Cross chaining...

I suppose I have a job if you count being a stay-at-home dad. I leave,
usually, at 7AM and get home before my wife goes to work at 2PM. My son
is in school most mornings.

I log all my rides here:

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/view.php?uid=167

My thought process is to get all my riding done in 2-3 days a week, to
free up the other days. I also feel like I get a better workout going
long. For me 1x6hr is more beneficial, and simpler, than 3x2hr.

Plus, I just like to ride. It really relaxes me.

That 11% hill is the worst case scenario and it is very short. The vast
majority of hills here (Raleigh NC) top out at 3-4% for maybe 1/2 to
3/4 miles. It is relatively rolling terrain but nothing serious. I like
to think it is very similar to the terrain in Belgium. On real cold
days, like it has been lately, I pretend I am racing in a spring
classic.

Michael Vang wrote:

> 5) I was not able to use the 21 or 19 with the big ring which left me
> with a 53x18 low. I was able to do all my hills okay with this but I
> used some muscles I didn't know I had so I am a little sore today. I
> doubt I could do our worst hill in this combo but I can always
> downshift for that one.
>
> So, I guess this whole thread was pretty pointless. I just needed to
> try it and see. I think I can probably leave it in the big ring 95% of
> the time which simplifies shifting.

I don't think it is a good idea to ride in the biggest gears you can.
Most riders are most efficient at 70-80rpm on hills and 90-100rpm on
the flats. If your cadence is lower than that, I'd recommend trying
smaller gears.

"Michael Vang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I suppose I have a job if you count being a stay-at-home dad. I

leave,
> usually, at 7AM and get home before my wife goes to work at

2PM. My son
> is in school most mornings.
>
> I log all my rides here:
>
> http://www.mycyclinglog.com/view.php?uid=167
>
> My thought process is to get all my riding done in 2-3 days a

week, to
> free up the other days. I also feel like I get a better workout

going
> long. For me 1x6hr is more beneficial, and simpler, than 3x2hr.
>
> Plus, I just like to ride. It really relaxes me.

Relaxes you from what? Riding? -- Jay Beattie.

On 10 Feb 2006 10:09:45 -0800, "Michael Vang"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I went ahead and did another century yesterday and tried this. I warmed
>up for an hour or so in the small ring (it was around 30F with the
>windchill) and then tried the big ring. It worked, and I survived.
>
>My thoughts:
>
>1) I was hesitant to shift back and forth because on my old Shimano
>bike downshifting the front was pretty wild in that the spring just
>chucks the chain at the small ring. On Campy, however, you can bleed
>the chain over nice and easy with no theatrics.
>
>2) Obviously, the gears were higher. I just ended up standing up a bit
>more and I shifted a lot less. I think overall I ended up faster
>because I was able to pedal downhill instead of coast. At my normal
>16-19mph the chain line was pretty clean.
>
>3) The rear sprocket gaps that seem so narrow on the small ring seem
>bigger with the front ring.
>
>4) I know this isn't scientific, but the big ring feels faster than the
>equivalent gear using the small.
>
>5) I was not able to use the 21 or 19 with the big ring which left me
>with a 53x18 low. I was able to do all my hills okay with this but I
>used some muscles I didn't know I had so I am a little sore today. I
>doubt I could do our worst hill in this combo but I can always
>downshift for that one.
>
>So, I guess this whole thread was pretty pointless. I just needed to
>try it and see. I think I can probably leave it in the big ring 95% of
>the time which simplifies shifting.
>
>That said, I can see a 48 or 50 large ring in my future, and/or maybe a
>12-23.

Hi, get a chain guide like a N-Gear Jump Stop, then you won't have to
be concerned with that quick downshift, in front. I have an older bike
with a 39/52 and friction shifter. I was dropping the chain, put on a
Jump Stop, problem solved.
There are a number of different ones, the Deda Dog Fang, is one of
them. Here take a look at the Jump Stop:
http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Michael Vang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I suppose I have a job if you count being a stay-at-home dad. I leave,
> usually, at 7AM and get home before my wife goes to work at 2PM. My son
> is in school most mornings.
>
> I log all my rides here:
>
> http://www.mycyclinglog.com/view.php?uid=167
>
> My thought process is to get all my riding done in 2-3 days a week, to
> free up the other days. I also feel like I get a better workout going
> long. For me 1x6hr is more beneficial, and simpler, than 3x2hr.
>
> Plus, I just like to ride. It really relaxes me.

I also like long rides, however, my average is a lots less than yours.
I have a log available for download that count centuries.
http://www.billcotton.com/my_training.htm Last year my goal was one each
month and I did 17 centuries most were in different direction, I use a gps
to plot each route http://www.billcotton.com/my_centuries_rides.htm and the
mileage. This year my target is two each month and I did three so far. luck
of the weather, here in Philadelphia. A big storm is due tonight so I expect
at least a week of leftover ice and snow.
Most month I list a ride in our club news letter as a century, with trolley
stops along the way that members can drive to for less miles. The next one
is scheduled for March 25th from Cheltenham PA to Lehigh University in
Bethlehem PA.