Critique my position - race photos

donm

Oct 30, 2006
Hi guys, I'm new to time trialling (I usually race duathlons) and below is a link to some pictures from my first race. I know my head position is less than ideal in one of the pics, but I was looking down at my PT display!

I'd be grateful for any tips on improving my position. I've found that I've adapted to the point where my power output in my current position is approximately the same (maybe 5W lower) than my output in a road position on the hoods. I'm planning to work gradually on lowering the front end, and have removed one spacer from the setup you see in the pictures, with no loss in power.

Thanks,
Don.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/donm79/

I don't have any real constructive criticism--your back could be flatter, but I know from personal experience that is hard to do.

However, I am curious: How tall are you, and what size planet X is that?

Thanks,
John

JohnMeyers said:
I don't have any real constructive criticism--your back could be flatter, but I know from personal experience that is hard to do.

However, I am curious: How tall are you, and what size planet X is that?

Thanks,
John
A touch over 6' and it's an M.

donm said:
A touch over 6' and it's an M.
Dont arch your back, rotate in the hips will flatten your back. stretch every chance you can (excpet maybe right before getting on the bike, but definatelt after and at night). Maybe, just maybe make your arms more 90 degrees and less superman, but if itc comfortable, by all means go for it. It really seems your darn close-the rest will have to come from flexibility and testing (as you know).

Also-you may know this too, but an aero helmet is key and last, Wheelbuilder sells a snap on disc wheel cover for wheels with powertaps.

Ray

If you can, drop your head way down as much as you can on the flats and downhills, this will reduce your frontal area considerably. Your stem is too long, try bringing your arms in and closer to your stomach, your elbows should sit under the center of your shoulders.

I will also be shortening my stem, I just realised after riding a MTB in the winter that my road bike stem is way too long, it felt quite uncomfortable the first day I took it out after winter.

-bikeguy

donm said:
Hi guys, I'm new to time trialling (I usually race duathlons) and below is a link to some pictures from my first race. I know my head position is less than ideal in one of the pics, but I was looking down at my PT display!

I'd be grateful for any tips on improving my position. I've found that I've adapted to the point where my power output in my current position is approximately the same (maybe 5W lower) than my output in a road position on the hoods. I'm planning to work gradually on lowering the front end, and have removed one spacer from the setup you see in the pictures, with no loss in power.

Thanks,
Don.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/donm79/

Don,

Contact Dr. Greg Combs at www.velosmart.com here in good ol' North Carolina right outside of Ft. Bragg. or write him at [email protected]. if you really want to get info on your position. i am not sure what he can do from still imagry but he may be able to help you with his services. The guy has done wonders for local riders here.

Joe