'Cross headset and brakes

LewisBricktop

Sep 10, 2006
I'm finally looking to ride some cyclocross and need some advice.

I have "access" to a Surly Cross Check frame that I'm going to build as a single-speed.

What should I look at for headset and canti brake options? Will most common road threadless headsets stand up to a solid 'cross season? I'm afraid of getting something that I've liked for the road and having to overhaul it every few weeks. And I'm not really familiar with current cantilever options. What's good?

Cost shouldn't get out of hand, but I'd like to have a nice riding and looking rig when it's done.

LewisBricktop said:
I'm finally looking to ride some cyclocross and need some advice.

I have "access" to a Surly Cross Check frame that I'm going to build as a single-speed.

What should I look at for headset and canti brake options? Will most common road threadless headsets stand up to a solid 'cross season? I'm afraid of getting something that I've liked for the road and having to overhaul it every few weeks. And I'm not really familiar with current cantilever options. What's good?

Cost shouldn't get out of hand, but I'd like to have a nice riding and looking rig when it's done.

Chris King HS or Ritchey WCS headset and Tektro cantis. Not the zillion $, no adjust TRP, just Tektro..like these.

TEKTRO

Peter@vecchios said:
Chris King HS or Ritchey WCS headset and Tektro cantis. Not the zillion $, no adjust TRP, just Tektro..like these.

TEKTRO
Looks good for headsets, but is there any particular feature(s) of the Tektros that makes them good? I don't care about weight issues, but are their durability and functionality in less than ideal conditions better or worse than others for any specific reason?