crock pot recipes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ria, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. jake

    jake Guest

    > Perhaps you can create one of your own. Others might add to or change my
    > suggestion: If you have a heavy, heavy dutch cast-iron pot, with a tight
    > lid (they usually have spikes in the lid which helps to drop the water back
    > into the pot), get a separate burner (I don't know why that's essential, but
    > just in my mind) and put it on one speed (lowest) for hours and hours; you
    > might even add one of the asbestos-type thingies to put on top of your
    > burner to make the heat more consistent. You could even further insulate it
    > by wrapping a few layers of aluminum around it. I like to put my separate
    > burner outside for cooking.
    > Then you could make a haphazard decision if you would really like one; and
    > maybe someone from the UK might mail you one, or gift you with one of their
    > old ones.
    > Another thought, there might be one on ebay in the Netherlands? don't know.
    > Dee Dee

    I have a cast iron Creuset-style pot that I could use for this, so thank
    you for this explanation. Do you know whether this method would lead to
    different results than straightforward stewing in tat same pot, using a
    thingie underneath to reduce the heat from the flame?

    IME, using that thingie plus a very small flame is just right for
    keeping the temperature at/just below simmering. I do need to keep an
    eye on it, though. And I wouldn't want to leave the pot unattended for
    many hours like I would dare with a crockpot.

  2. I'm going to have to try this one. :)
    I hate turning on my oven, but do like meatloaf!

    I'll have to get a new crockpot. I gave mine away.....

    --
    Om.