Critical Mass Tunnel Freaks

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:57:22 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i
> l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
>
> >Then again, perhaps if they had not illegally blocked the intersection without a police escort,
> >it wouldn't have happened.

> How many times have you been blocked by other traffic because one driver broke a law or did
> something stupid? Did you ram them?

How many times have I had my car surrounded by knife-wielding maniacs on bicycles? Never. Would I
ram one to get away? Probably. Have I found myself on the receiving end of a maniac in a car? Yes.
Did I break laws while getting away? Yes. Would I ram a car, pedestrian or cyclist for blocking an
intersection? Of course not. Have I ever seen anyone purposely blocking an intersection while on a
bicycle? Only in the tales that come from a CM ride.

> Jeep jerk used his vehicle as a weapon to intimidate and then hit people because he couldn't
> control his temper and you're willing to condone his behaviour. That sucks.

I'm not condoning his behavior for the happenings at the first intersection. I'm symapthetic to his
position at the second intersection. I've been in a crowd when things got violent and I know what it
is like to be scared of what might happen next. What sucks in this situation is that so many CM
supporters think that the CM participants in this matter are saintly. They acted like a bunch of
hooligans and escalated what was a bad thing to begin with.

-Buck

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:15:12 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:25:52 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Ted"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ok, the next time you are laying in your yard near death, have one of your CM buddies bike you to
>>the hospital. No need to suck up to an auto. Also make sure the paramedics do not suck up to an
>>auto by driving to your house. They can also bike or walk there.
>
>Well zilchwit, if the streets were blocked with cars or otherwise impassable, Vancouver's
>para-medics would arrive by bicycle ahead of an ambulance.

Also, if emergency vehicles were the only cars on the road, you'd get their services much quicker.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace a smelly meat is a lovely penguin!
7:42:45 PM 1 July 2003

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:41:58 GMT, <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i
l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote: \snip

>I'm not condoning his behavior for the happenings at the first intersection. I'm symapthetic to his
>position at the second intersection. I've been in a crowd when things got violent and I know what
>it is like to be scared of what might happen next. What sucks in this situation is that so many CM
>supporters think that the CM participants in this matter are saintly. They acted like a bunch of
>hooligans and escalated what was a bad thing to begin with.

Not saintly, merely human. Tell me a commuter, roadie or mountain biker has never run down,
threatened and/or otherwise engaged a raging cager in some intense communication. Honestly.

A few individuals. A minuscule percentage of the movement as it stood two year ago in Austin.
Vancouver's rides were also more confrontational at one point. It takes some degree of awareness
among the participants that we are not out for confrontation or gloves-off actions. We're there as a
reminder that they're our streets too. We're there to flaunt that fact and to accomplish this we
need to maintain some level of social decorum. One way is by demonstrating that it's more fun to
ride a bike than sit in a car going nowhere.

The hardest thing for some minds to grasp is that CM is not a structured organisation. It's more
like an organism in that it's evolving and adapting to its environment. Nobody, except the redneck
media maybe, wants people on bikes to be branded hooligans or knife-weilding maniacs. Some people on
the rides might be kinda new to the non-violent approach and slip into their old ways when pressed
but you'd probably find CM has developed a kinder, gentler approach in cities where the movement has
thrived and grown. That's why all these negative stories you collect about bad CM rides are mostly
old news and isolated incidents.

Remember there are millions of people, from all walks of life riding their bikes together in
Critical Mass rides, all over the western world, every last Friday, every month of the year. Yet not
many make the news. Why's that you figure?
--
zk

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, the next time you are laying in your yard near death, have one of your CM buddies bike you to
> the hospital. No need to suck up to an auto. Also make sure the paramedics do not suck up to an
> auto by driving to your house. They can also bike or walk there.

No one is saying "eliminate ALL moror vehicles." I recommend you seek balance. Balance in your use
of polluting and greener technologies. Try balancing your selfish indignation with reasoned
argument, your need to attempt clever posts with reading and comprehending the thread.

speaking of balancing I'm still trying to reconcile driving my gas guzzling and paid for SUV and
commuting on my Lightning Phantom. Who should I suck up to? The damn autos or the CM bas**rds?

>It takes some degree of awareness among the participants that we are not out for confrontation or
>gloves-off actions. We're there as a reminder that they're our streets too.

Zoot, I'm out there too. I''m not out to remind anyone that there are courteous cyclists on the
road. I'm out there to get to work, or the store, or whatever. Maybe I'm out there to ride fast to
nowhere in particular. But I'm out there.

>We're there to flaunt that fact and to accomplish this we need to maintain some level of
>social decorum. One way is by demonstrating that it's more fun to ride a bike than sit in a
>car going nowhere.

You're making it harder for me to ride correctly in dense urban traffic. Just like messengers do.
Anybody who doesn't ride in a rule based manner creates bad expectations on the part of other road
users. That impacts on me.

And that is why I think CM is full of ****.

I remind you that I have worked hard to build my skills as far as traffic riding is concerned. I'm
pretty good at it. I'd put my traffic skills as, well, better than Martha Stewart stuffing a turkey.

As far as I'm concerned CM is Martha going to jail.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:39:59 -0400, <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Anybody who doesn't ride in a rule based manner creates bad expectations on the part of other road
> users. That impacts on me.

What percentage of drivers who have seen a Critical Mass ride are impacting you who wouldn't have
otherwise? Or, is that alleged impact due to what the media reports about CM?

The media doesn't report non-events. But may have an agenda to paint cycling in a negative light
because of the owner's political position, so they'll grasp at any chance, regardless of how remote,
to disparage cycling and cyclists.

Those jerks you claim are impacting you were there long before people started pointing at CM as an
excuse for the way they treat cyclists. Their lousy behaviour toward cyclists gets tacit approval
every time their inattention, incompetence or aggressiveness kills a cyclist and they're not
sanctioned by our car-centric society. CM is a response to this situation, not the cause of it.

>And that is why I think CM is full of ****.

I think the status quo is full of ****. CM is partly culture jamming, partly political activism and
partly a street social.
--
zk

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:42:48 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

>You weren't involved so you don't know the sequence of events. The

Neither were you, and do you.

>printed report was the driver's side of the story. The story I read reported two punches were
>thrown when he got out of the vehicle after he'd run over a bike and smashed into a car. His

Still wrong.

>tires, not his body, was assaulted with a weapon though it's

If you saw ten Hell's Angels approaching your bike from all sides, some armed with knives, what
would your response be?

>understandable how you'd be willing to make excuses for scumbags.

Oh, really? Why, pray tell.

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (SouthBayBent) writes:
> "Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Ok, the next time you are laying in your yard near death, have one of your CM buddies bike you to
>> the hospital. No need to suck up to an auto. Also make sure the paramedics do not suck up to an
>> auto by driving to your house. They can also bike or walk there.
>
> No one is saying "eliminate ALL moror vehicles." I recommend you seek balance. Balance in your use
> of polluting and greener technologies. Try balancing your selfish indignation with reasoned
> argument, your need to attempt clever posts with reading and comprehending the thread.

Sounds good to me.

> speaking of balancing I'm still trying to reconcile driving my gas guzzling and paid for SUV and
> commuting on my Lightning Phantom.

Let your own conscience be your guide. It'll know what to do, regardless of what anyone else says.

> Who should I suck up to?

Nobody.

> The damn autos or the CM bas**rds?

cheers, Tom