critical mass = total douchebags

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ken Papai, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. crit pro

    crit pro Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Thomas Jefferson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:nW7Yc.1147$w%6.738
    > @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > Thank you for making that plain. It may be time for a little revolution.
    > > Good for the soul of the body politic, don't you think?
    > >

    > How about just ammending the constitution?
    > A lot less blood would be spilled.

    OT wrong newsgroup.

  2. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:07:08 GMT, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Howard Kveck wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:p[email protected]

    >>>disrupt

    >>>Protesters are often weakminded,

    >> ????????
    >>

    >People who never protest or disagree are strong minded.
    >
    >Well, OK, maybe not.

    It's about being independent isn't it.

    Among the protestors are an awful lot of lemmings. Just because they belong to a
    smaller, noisier march of lemmings doesn't make them something else.

    Ron

  3. Jack Hollis

    Jack Hollis Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:54:20 GMT, Howard Kveck
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> My point about weakminded is those numbers who love the mob mentality
    >> and love a good riot without knowing the issues.

    There's an old saying that for evey 10 people engaged in the protest
    movement there is one dangerous person, eight sheep and one police
    informant.

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I can't stand leftie hippie retards who think they have to right to

    disrupt
    > other people's lives with their pointless and misguided political
    > statements. And what's worse, these douchebags (the vast majority of whom
    > don't even ride regularly)

    I don't know about that, are you saying they are just anarchists that grab
    bike when when they want to cause problems? I think they are mostly bike
    messenger anarchists. Somehow following the rules of the road is repugnant
    to them, I assume because they make more money when they ignore the laws,
    and they spend most of their day with like-minded people.

    >succeed only in giving motorist a dim view of
    > cyclists, the price of which is paid by racers who have to deal with the
    > lingering ill-will months/years after the stupid protest (that they had
    > nothing to do with) has ended.
    >
    > They ought to throw all those fuckers in jail.

    I think most cities do, don't they? It is probably the worst in San
    Francisco, as far as tolerating the morons. I have heard New York city is
    also very tolerant. I think most other places put them in jail because even
    SF does if they get really stupid (or just more stupid than regularly).

    I do remember once being behind them in rush hour traffic coming off the
    freeway in the south-central part of SF and I remember wishing I was on my
    bike so that I could confront them and their idiocy. There was no way they
    would pay attention to a dude in a car because obviously their intention is
    to get drivers pissed off. There is always a chance at making them think
    twice if a guy that is also on a bike, though even that is doubtful. I am
    not complaining, but it is really OT because those guys are about as far
    from being cyclists as anyone on two wheels can be.

  5. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    RonSonic wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:07:08 GMT, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Howard Kveck wrote:

    >>> ????????
    >>>

    >>People who never protest or disagree are strong minded.
    >>
    >>Well, OK, maybe not.

    > It's about being independent isn't it.
    >
    > Among the protestors are an awful lot of lemmings. Just because they belong to a
    > smaller, noisier march of lemmings doesn't make them something else.

    I think you've nailed it.

    --

    --------------------

    Remove CLOTHES to reply

  6. Dave Casey

    Dave Casey Guest

  7. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:03:31 GMT, Dave Casey wrote:
    >> OT wrong newsgroup.

    > Now, that's funny coming from you.

    Especially since the alleged off-topicness concerned the increasing of
    blood volume.

  8. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote .com...

    > "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]
    > > I can't stand leftie hippie retards who think they have to right to

    > disrupt
    > > other people's lives with their pointless and misguided political
    > > statements. And what's worse, these douchebags (the vast majority of

    whom
    > > don't even ride regularly)

    > I don't know about that, are you saying they are just anarchists that grab
    > bike when when they want to cause problems? I think they are mostly bike
    > messenger anarchists. Somehow following the rules of the road is repugnant
    > to them, I assume because they make more money when they ignore the laws,
    > and they spend most of their day with like-minded people.
    >
    > >succeed only in giving motorist a dim view of
    > > cyclists, the price of which is paid by racers who have to deal with the
    > > lingering ill-will months/years after the stupid protest (that they had
    > > nothing to do with) has ended.
    > >
    > > They ought to throw all those fuckers in jail.

    > I think most cities do, don't they? It is probably the worst in San
    > Francisco, as far as tolerating the morons. I have heard New York city is
    > also very tolerant. I think most other places put them in jail because

    even
    > SF does if they get really stupid (or just more stupid than regularly).
    >
    > I do remember once being behind them in rush hour traffic coming off the
    > freeway in the south-central part of SF and I remember wishing I was on my
    > bike so that I could confront them and their idiocy. There was no way they
    > would pay attention to a dude in a car because obviously their intention

    is
    > to get drivers pissed off. There is always a chance at making them think
    > twice if a guy that is also on a bike, though even that is doubtful. I am
    > not complaining, but it is really OT because those guys are about as far
    > from being cyclists as anyone on two wheels can be.

    They are simply just POBs (people on bikes). Usually not even at tourist
    level. Or hippies on bikes be that as it may.

    Most of the bike messenger POBs actually smoke cigs, wear key chains
    and all ride the wrong way down one-way streets if it suits their purpose.

    A super counter-culture all their own...

    -Ken

  9. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    Ken Papai wrote in part:

    <<
    Most of the bike messenger POBs actually smoke cigs, wear key chains
    and all ride the wrong way down one-way streets if it suits their purpose. >>

    They also tend to ride about 12,000 miles
    a year.

    Robert

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I can't stand leftie hippie retards who think they have to right to

    disrupt
    > other people's lives with their pointless and misguided political
    > statements.

    The only thing I can think of that's more retarded than Critical Mass is
    someone that wants to advertise them still more.

  11. aeiouy

    aeiouy Guest

  12. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That would interesting to know just how many knew the issues really well,
    > but no way to put stats on that without talking to every single one of them.

    Well, wouldn't that apply to you, too? That's why I mentioned that I
    thought you'd made a gross overgeneralization earlier. Anyway, I based my
    observation on having spent time talking to and listening to a raft of
    people at those events. It seemed fair to extrapolate a bit from that.

    > The rabid mentality runs in packs and usually aren't interested in dialogue,
    > often people who don't understand the issues take that route.

    That's certainly true and goes across the board on most issues.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Let's turn dining back into eating."
    The Descendents

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  13. Ken Papai <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    > > I do remember once being behind them in rush hour traffic coming off the
    > > freeway in the south-central part of SF and I remember wishing I was on my
    > > bike so that I could confront them and their idiocy.

    Dude, you were driving in rush-hour traffic in SF. Critical Mess
    was just a pimple on the great pustulent boil of your misery.

    > They are simply just POBs (people on bikes). Usually not even at tourist
    > level. Or hippies on bikes be that as it may.
    > Most of the bike messenger POBs actually smoke cigs, wear key chains
    > and all ride the wrong way down one-way streets if it suits their purpose.

    > A super counter-culture all their own...

    The worst bike messenger ones also race cyclocross. That's how you
    know they're sick, demented deviants, a danger to all right-thinking
    Americans and their purity of essence.

  14. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  15. karlwithak

    karlwithak Guest

    i live in nyc, and i saw the cops throwing the zip tie cuffs on some
    of these people while they blocked 9th ave.

    It was totally uncool. the cops were pissed and the obviously
    unemployed "protesters" were way out of line. There is way too much
    going on in the city for this shit. I dont even think most of them
    realized exactly what they were doing and the potential trouble they
    were risking.

    I doubt we will see any more critical mass rides in NYC ever

  16. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    RonSonic wrote:

    > Message gotten: The opposition smells bad and acts worse.
    >
    > Ron

    Funny. But not, really. The 5,000 critical massers probably weren't
    really bikers. So they probably didn't smell as bad.

  17. Ken Prager

    Ken Prager Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (karlwithak) wrote:

    > i live in nyc, and i saw the cops throwing the zip tie cuffs on some
    > of these people while they blocked 9th ave.
    >
    > It was totally uncool. the cops were pissed and the obviously
    > unemployed "protesters" were way out of line. There is way too much
    > going on in the city for this shit. I dont even think most of them
    > realized exactly what they were doing and the potential trouble they
    > were risking.

    Which was "totally uncool?" The cops, the protesters, or both.

    > I doubt we will see any more critical mass rides in NYC ever

    Because the cops won't allow it or because the protesters are afraid?

    KP

    --
    Remove _me_ for e-mail address

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]_TOOyahoo.com says...

    >"Thomas Jefferson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:nW7Yc.1147$w%6.738
    >@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> Thank you for making that plain. It may be time for a little revolution.
    >> Good for the soul of the body politic, don't you think?
    >>

    >How about just ammending the constitution?
    >A lot less blood would be spilled.

    Politicians don't care about blood spillage since it is rarely theres that
    gets spilled.
    ---------------
    Alex

  19. karlwithak

    karlwithak Guest

    > Because the cops won't allow it or because the protesters are afraid?
    >
    > KP

    back in the Rudy days you could count on him acting in a vendetta
    kinda way with everything

    I think Bloomberg is pretty much the same. the cops, i think will not
    look the other way any more when the wack pack of tree huggers rides
    again

  20. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ken Prager <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (karlwithak) wrote:
    >
    > > i live in nyc, and i saw the cops throwing the zip tie cuffs on some
    > > of these people while they blocked 9th ave.
    > >
    > > It was totally uncool. the cops were pissed and the obviously
    > > unemployed "protesters" were way out of line. There is way too much
    > > going on in the city for this shit. I dont even think most of them
    > > realized exactly what they were doing and the potential trouble they
    > > were risking.

    > Which was "totally uncool?" The cops, the protesters, or both.

    From Cyclingnews:
    Another cyclist told CNN , "The police actually caused more
    disruptions than the cyclists because they blocked off roads- at one point
    for as long as an hour and a half- whereas the cyclists were always moving."

    The rest is at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug29news