Croatia this summer

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by William Dennehy, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. I'm thinking of returning to Croatia this summer (hot!) but I don;t want to ride the coast road as
    it is suicide. Has anyone ever ridden inland Croatia? I'd like to visit a friend in Split and see
    Dubrovnik. Maybe go up to Isola briefly in Slovenia. Please reply directly, thanks, Bill

    Tags:

  2. Hi,- Guess, inland Croatia along the coast could even be worse - its what they call "krs" or "carst"
    - low bush and limestone - deadly in summer. Lots of mountains, traffic, mostly trucks. Further
    inland could be more "central european". Maybe a better idea is to hop the islands - bike and ferrys
    - but could be exepensive. Its hot, but there is always windy. Istria and Slovenian coast is better,
    I guess. Isola is not too bad. Come to visit me further 50 km inland there is superbiking country in
    the forests in Sneznik area. Mail if interested. Tardus.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Tardus Merula <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,- Guess, inland Croatia along the coast could even be worse - its what they call "krs" or
    >"carst" - low bush and limestone - deadly in summer. Lots of mountains, traffic, mostly trucks.
    >Further inland could be more "central european". Maybe a better idea is to hop the islands - bike
    >and ferrys - but could be exepensive. Its hot, but there is always windy.

    When I rode Trieste to Dubrovnik in 1989 we took ferries to islands whenever the mainland roads
    became unpleasant. I know we stopped in Krk and Pag and later in Korcula, all of them were pleasant
    places to visit at the time. Mostly the roads we took were poor condition but did not have awful
    traffic. I did get forced off a narrow road by a truck (into the gravel on a fully-loaded cyclocross
    bike at about 40mph on a descent) but luckily did not lay the bike down.

    I didn't find it expensive but that was during a period of terrible devaluation of the Yugoslav
    dinar. They had just recently started printing 50,000 dinar notes when we arrived, and the 100,000
    dinar notes came out a few weeks after we got there. The coins were considered trash even by beggars
    and stores gave out a piece of candy in lieu of small change.

    One of the inn-keepers we met on a small island said that 10 years ago 30,000 dinars was decent pay
    for a month's work. In summer of 1989 30,000 dinars did not even buy 2 beers in Dubrovnik. We
    exchanged our money as slowly as possible as inflation was something like 1000% IIRC. That was
    before they tied the dinar to the Deutchmark.

    I also found the coastal roads on the mainland were often extremely steep in areas where the rivers
    came down to the ocean and you had to climb down and then out of little gorges, the grades were
    often over 17%.

    --Paul

  4. Www.Raph.Nl

    Www.Raph.Nl Guest

    "William Dennehy" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of returning to Croatia this summer (hot!) but I don;t want to ride the coast road as
    > it is suicide. Has anyone ever ridden inland Croatia? I'd like to visit a friend in Split and see
    Dubrovnik.
    > Maybe go up to Isola briefly in Slovenia. Please reply directly, thanks, Bill

    Hello Willam,

    For more information on cycling in Croatia, visit
    http://www.raph.nl/bicycle/travel/europe/croatia/ and
    http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Croatia/ These sites may be an interesting start.

    CU!

    Raph www.raph.nl

  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Raph, Bill (or William) Cycled in croatia last year on his folding bike and knows that the coastal
    road is a nightmare to cycle on especially in the summer. I for one can verify that. Cycling inland
    is possible but one has to get back to coast for a room or a campsite as they are very rare inland.
    Cycling in april, may and early june are the best options. Not to hot and not that many tourists
    Either from Germany Italy or the former Yugoslav republic.

    Peter