cross country ride

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
So I am contemplating joining a guy I know who is riding from Alaska to Florida this summer. I am wondering if anyone else has done any long rides that could give me some tips/advice or whatnot. The ride it self I don't think should be a big deal since I ride 20-80 miles 5-6 days a week, especially in the spring and summer. I don't even have to carry gear, since we will have a RV following us for with equiptment, tents, food and other gear. I guess I'm just wondering about what gear to use, what to eat, basically anything about anything. I'm trying to figure out if it's really soemthing I want to spend my summer doing.
thanks for the help.

Diana

TrekCyclerChic said:
So I am contemplating joining a guy I know who is riding from Alaska to Florida this summer. I am wondering if anyone else has done any long rides that could give me some tips/advice or whatnot. The ride it self I don't think should be a big deal since I ride 20-80 miles 5-6 days a week, especially in the spring and summer. I don't even have to carry gear, since we will have a RV following us for with equiptment, tents, food and other gear. I guess I'm just wondering about what gear to use, what to eat, basically anything about anything. I'm trying to figure out if it's really soemthing I want to spend my summer doing.
thanks for the help.

Diana

There is a site on cycling ultramarathons - http://www.ultracycling.com/

TrekCyclerChic said:
thanks for the help.

Diana
Jeez, I'd like to spend my summer doing that! The RV will be with you all the time? Talk about a supported trip...

Couple of notes about the Alcan and the north in general. Expect major construction on the Alcan. You will encounter construction zones where you won't believe they expect people to ride over. Mark my words on that one. They are gradually building up the Alcan to take the northern winters but it will take decades. Every year they tear a bunch of it up and rebuild it to current standards, but it's a slow process. I would plan on putting the bikes in the RV for some of the construction zones, or take some spare wheels, and a spare backside for that matter.

Even though it's summer, expect any kind of weather up there. It might be beautiful and warm for the most part, but you might also encounter blizzards in August in other parts.

If you haven't been up there before, expect the most unbelievably gorgeous scenery imaginable. Look out for the moose and grizzlies though. Man, I wanna go...

As long as you like the guy you're going to ride with and you have the time and money, why not go? Since you have an RV, you don't need any special equipment and unless you're trying go as fast as you can, you can eat whatever the local stores sell.
I'm jealous. Have fun.:)

Hi, my dad did one in college, flew to washington and rode back home to penn. this was during college and he started with some buddies, but they just wanted to do the trip, he wanted to vist places, so like after a week or so he was solo with al his gear staying with people and in parks. Too bad things aren't like that today, just make sure you have a camera with you and let us know how it goes, im planning to do it with him after my junior yr in college (2008). might get the 2 states he hasnt been to, alaska to maine!

thanks for the info and links. i've finally decided that aside from some life-stopping event occuring, I'm going. So I'm super excited and am starting to get stuff ready. I still have a lot of details to cover, but next week I'm driving out to Chicago to meet up with the guy I'm going with to go over all the details and to get the balls rolling. I'm starting a trip-specific website, and when i get it up and running, I'll let you all know.
Thanks,
Diana

p.s. I'm raising money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, so fee free to contact me to make a donation! All money goes directly to charity, the cost of the trip is coming out of my pocket! Thanks!

If you haven't already done so, check out www.crazyguyonabike.com. Some of these journals are fantastic and give you tips on both the preparation and equipment as well as personal perspectives of doing the extraordinary. There are a lot of resources that I'm sure you'll find useful.

The best one IMHO is Heidi's "North to Alaska and Back Again" at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?o=as&doc_id=430&v=18s This reads like a good adventure book. At the least, her description of the mosquitoes of Alaska may give you something to consider.

When you do go, consider posting a journal. I'd love to follow your travels.

Good luck!

Hey everyone... I have a website dedicated to the trip

http://[email protected]

and an email address for the trip [email protected]

I will be posting updates until the trip on media exposure, fundraising events, and training, and once the trip is underway, I will be posing updates as often as possible.

this is for charity, so consider donating a few bucks to the cause... it'd be greatly appreciated! (and you get your name on my list of sponsors!)

I've used the resources at www.crazyguyonabike.com - great stuff! Thanks for all your guy's advice! It's very appreciated and any more advice on what equiptment to bring, what shorts, saddles, handlebar tape, gloves etc... are better/best for long distance riding.

Thanks Again!