Crockpot and yogurt

Dee

Guest
I received a crockpot as a gift and have recently started using it. So far
I've made just chili.

I'd like to try some Indian recipes, such as Rogan Josh and Lamb Saag.
Both of these recipes use whipped yogurt as an ingredient.

Would it be okay to put the yogurt in at the beginning of cooking, or would
it possibly curdle or break down or lose its whipped texture?

Thanks, Dee

Dee wrote:
> I received a crockpot as a gift and have recently started using it. So far
> I've made just chili.
>
> I'd like to try some Indian recipes, such as Rogan Josh and Lamb Saag.
> Both of these recipes use whipped yogurt as an ingredient.
>
> Would it be okay to put the yogurt in at the beginning of cooking, or would
> it possibly curdle or break down or lose its whipped texture?
>
> Thanks, Dee

I did it and it curdled. It tasted okay, but the texture wasn't right.
I'd add the yogurt right at the end.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

"Dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>I received a crockpot as a gift and have recently started using it. So far
> I've made just chili.
>
> I'd like to try some Indian recipes, such as Rogan Josh and Lamb Saag.
> Both of these recipes use whipped yogurt as an ingredient.
>
> Would it be okay to put the yogurt in at the beginning of cooking, or
> would
> it possibly curdle or break down or lose its whipped texture?
>
> Thanks, Dee

In most Indian recipes I've made, I add the yogurt at the end and stir it in
gingerly and heat it at low to keep it from curdling.
In my mind, in the practice of using yogurt, I usually whip it, so that's "a
given."
Dee Dee

1. question about whipping yogurt. DeeDee, you say usually thats a
given. Why d o you whip it? Are you trying to make it creamier? Are you
talking whipping with an eggbeater? Details please.

2. If you come up with any good recipes for Indain food i the crockpot,
please share them. I've never made anything Indian in there and it
seems like a great idea!

"Jude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1. question about whipping yogurt. DeeDee, you say usually thats a
> given. Why d o you whip it? Are you trying to make it creamier? Are you
> talking whipping with an eggbeater? Details please.
>
> 2. If you come up with any good recipes for Indain food i the crockpot,
> please share them. I've never made anything Indian in there and it
> seems like a great idea!

Why do I whip it? Well, it makes it thinner and easier to work with, rather
than in a more jello-like state that it is in when it comes out of the
container. It's more runny than solid; and not like a glob. That's about
all I can think of. It only takes a couple of minutes, at most, using a
regular fork.

IMO, to start with, I think just about any Dal can be made in a crockpot,
but a crockpot will benefit you in using the longer cooking dals. This
takes a little time to learn what dals (beans, lentils, peas in the Indian
family) take longer (there are many). Basically you can cook any dal with
only a little (powdered) tumeric. At the end of the cooking time, you then
add your spices this way: it is called a Tarka usually. You can take any
number of various spices and fry them, then stir them into the cooked dal.

I had this for my main meal today.
Potato Raita -
http://www.wondersky.com/deepscookbook/2001726155431.htm

The most common raita made with yogurt is most similar to this raita, only
made with cucumbers (seeded). This morning because the kitchen was cold, I
put in a large corning-ware container with lots of small red potatoes. I
will use them tomorrow in another meal. In the same oven I added peeled
carrots coated in olive oil and had them also for lunch.

I made some plain basmati rice (in rice cooker) with added (Amish) butter
and a little salt. If I would have remembered, I would have used some
saffron. Darn! It's so easy for me to forget because I use a lot of
different rice without a lot of added ingredients.

Pink (or Red) Masoor Dal

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com/recipes/dal.html (It is not as common
to add coconut milk to dals as this one does. But since we are in the habit
of using coconut milk, it was nothing unusual, and it made it nice and
creamy instead of thin as it would normally be.)

HTH,

Dee Dee