'Cross bike for smaller rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan Sacharuk

Hey, I've got a friend that's somewhat shorter than the norm (she's only 5'1 or 5'2) and she wants
to get into 'Cross next year. She's thinking of getting a custom frame built by a local builder, but
she's wondering if it's perhaps worth her while to get the bike built for 26" wheels instead of the
normal 700c wheels. She seems to do okay on a small Giant road bike, but that's not quite the same.

Any suggestions?

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
header to see my Geek Code
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Bored now. This is the part that's less fun. When there isn't any
screaming." - Evil Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Tire selection on non-700cm wheels is pretty limited. I know that 650 tires are non existent, and
with a 26" wheel she'd be forced to use mountain bike 'cross tires - not horrible, but certainly
more limiting than 700s.

For frames check out Soma and Surly, they come in fairly small sizes.

Jan Sacharuk wrote:

> Hey, I've got a friend that's somewhat shorter than the norm (she's only 5'1 or 5'2) and she wants
> to get into 'Cross next year. She's thinking of getting a custom frame built by a local builder,
> but she's wondering if it's perhaps worth her while to get the bike built for 26" wheels instead
> of the normal 700c wheels. She seems to do okay on a small Giant road bike, but that's not quite
> the same.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> JS
>
> --
> ========================= [email protected] ========================
> Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the
> X-Geek-Code header to see my Geek Code
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> "Bored now. This is the part that's less fun. When there isn't any
> screaming." - Evil Willow, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Jan Sacharuk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey, I've got a friend that's somewhat shorter than the norm (she's only 5'1 or 5'2) and she wants
> to get into 'Cross next year. She's thinking of getting a custom frame built by a local builder,
> but she's wondering if it's perhaps worth her while to get the bike built for 26" wheels instead
> of the normal 700c wheels. She seems to do okay on a small Giant road bike, but that's not quite
> the same.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> JS

Have her check out Serotta. They can custom build anything for smaller people. I had spoken to them
at the NY Bike Show. They are very knowledgable people and very reasonably priced:

http://www.serotta.com

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Status
Not open for further replies.