Cross Max XL & SL

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DanBB, Aug 18, 2003.

1. DanBB

DanBB New Member

Hey, how much better is the mavic sl rear wheel than the xl. I know its a little bit lighter, anything else? its quite a bit more money, is it worth it? I need a new rear wheel thats light, is the xl a light enough wheel basically. Going to be used quite a lot on road. Also are disc style rims more aerodymanic, or hardly any difference. Thanx, any help appreciated ;)

Tags:

2. Topmounter

Topmounter New Member

The only difference, other than price, in the SL disc model seems to be about a 140 grams or so lighter for the set.

The disc brake wheels aren't more aero, but the rims can be built for strength without any comprise for maintaining a suitably sized and durable braking surface. Also, without the brake pads wearing on the rim, the rims should in theory last longer, assuming you don't taco the things prior to wearing through the brake surface, especially since with discs, there isn't a constant reminder everytime you hit your brakes that your wheels need a true.

I guess disc-only rims could also be lighter, but any weight savings in the rim is more than offset by the weight of the disc system bits. The standard v-brake SL set is around 200 grams lighter than the disc model.

Discs are nice if you need the breaking power, but they do still come with some compromise over v-brakes (e.g. weight, price, etc.), albeit less and less compromise every year.

Check the reviews at:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/manufacturers/3036/

3. DanBB

DanBB New Member

Thanx for the information mate it was really useful :)

I think im going to go for the SL (non disc) wheel i think as i want the lightest version of the wheel. I mainly use my front disc for all the braking, so the rim should last well as im using the v-brake on it very little. Its a shame the disc version looks so much cooler though!!:D

Thanx again