Cross Country Unicyclist

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by JJuggle, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    I did a search and saw no reference to this fellow, Patrick Thomas. He
    is riding cross country from San Francisco to New York. I posted the
    story in the articles thread, but thought someone riding 3,000 miles
    alone deserved their own thread.

    [edit]Apologies to the other 5,700,000,000 or so people on the planet. I
    meant, of course, US cross country unicyclist.[/edit]

    Cheers,
    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    Cory Farley - Opinion

    Cory Farley
    Staff
    489 words
    Reno Gazette-Journal
    1
    English
    (c) Copyright 2004, Reno Gazette-Journal. All Rights Reserved.

    Could you pick a worse ride?

    This Space never meant to become the Reno Gazette-Journal's
    Weird-Vehicle-Across-The-Country Reporter. Yet whenever anybody comes
    through town bound for Boston in a birchbark canoe, I wind up with the
    story.

    Take Patrick Thomas, who stopped this week en route from San Francisco
    to New York. Thomas is traveling not on two wings, nor on four wheels,
    nor two.

    He's on a unicycle. One wheel, and it's even less suited to the task
    than you're thinking:

    o There are no brakes.

    o There are no gears. One turn of the pedals equals one revolution of
    the wheel.

    o There's no coasting. The foot bone's connected to the pedal bone, the
    pedal bone's connected to the wheel. If the unicycle is moving, so are
    Thomas' feet.

    o The only luggage space is a backpack. Where would you attach a rack?
    He set out with four changes of clothing, but has mailed three home to
    save weight.

    o Whatever water Thomas needs for the desert has to go in the backpack,
    too.

    o It's slooooow. A reasonably fit bicyclist might average 15 miles per
    hour. Thomas can maintain "eight or nine" on a short ride, but on longer
    trips he shoots for six.

    "It's just something I've always wanted to do," the San Francisco
    elementary school teacher said. "A unicycle is my main mode of
    transportation around the city."

    You can't have an adventure without a cause these days, and Thomas has
    two: America's Second Harvest, a Chicago-based organization that feeds
    the needy, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, in
    honor of his mother, who has survived two bouts with cancer and "is on
    her third life."

    He isn't accepting donations personally. He intends to make it on his
    own, about 3,000 miles in 65 days. His Web site describes how to
    contribute to the two organizations.

    It also explains his route and tracks his progress, which so far has
    been disappointing to him, though impressive to the unicycle-challenged.
    As of Monday, he was four days, about 175 miles, behind. But he said he
    has no doubt he'll finish.

    From Reno, Thomas was scheduled to head for Fallon, then spend the next
    six or seven days crossing Nevada. Salt Lake City should come two days
    later; he'll continue through Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa,
    Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania, reaching New York in late
    August.

    Along the way, he'll hit up the media for stories. His goal is to
    average $1 in donations from everyone who hears about his trip, feed
    some hungry children and ease the lives of some people with cancer.
    Learn more at pedalthewaves.org.

    Cory Farley can be reached at (775) 788-6340 or [email protected].

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Faith's understanding is first and foremost not achievement, but
    sympathy, empathy, care, concern, kindness -- in a word, compassion. -
    Lars Clausen, -One Wheel - Many Spokes-, page 58
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  2. cyberbellum

    cyberbellum Guest

    ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *I wonder what size wheel he's using. *

    Looks like a 20" or a 24". Someone ought to lend him a more suitable
    ride...

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees get bigger as they get
    closer. Then it hit me.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  3. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    From the pictures on his site, I think I'm seeing an old style 24"
    Schwinn. With the old (1983 or earler) seat! Ouch! In one of the
    pictures, his unicycle appears to have lolipop bearings. But I think he
    just has the one.

    My guess would be that he is not connected to (many) other unicyclists,
    and he may not have much knowledge about who has done similar rides
    before, or even his equipment and comfort options.

    Making the ride unsupported is really tough, especially on a 24". He
    won't be the first to do it, but many of the cross country riders have
    either had faster cycles, or support vehicles.

    Let's all wish him luck. And if you want to "be a part" of his ride, be
    sure to make a donation to one or both of his charities.

    Go Cory! You might not know about us, but now we know about you!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
    all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
    trail.

  4. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *Go Cory! You might not know about us, but now we know about you! *

    The fellow is actually Patrick Thomas. Cory is the condescending
    columnist.

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    Faith's understanding is first and foremost not achievement, but
    sympathy, empathy, care, concern, kindness -- in a word, compassion. -
    Lars Clausen, -One Wheel - Many Spokes-, page 58
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  5. What a challenge! It would be cool if some experienced (or
    unexperienced!) unicyclistsin the US could give him a helping hand,
    maybe doing short sections of his ride with him. Then maybe some local
    fundraising could happen and raise the total by a lot!

    Or if anyone has a more suitable unicycle, wheel or even saddle they are
    willing to lend or even donate (charity people!) that would be really
    nice.

    If I sit on my Miyata saddle after riding a KH or air seat and my God it
    hurts! I can't imagine riding several miles on anything less than a KH
    and wouldn't think of going thousands on less than a 12"deep
    air/gel/bean bag seat.

    Make the guy feel part of the unicycling community!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  6. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    I hope to hook up with Patrick over Rabbit Ears Pass, Steamboat Springs
    area. His pre-trip schedule has him in that area during NAUCC, so I'm
    not sure if it will work. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him
    besides his email? I will bring a KH saddle and post with me.

    --
    aspenmike - unicycling albino
    aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

  7. bugman

    bugman Guest

    Too bad he didn't know about this site before embarking upon this
    journey. Knowing this group he could have been able to get a
    considerable amount of support. I am sure now that those of you in his
    path know about this you will be offering it up.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

  8. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    bugman wrote:
    > *Too bad he didn't know about this site before embarking upon this
    > journey. Knowing this group he could have been able to get a
    > considerable amount of support. I am sure now that those of you in
    > his path know about this you will be offering it up. *

    I sent him an email with a link to the Reno Gazette article as well as
    this site. I suggested that if he kept his blog up-to-date and/or posted
    here he might find many friendly faces to ride with along the way. I
    hope he does.

    Hopefully he gets to check his email, at least on his rest days.

    Cheers,
    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

    One monkey don't stop the show.
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  9. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

  10. Good grief. 24"? I find my 24" to be painfully slow even for rides
    around the park which is about 2 miles depending on where I ride. There
    must be an old 700c rim and old uni hub kicking around that could be
    donated!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  11. MuniTune

    MuniTune Guest

    ... He's going to be a couple days ahead of RAGBRAI through Iowa. I'll
    be on it, but afterwards... Any other Iowans want to see him out of the
    state? I thought I might meet up with him on his last day in Iowa. Has
    he got a comfy seat yet?

    --
    MuniTune - Falls a Lot.

    R.
    MuniTune's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6773

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Doh!

    On the third day of his ride he passed within a few miles of my house,
    right along the American River Bike Path, where I ride to work! I wish
    I'd known about it sooner. Hopefully before he goes too far he'll have
    the chance to switch to at least a 26" wheel, if not something bigger.
    And shorter cranks! Judging by that old Schwinn I saw, he's probably
    using 140s.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
    all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
    trail.

  13. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

  14. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    Patrick's itinerary for his final days of riding are now up on his
    'Blog' (http://pedalthewaves.org/v-web/b2/).

    It looks like he is going to try to ride from Montclair, NJ to the
    George Washington Bridge early on the morning of Friday, Sept 17th
    crossing the bridge into NYC starting at 9:00 AM.

    I am going to attempt to meet up with him and he has invited any and all
    cyclists (any number of wheels) to join him. The logistics of all this
    are vague, but if you're interested let me know and I'll keep you
    informed of how this all will (might) work. Email at:

    [email protected]espam
    [email protected]espam

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    --
    JJuggle - Liberal Belly-Acher

    If people tell me that there is no clearly defined nonviolent way to
    deal with a situation, then I answer that we have got to experiment and
    find one. God knows we have experimented long enough with other methods.
    - A.J. Muste
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  15. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    This is a bump.

    Patricks plan is to go from the GW bridge (Hudson Terr, Fort Lee, NJ,
    8:30) to Times Square and then to Sloan-Kettering. He has an
    appointment with Inside Edition downtown at 11:30.

    I'd like to meet with him, possibly at the GW bridge but don't want to
    get up at 4:30-5:30 and do the NYC morning rush hour, can anybody near
    Fort Lee put up me up for the night?

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  16. scot

    scot Guest

    Dude, where's my Coker? :confused:

    Way AWESOME, Patrick. Self-supported w/backpack on a 24 inch
    wheel....now that's tough!

    You da man, Patrick.

    Hope I get to meet you some day.

    --
    scot - cyclops

    "My knees may be shot, but I'm still getting comments on my legs..."

    stick with what works
    http://www.unitours.org/tours/ScotCooper/
    scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

  17. scot

    scot Guest

    Dude, where's my Coker? :confused:

    Way AWESOME, Patrick. Self-supported w/backpack on a 24 inch
    wheel....now that's tough!

    You da man, Patrick.

    Hope I get to meet you some day.

    --
    scot - cyclops

    "My knees may be shot, but I'm still getting comments on my legs..."

    stick with what works
    http://www.unitours.org/tours/ScotCooper/
    scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

  18. scot

    scot Guest

    Dude, where's my Coker? :confused:

    Way AWESOME, Patrick. Self-supported w/backpack on a 24 inch
    wheel....now that's tough!

    You da man, Patrick.

    Hope I get to meet you some day.

    --
    scot - cyclops

    "My knees may be shot, but I'm still getting comments on my legs..."

    stick with what works
    http://www.unitours.org/tours/ScotCooper/
    scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

  19. scot