Cross Country Skiing: Incr VO2 Max

gntlmn

Jul 28, 2003
Winter has come here to Anchorage, and although I didn't think I'd feel like skiing much this year, the snow has arrived. It's amazing how a nice clean blanket of snow will lift the spirits and make you feel like skiing till you drop.

I remember quite a while ago reading that some top TdF riders were turning to cross country skiing in the winter as an excellent cross training activity: Greg Lemond and Davis Phinney, for example.

I know cross country skiing's best have the highest energy consumption: up to 1,500 calories an hour. I suspect you may be able to increase your VO2 Max by skiing in the winter.

One problem with cross country skiing for elite riders is that it might lead to muscle development in the upper body. While this is beneficial for the average guy on the street, an elite cyclist won't want even one pound more on the upper body, even if it's muscle. Greg Lemond had a problem with this. He noticed that his upper body became more developed with the skiing.

Apart from this consideration, I think cross country skiing is almost a perfect cross training avenue for riders.

Is muscle going to be more stubborn to lose than fat? Roy Jones, the boxer, just dropped 25 lbs (11 kg) to fight a light heavyweight boxer and regain the light heavyweight title after his recent heavyweight success. Although he won, he complained that he had lost a lot of strength from the weight loss. The commentary followed that many top boxers in prime shape lose so much strength by dropping to a lower weight category that they never regain their former stamina.

What's the current buzz about cross country skiing as a viable cross training tool? Maybe the answer to this problem is to ski without poles. That would do the trick, maybe. But then you wouldn't have as much of an aerobic uptake because of not using the arms for poling. For myself, I won't worry about the muscle buildup. I'm using my poles, but I don't ride the Tour de France, either.

As far as elite athletes go, on average cross country skiers have the highest recorded VO2 max. Part of this is because of the total body nature of cross country skiing. If you don't use poles you will not be stressing your body aerobically to the same extent. I wouldn't worry about the additional muscle mass you may put on as a result, the ladies might like it.

Originally posted by discobean7
As far as elite athletes go, on average cross country skiers have the highest recorded VO2 max. Part of this is because of the total body nature of cross country skiing. If you don't use poles you will not be stressing your body aerobically to the same extent. I wouldn't worry about the additional muscle mass you may put on as a result, the ladies might like it.

Are you a skier? I was easily getting into that very heavy breathing mode the other night under the lights. I can see that after I adjust from summer cycling condition, I will seriously increase my aerobic condition. I used to ski regularly about 12 years ago. I hadn't experienced that kind of output for quite a while. It's nice to be able to go so hard without overheating. It feels great.

Now skate skiing is pretty popular. I hear that bikers may be more interested in that version because the leg motion is more similar to pedalling. It is also a little bit more anaerobic. I might do that next year, but this year I think I'll just stick to diagonal stride, the classic style.

Now skate skiing is pretty popular. I hear that bikers may be more interested in that version because the leg motion is more similar to pedalling. It is also a little bit more anaerobic. I might do that next year, but this year I think I'll just stick to diagonal stride, the classic style. [/QUOTE]

Skate skiing is a great cross-training alternative in the winter. The push is very similar to standing up in the pedals. I don't think it's necessarily 'anaerobic' but it could be in a sprint... The big thing about skating is weight transfer, but once you get the hang of it, it's like flying on snow. There are none of the static pauses that you get with the kick phase of classic skiing.

chris
ne iowa

still skiing on pavement

chris
ne iowa

still skiing on pavement [/QUOTE]

We were down to about 1 cm of packed powder yesterday, so I didn't ski--too many bare spots. But last night it snowed, probably 2 or 3 cm. That's all it takes. Now I'm back in the game again.

gntlmn,
I once was a skier (just alpine), but I'm getting back into it this winter. I've been happily checking the snow report recently in anticipation of my trip out West this Christmas. I'm hoping to pick up x-country skiing in a few years when my school/career situation will allow me to relocate out West. Enjoy the snow.