

    On 10 Jul 2004 02:53:15 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

    >Yeah, it really stinks when you can't persuade enough voters to vote the way
    >you want them to vote. <g>

    Yeah, it really stinks when thousands of voters from heavily minority
    and democratic districts are suddenly, magically, and without cause,
    un-registered and not allowed to vote by the republican candidate's
    brother's administration. <g>

    Cheers,
    Steve

  16. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote:

    >Yeah, it really stinks when thousands of voters from heavily minority
    >and democratic districts are suddenly, magically, and without cause,
    >un-registered and not allowed to vote by the republican candidate's
    >brother's administration. <g>

    And what stinks even worse is when such baseless canards are repeated as if
    they were fact despite a year long investigation and complete vote recount by a
    consortium of news agencies concluded:
    1) there's little if any proof of allegations of widespread vote fraud,
    2) that any vote fraud that did occur happened on *both* sides of the campaign
    and likely had no effect on the outcome and,
    3) that the candidate that was eventually declared the winner actually *did*
    win.

    But enough politics- does the Discovery Channel's team sponsorship deal
    *require* Armstrong to ride past this season? I know he's announced that he'll
    ride in 2005 but is his individual contract part of the three year sponsorship
    deal?

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  17. aeiouy

    aeiouy Guest

    "Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Steve-o [email protected]

    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yeah, it really stinks when thousands of voters from heavily minority
    > >and democratic districts are suddenly, magically, and without cause,
    > >un-registered and not allowed to vote by the republican candidate's
    > >brother's administration. <g>

    > And what stinks even worse is when such baseless canards are repeated as

    if
    > they were fact despite a year long investigation and complete vote recount

    by a
    > consortium of news agencies concluded:
    > 1) there's little if any proof of allegations of widespread vote fraud,

    Strike One!
    http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=122&row=2

    > 2) that any vote fraud that did occur happened on *both* sides of the

    campaign
    > and likely had no effect on the outcome and,

    Strike TWO!
    > 3) that the candidate that was eventually declared the winner actually

    *did*
    > win.

    Ssssstttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrkkkkkeeeee THREE! You're out...or at least Bush
    will be come November

    > But enough politics- does the Discovery Channel's team sponsorship deal
    > *require* Armstrong to ride past this season? I know he's announced that

    he'll
    > ride in 2005 but is his individual contract part of the three year

    sponsorship
    > deal?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Hunt

  18. Steve-o

    Steve-o Guest

    On 11 Jul 2004 01:57:31 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

    >And what stinks even worse is when such baseless canards are repeated as if
    >they were fact despite a year long investigation and complete vote recount by a
    >consortium of news agencies concluded:

    Le canard, non. Baseless, no.

    >1) there's little if any proof of allegations of widespread vote fraud,

    U.S. Commission on Civil Rights:
    • At least one unauthorized law enforcement checkpoint was set up
    resulting in an investigation by state authorities.
    • Non-felons were removed from voter checklists based on unreliable
    information in connection with state-sponsored felony purge policies.
    • Old and defective election equipment was found in poor precincts.
    • Many Haitian-Americans and Puerto Rican voters were not provided
    language assistance when it was requested.
    • Many African-Americans did not cast ballots because they were
    assigned to polling sites that did not have the resources to confirm
    eligibility status.
    • Voter registration applications were not processed in a timely
    manner under the National Voter Registration Act.

    http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/03/09/florida.election/
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/06/08/florida.vote/

    >2) that any vote fraud that did occur happened on *both* sides of the campaign
    >and likely had no effect on the outcome and,

    Gore didn't have his Florida campaign chairperson in charge of the
    voting, nor his brother running the state.

    For perspective:

    The former head of a country's secret police has a son, and the son
    becomes president of that country -- despite losing the popular vote
    -- based on suspect, hotly-contested, and unresolved results from a
    state run by his brother.

    If the US media reported a story like that from any other country in
    the world, we'd be up in arms about the injustice of it all, and we'd
    be all self-righteous'n'stuff and blabbering about how that would
    never happen here 'cuz this is the greatest goddamn country in the
    world and if you don't like it you can jus' go somewhere else you
    unpatriotic bastard. Like that. We'd likely even invade them to
    enforce our peculiar version of democracy, if they had oil.

    That won't happen though, because US media doesn't report news from
    anywhere else unless Americans are getting killed or taken hostage.
    (Quick -- who won the election in Canada on June 28th?) But that's
    another non-bicycle-related thread.

    >3) that the candidate that was eventually declared the winner actually *did*
    >win.

    He was effectively appointed to the presidency by the US Supreme Court
    by default when it suspended the counting of the votes ordered by the
    Florida Supreme Court. :)

    Cheers,
    Steve

    p.s. I like bikes

  19. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/n...0,2487081.story?coll=ny-nycpolitics-headlines

    =v= Sigh. So many inaccuracies, so little time. Lemme
    interject a few facts here.

    =v= Contrary to the Subject: header, Critical Mass isn't
    "planning" anything. Critical Mass is not an organization that
    makes plans, it's an event and a movement. Probably the most
    accurate quote in that article is, "The ride has a life of its
    own." Exactly. Critical Mass is traffic and behaves as such.

    =v= Critical Mass in NYC takes place on the last Friday of the
    month, as it does in many locations. (A new Brooklyn CM takes
    place on the second Friday of the month.) This happens to be
    shortly before the RNC. CM in NYC will go on as scheduled,
    quite independently of the RNC, but of course there will be
    many on bikes (as well as on foot and in subways) who'll have
    something to say about the Republicans coming to town to further
    exploit the 9/11 tragedy.

    =v= There is an organization involved, but it's not "Critical
    Mass," it's TIME'S UP! Details here:

    http://www.times-up.org/

    TIME'S UP! is an environmental group that organizes a number
    of rides for self-propelled people. They help quit a bit with
    Critical Mass, and every three months or so will come up with
    a destination for an after-party or some other event.

    =v= TIME'S UP! is organizing something called the Bike National
    Convention, a number of events planned as a positive alternative
    to the RNC -- including a presence at Critical Mass. See the
    above website for details.

    =v= There will be demonstrations on bicycles during the RNC.
    These are called "Bike Blocs" in New York City. They are not
    "Critical Mass," but they do share something with CM: they
    are bicyclists taking their rightful place on the street,
    and thus do not need permits -- any more than, say, cars with
    political bumper stickers.

    =v= _Newsday_ talked to some folks in TIME'S UP! and ignored the
    vast majority of what those folks said. Context, nuance, and
    indeed, most adjectives, were absent from the article. I hope
    that some of what I've written here provides the context that
    the article lacks.
    <_Jym_>

    P.S.: _High_Times_ just published a more accurate article about
    the BNC and RNC demonstrations. Imagine _High_Times_ being a
    better news source than _Newsday_!

  20. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Have you noticed the advocators and supporters of this thread
    > are not regular posters to this NG, could it be some kind of
    > organized BS ??

    =v= I'm not sure whom you're referring to. Explain?
    <_Jym_>