Critical Mass

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by charliechops, Oct 26, 2005.

1. charliechops

charliechops New Member

Has anyone been involved in a Critical Mass ride in their state? If so, what's it all about? etc etc:confused:

Tags:

2. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

several guys on the "aus.bicycle" sub-forum in 'The Bike Cafe' do a bit of "Massing"

3. nitrous

nitrous New Member

Bunch of people get together and block traffic on a friday evening at 5pm when people are trying to get home for the weekend. In Melbourne, they have ridden over thge West Gate Bridge and I think through the domain tunnel.

They think they are doing a service for all cyclists, showing that cycling is a good alternative to driving the car. In my view, all they are doing is making car drivers more angry towards cyclists and generally undoing the good work of proper groups such as Bicycle Victoria, who campaign in a more organised and less anarchistic fashion.

Stay away and join BV (or the relevant organisation in your state) instead. Your money will go towards improving facilities, awareness and bike lanes.

4. 531Aussie

MATE!! Duck for cover!!:D

I got hammered for 6 pages for daring to similarly criticizing them :)

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2137140#post2137140

5. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

I would have thought on this forum, people might acknowledge that bikes are legitimate road traffic. Oh, well - it is human nature to be critical of something you don't understand.

I've recently become involved in CM. It is great, you hand out cycling brouchures that encourage people to cycle, you meet people (the non cranky types), you have fun.

Why do people want to howl down those who enjoy their commute? I don't know.

I missed the law that states commuting MUST be a stressful, heart attack inducing experience.

BTW, after one CM, you'll note we don't hold up the cars, for 90% of the time, they are holding us up

Scotty

6. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

Where does the CM happen in Sydney? Is there one in Parramatta?

7. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

]

Tomorrow evening (last friday of the month)

Hyde Park North (at the Fountain)

Meet at 5:30 - 6pm

Come along

Parra one died.

8. crazney

crazney New Member

In Melbourne:

Meet last Friday of the month (Today), 5.30 to 6 at the state library. It's not necessarily about blocking traffic, it's about whatever you want it to be about. Come along and find out for yourself.

9. charliechops

charliechops New Member

What about Brizvegas? When is the ride there? Do you get many peolpe along?

10. nitrous

nitrous New Member

Too funny!

My main questions for those who are Pro CM are:

If you are doing such a service for cyclists, why is it that Bicycle Victoria doesn't endorse you, and doesn't recommend people get involved?
    Why do you do your rides on Friday evening peak hour?

You can try justify yourselves as much as you like, but the simple fact is I find more agression towards me from drivers in the days immediately following a CM that it would seem to me that CM makes drivers angry, not what road using cyclists should be trying to achieve.

Grow up, take your political statements to parliament and stop antagonising drivers (who in their mind are the only ones entitled to use the road) and join in a well organised activity such as Ride to Work Day if you want to show that cyclists and motorists can live in harmony!

Now, I'll sit back and allow you all to flame me for the next 6 pages. I'd rather you vent some of your anger towards me on this forum, than towards the drivers that use the roads that I cycle on.

11. 531Aussie

12. charliechops

charliechops New Member

Loooks like I reopened a can of worms.Sorry bout that.I probably should of checked out previous forums.I was reading about a Critical Mass ride due to take place in London this friday in 'Cycling Weekly'. Apparently the police are going to arrest people for taking part in it.

13. Dancier

Dancier New Member

And you deserved it too, :rolleyes: :D :D have dared venture back there. They get a bit carried away sometimes, exspecially when it's close to the heart.

14. 531Aussie

I was looking forward to talking crap about bikes when I got onto that sub-forum, but I felt as though I intruded on a lefty clique....dunno :p

15. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Your sweeping generalization of CM participants is about as accurate and well founded as this.

You must be a pro-oil, big business, enviro-hating, car loving troll.

Now, do we both feel better because we have added a thoughtful comment to the sum total of human knowledge?

16. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Perhaps if people listened instead of just talking (notice I didn't say spoke)...

What political message? We are traffic? Perhaps if the tens of thousands of cars who clog up the streets instead took their message to parliament too... Those thousands of pedestrians who pass by the town hall (my God, some even loiter) should get a fricken permit.

As for your comments about BV? When was it elevated to Diety status? When did it become omnipotent? If it is anything like BNSW then commuter cyclists don't enter their heads. They make their money out of recreational events thus they like rec cyclists. Commuters don't make them money. State level bicycle organiations either represent Joe Wobble the rec. or the lycra brigade.

In fact, if and when BV or BNSW decide to endorse CM, that is when I know CM has sold out.

Personally, I find the commutes after CM more relaxing, as the drivers are more aware... (about as factual as your statement).

As for why we ride during peak hour. It shuold be obvious that peak hour is the time commuters want to ride. I suppose you yell at cars drivers at 6pm, "Why do you drive now? You're disrupting traffic". I suspect you realise that is silly, but your ingrained car culture wont extend that logic to the bicycle.

Anyway, you can feel better. Apparently I've flamed you and now you are a sort of martyr for some cause... :)

Scotty

17. smartie

smartie New Member

Critical Mass does itself no favours by their actions. They ARE intended to cause disruprion to vehicular traffic in Melbourne although they have not been so outlandish lately. I cannot answer for Sydney as i have not seen or heard much from there. What other reason would there be to ride through the Domain or Burnley Tunnels, Melbournes busiest thoroughfares and designed to get traffic out of the middle of Melbourne, at peak on a Friday evening apart from to disrupt people trying to get home. The only message seen is "i don't give a damn about you, i will ride where i like, when i like. Just try and stop me."

Most of those on CM rides are not commuting, sure they may commute to work but but on these rides are recreational cyclists and are not really helping anyone (even the commuter cyclist) as they are just adding to the traffic congestion to get their vague message across.

Riders do deserve a better deal on the road, but taking such an anarchaic approach to dealing with the issue does not really assist as it gives the impression of a bunch of rabble (and who seriously listens to rabble). BV although in no way perfect, does a great deal in loggying on behalf of commuters at a level where they can get heard, and also supports the local BUG's.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to the traffic issues and rider awareness on roads, but the answer is not in stopping other commuters from going about their own business because you don't like the fact that they do not conform to your particular set of morals, ethics, or whatever.

18. 531Aussie

I don't wanna get into a whole thing about it, but...

Like I think I asked you on that other thread, do you know exactly what critical mass did down here, and how much it pissed everyone off?

by the way, is the "aus.bicycle" sub-forum a hang-out for "massers"? :)

19. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Once again, we don't disrupt traffic. We are the traffic! Last night we averaged about 6 - 7 km/h. Would that be because we are all stuck in the granny gear? No, it is because of hundreds of cars choking up the roads ahead. Now, who is disrupting traffic? Correct answer - all those bloody cars. Why can't you see that? You are stuck in the whole car-culture round-a-about (sorry about the pun).

I can't comment on what Melbourne CM did or did not allegedly do. Haven't been to Melbourne in 15 years and hope it is at least that long before I need to go back - therefore, I have no perspective on it.

You say that because we are not necessarily commuting we have no right to be there. Rather draconian I think. Would you advocate that all drivers who are not on their way to/from work should be rounded up and hounded off the road. How many of the car trips are unnecessary? How many are just out for a drive? Arrest those people? Have YOU never just gotten into your car to go for a drive. You can see why I think you a hyppocrite.

I'm glad you think that advocacy means sit in the corner and shut up.

Imagine if Rosa Parkes, Martin Luther King Jnr etc. just gave in to the xenophobic masses, sat in their corner and never got their message out in a disruptive manner. Then again, you do seem to like crushing those who dare to ask for their rights.

You must be salivating at these new terror laws - shoot anyone who dissents...

Scotty

20. smartie

smartie New Member

There is nothing hypocritical about what i have written. Should i wish to go out for a drive in my car i do not choose peak hour in high congestion areas on any day to do it and nor would i want to get a bunch of mates on bikes to do the same thing. Sitting in traffic crawling along is not pleasant at any time. The point i was making was that slowing traffic even further by performing stunt rides is of benefit to no-one except the egos of those who believe they can change the world by anarchy. Rather than abusing all people who have a differing opinion to yours, you should understand the difficulties other people face from the flow-on effects of the actions of CM and respect the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as you.

It is naive to think (or just simple bloody mindedness) that CM rides don't add to the traffic congestion and that they don't affect traffic as they can ride at the same speed. By adding 50 or so bicycles into peak hour they probably have the effect of adding 20 or so cars. This slows traffic by changing how quickly cars get through traffic lights etc. This has the simple effect of slowing cars dramatically as they are held up by the flow-on effect of those bicycles. If those riders then make their way onto more open / faster roads like the freeways they then have a huge effect.

The situation i believe is different in Melbourne to Sydney. Although i have never been to Sydney (and unlike you would like to visit there one day) the road system in Melbourne is more structured and improving with the roadwork improvements that are happening. Sydney began as a penal colony with its chaotic road infrastructure which was based on veritable nineteenth century goat tracks that have not been able to keep pace with its growth. You should make the effort to come to Melbourne to see what has been done by our cycling advocacy bodies to improve things for cyclists, rather than bag them without any knowledge of how they are attempting to make life safer and better on a bike.

This subject has in the past and again now makes for a rather good debate on a number of fronts. But the only offer you ever see from CM supporters is to remove cars from the roads as they are smelly, dirty, antisocial oil-burning monoliths that should be banned immediately. Although it is an admirable thought, that isn't going to happen in the near future and should be accepted (even grudgingly).