critique my new bike build...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sma, Nov 19, 2006.

1. sma

sma New Member

i'm going to be getting a new bike in a few months that will be my "dream bike" in that it will be pretty much everything i want in my bike and not have to worry about wanting to upgrade all the time in the future...

Moots VaMoots titanium frame
    Easton EC90SL carbon fork
    Chris King headset
    Easton EA70 Wing (aluminum)
    Easton EA90 stem
    Shimano Dura Ace double group set
    Easton EC70 carbon seatpost
    Mavic Ksyrium SL3 clinchers

While I realize that I have tons of options for each component, I've tried to narrow things down to a reasonable choice/weight and price. I am still up in the air on wheels, I don't know if I should just upgrade to the Ksyrium ES' or possibly the Campy Eurus or Zonda's. I definitely like unique spoke designs, and may even consider a set of Rolf Prima's.

I may upgrade to the Moots titanium seatpost and stem in the future, but they aren't that important to me right now.

This bike will be my fairweather bike and I will only ride it when the weather is nice. I plan on keeping my '01 Klein Quantum as a rainy day bike and to ride on the trainer.

Thoughts?

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

The ES' are pretty sweet, and since you've come this far, why not? ... Regardless, it's a nice build.

3. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

The ES are extremely overrated. Go (From what I have heard) Eurus or any campy wheel. Or you could always go DT swiss. If their RR1450 are anything like my wheels were you would love them.

4. PeterF

PeterF New Member

My race wheels are 2005 Campy Eurus. They are fantastic, smooth, strong, accelerate well and they didn't break the bank. I have heard mixed review of the more pricey 2006 Eurus' including from a riding buddie who's a serious Master's racer (and would know good wheels). He's been dissapointed with his 06 Eurus', especially in the stiffness department. FWIW, I have a set of Proton's that were a great value, and I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on Neutron's.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Campy wheels blow the pants off Ksryiums or anything from Rolf.

It'd be criminal to make your Moots a fairweather bike only. That's the sort of bike that needs to be out every day. My Moots Compact is happiest when she's dirty and wet.

6. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

05 Eurus= stainless spokes
    06 Eurus= aluminium spokes (Ksyrium style)

Thats why they are flexy.

If you see any Neutron for <$700 US please tell me.

7. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I've also heard that the Campy Eurus wheels are phenomenal...but isn't there a law against mixing Shimano and Campy parts? :D

8. sogood

sogood New Member

That's why there's Fulcrum!

Get a Fulcrum Racing 1 or Zero and all your worries are gone. :D

9. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

blah
    :p or just have some custom built with your fave hubs/ spokes/rims.
    i love chris king.... i want there S&P shakers :)

10. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I would stay away from DT Swiss rims for race wheels, as I have recently found out........................

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Seems like it should be a crime to put Shimano on a Moots--or any custom speced bike for that matter.

The Moots seatpost and stem are nice addition to a Moots frame. I am also using the King Ti bottle cages; it seemed like the right thing to do.

12. Fignon le Grand

Fignon le Grand New Member

Im really happy with my ES wheels, theyre light, durable and look cool. They have a slight flex when braking hard on decents but nothing serious and they ride quality is great a very nice souplesse.

Now go back to argueing with carbonguru..... :D

13. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Unless you are tied to EASTON (which you seem to be) for cosmetic reasons (?), I would recommend that you consider getting an Alpha Q fork -- the "standard" weight one (vs. the sub-300 gram one ... whatever it is called ... the sub-300 gram fork may give your MOOTS a tinnier ride than you'd otherwise expect) ...

AND, of course, I think you would be happier-in-the-long-run with a Campagnolo group EVEN THOUGH you are essentially a Flatlander because, if nothing else, you will find the shifts are FASTER (shorter stroke) with the Campagnolo shifters & Campagnolo shifters are "intuitive" (the chain moves in the direction the respective lever is being "pushed" -- how great is that?!?).

I can't speak to the SL3 wheels other than to say that the older SSC SL2 wheels are essentially maintenance free for the first 1200-to-2000 miles (everyone's mileage varies) ... and, then you can anticipate bearing/freehub maintenance issues to possibly manifest themselves -- definitely, by 3200 miles of use. If you do get the SL3 wheels, then you also want to get one of MAVIC's metal spoke wrenches because that plastic one that comes with the wheelset will be useless after the second-or-third spoke that you work on.

14. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I may have come off a little strong. They aren't a bad wheel, just over marketed and a bit overpriced.

15. sogood

sogood New Member

Actually that's a very interesting point. When I swapped over from Fulcrum R5 to ES, the first thing I noticed was the suppleness of the ride. Both wheelset were properly pressured and the R5 had 25mm tyres (UltraSport) vs the 23mm (GP4000) on the ES. I was pleasantly surprised by it but wasn't sure if the difference came from the wheel or the tyre.

16. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I will as long as it's not the last set.;)

17. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I've been told. $800AUD including postage. leave $100 for customs and it is still a great price.

18. sogood

sogood New Member

Care to share the source? ;)

19. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

theres no customs inc gst or tarifs on less than $1000. so your total price will be $800. the less than $1000 rule includes the shipping cost btw.

--brett

20. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

legend. Thanks.

Source is www.cyclesuperstore.ie