Critters in Oysters

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"Orion" says:
> >
> >This from NT...
> >
> >> Snagged some Blue Point oysters at a reliable upscale market for
> >Valentine's dinner w/DH. Have been enjoying these raw on the halfshell
for
> >40 years, but got the mean crawlies tonight. As I went to spear a nice plump oyster, I noticed
> >movement. No matter what you've been drinking, oysters are not supposed to wriggle. Not a good
> >thing. A pale, fat,
wormy
> >looking creature about 1/2 inch long with pale, almost invisable
crab-like
> >legs was doing the hully gully in there with my oyster. So much for oysters...
> >
> >the rest of 'em went into the garbage & we had to make do with chocolate.
> >> NT
> >
> >**************************
> >I may never eat again......................
> >
> >Susan
>

> Search: <Stylochus ellipticus>
>
> http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/oysters/garden/care.html
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Okay, thanks Sheldon. I also may never eat again. *Shudder* UGH. kili

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"Orion" says:
> >
> >This from NT...
> >
> >> Snagged some Blue Point oysters at a reliable upscale market for
> >Valentine's dinner w/DH. Have been enjoying these raw on the halfshell
for
> >40 years, but got the mean crawlies tonight. As I went to spear a nice plump oyster, I noticed
> >movement. No matter what you've been drinking, oysters are not supposed to wriggle. Not a good
> >thing. A pale, fat,
wormy
> >looking creature about 1/2 inch long with pale, almost invisable
crab-like
> >legs was doing the hully gully in there with my oyster. So much for oysters...
> >
> >the rest of 'em went into the garbage & we had to make do with chocolate.
> >> NT
> >
> >**************************
> >I may never eat again......................
> >
> >Susan
>

> Search: <Stylochus ellipticus>
>
> http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/oysters/garden/care.html
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Very interesting, Sheldon. I worked as a lab assistant @ one time, did a lot of urinalysis and
sometimes the dreaded bm analysis. Didn't bother me, but somehow the idea of eating live oysters, no
- just don't go there.

Suzan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >"Orion" says:
> >
> >This from NT...
> >
> >> Snagged some Blue Point oysters at a reliable upscale market for
> >Valentine's dinner w/DH. Have been enjoying these raw on the halfshell for 40 years, but got the
> >mean crawlies tonight. As I went to spear a nice plump oyster, I noticed movement. No matter what
> >you've been drinking, oysters are not supposed to wriggle. Not a good thing. A pale, fat, wormy
> >looking creature about 1/2 inch long with pale, almost invisable crab-like legs was doing the
> >hully gully in there with my oyster. So much for oysters...
> >
> >the rest of 'em went into the garbage & we had to make do with chocolate.
> >> NT
> >
> >**************************
> >I may never eat again......................
> >
> >Susan
>

> Search: <Stylochus ellipticus>
>
> http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/oysters/garden/care.html
>
> Sheldon

That was TMI... ;-p I may never eat oysters again! Ick!

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

SportKite1 wrote:

>>From: "Orion" [email protected]
>

>>Very interesting, Sheldon. I worked as a lab assistant @ one time, did a lot of urinalysis and
>>sometimes the dreaded bm analysis. Didn't bother me, but somehow the idea of eating live oysters,
>>no - just don't go there.
>>
>>Suzan
>

> Heh...maybe that's why I sell so much Black Walnut Hull extract to sushi eaters.
>
> I had this one gal come in the store complaining of bloating and embarrassing discomfort. She was
> slim, trim, and quite lovely by the way, so I asked her right out of the gate...do you eat Sushi?
> She looked at me like I had three heads and said YES, it's my favorite food. I handed her a small
> bottle of black walnut hull extract and said try this. She insisted on buying a bunch of other
> cleansing and probiotic items (no worries by me, they sure couldn't hurt)..
>
> The next day I had an onslaught of her friends coming in to buy the same little bottle saying that
> it was a miracle cure. Apparently it was a girls week in Florida from where they live and work in
> Manhattan. They sure cleaned up on their vacation...heh.
>
> All I know is that Black Walnut Hull kills those little intestinal critters big time. They would
> have freaked if I had told them that a milk bath would have worked well in conjuction with its
> usage just like it did hundreds of years ago. Major Ewwww tho.
>
> We USAians think of ourselves as such sanitary creatures. Heh...statistics show that at least 70%
> if all USAians have some parasitic activity working overtime in our GI tract.
>
> Ellen

Hi Ellen, I'm curious, can you tell me which parasite(s) are involved here?

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

SportKite1 wrote:

>>From: Richard Periut
>

>>I'm curious, can you tell me which parasite(s) are involved here?
>>
>>Rich
>>

> Check this website out.
>
> http://www.mdheal.org/parasites.htm
>
> E;;em

Please, reliable peer reviewed studies; not this quack site. Please stay away from sites that have
names like mdheal, et cetera. That's some SOB trying to make money by parasitizing on humans.

Richard Periut wrote:

> SportKite1 wrote:
>
>>> From: Richard Periut
>>

>>> I'm curious, can you tell me which parasite(s) are involved here?
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>> Check this website out.
>>
>> http://www.mdheal.org/parasites.htm
>>
>> E;;em
>>

> Please, reliable peer reviewed studies; not this quack site. Please stay away from sites that have
> names like mdheal, et cetera. That's some SOB trying to make money by parasitizing on humans.
>
> Rich

Check out:

http://www.quackwatch.org/

A very informative site on the multi billion dollar industry of medical quackery. Mix a little truth
with a load of horse ****, and you get the pseudo science of integrated medicine, holistic medicine,
et cetera.

You are only making these bozos richer by the minute.

Ignorance can be truly bliss at times.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

I once found teeny little crabs inside a batch of mussels. I was similarly alarmed. Glad to hear
that they are nothing to be concerned about.

-jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

"Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: il Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:56:21 -0600, "jmcquown" ha scritto: [snip]
: > I don't think hermit crabs qualify as "wormy looking
creatures" but maybe
: > I'm wrong. Either way, I don't want to eat it or anything
like it :)
: >
: > Jill
:
: I'm with you. I did find this on the net though.
:
: "Frequently, the novice oyster shucker will encounter a
golden-brown
: "worm" within the oyster's body. The initial reaction is to
throw the
: oyster away, thinking it is parasitized. However, the "worm" is
an
: enzyme complex formed by the oyster itself when it has been
actively
: feeding. Thus, it could be considered a mark of freshness. Red and green worms that live outside
: the oyster's
shell
: sometimes wander across the shucked oyster meat. They may be startling, but should not interfere
: with the enjoyment of the
meal."
: It came from this page: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/specinfo/oyster/oystbro.htm

: --
: Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit.
W.Shakespeare ]
:=============

Thanks for posting that Loki! I hadn't encountered the "worm" before either... but should I
encounter it - perhaps I won't be freaked out. LOL

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:37:10 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

<snip>

>I have only encountered them once, two of them to be exact. I wa smaking chowder so I tossed them
>in at the end. My wife and I each had one.
>
>The flavor was startlingly like celery.
>
>I would love to find enough to make something out of.

Frankly, the whole idea creeps me out for reasons that I cannot fathom. I mean, I *love* lobster and
it is essentially a spider, no? Maybe it's the idea of coming across an obviously life critter
inside of a critter that, while it may *be* alive, doesn't look it.

In fact, this whole thread may have put me off raw oysters for life and I've always *loved* raw
oysters. <sob!>

(Look forward to seeing you on Saturday, Rodney!)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

Back when the Chesapeake Bay oyster industry was healthy,
untold numbers of these little crabs were found during the
shucking process. Tossed into the pot along with the oysters
for stew, they turned a light pink color, and were
considered quite a delicacy. (They were my favorite part of
the stew as a child.)

I've never come across any in a commercially packed quart
(probably because some idiot would complain to the vendor)
or for that matter the typical bushel of Gulf Coast
oysters. Hopefully some day the CBay oyster population
will be restored and these little crabs will be in our
stew pots again.

HH