Cross-posting to ARBR

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Edward Dolan, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    As many of you on ARBR well know, I have always been very much opposed to
    cross-posting, but I am having lots of second thoughts about that. I now
    think it is the one thing that will save ARBR from dying and going to the
    Google graveyard.

    ARBR was always a very small newsgroup and it was virtually destroyed by a
    criminal vandal troll by the name of Ed Gin last winter. It is being revived
    at long last by all the cross-posting. I am in favor of it as there are now
    lots of interesting posts for everyone on ARBR to read and respond to. There
    is a grave danger in being too recumbent specific. I think we are saved from
    ourselves thanks to the other newsgroups.

    RBM I think is compatible with ARBR and I suspect the other cycling
    newsgroups are also. I am not sure about the racing group. Maybe Mr. Sherman
    could advise us on that. However, I do note that Mr. Sherman is no longer
    trimming the newsgroups, so I think he has come around to the idea of
    cross-posting too. I reference Mr. Sherman because he has been the main stay
    of ARBR ever since I have been here, something like three years I believe.

    We should of course use some discretion concerning what threads we drag over
    to ARBR. Frankly, I am amazed at how one poster, NYC, has single handedly
    sparked the newsgroups. All newsgroups need newbies. Otherwise we just end
    up cussing and swearing at one another to no good end. I am encouraged by
    what I see happening here on ARBR. I do not think we ever want to be a small
    group again. It is too easy for a criminal vandal troll to take you down
    when you are a small group.

    The one thing I do know for sure is that it is not healthy to be a small
    group. ARBR has enough in common with the other cycling newsgroups so that
    we should welcome their posting here. We should not bother them with
    recumbent specific messages though. The other groups are large enough and do
    not need us, but we need them. I think it is either that or we perish.

    I am fairly new to newsgroups and so I may not be aware of all the dangers
    of cross-posting. I am curious to know what others more experienced than I
    may think.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    Tags:

  2. Edward Dolan wrote:
    > RBM I think is compatible with ARBR and I suspect the other cycling
    > newsgroups are also. I am not sure about the racing group. Maybe Mr. Sherman
    > could advise us on that....

    The last time I checked the standard salutation on rec.bicycles.racing
    (RBR) was "Dumbass" - this group is also the source of the Tom
    Kunich/Roger Bratton flame war that was recently cross-posted across
    all the cycling newsgroups. Flaming is standard, civilized discussion
    is not, on RBR. Posting links to pictures of sexually explicit acts is
    also relatively common. Need I say more?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit)

  3. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Edward Dolan wrote:
    >> RBM I think is compatible with ARBR and I suspect the other cycling
    >> newsgroups are also. I am not sure about the racing group. Maybe Mr.
    >> Sherman
    >> could advise us on that....

    > The last time I checked the standard salutation on rec.bicycles.racing
    > (RBR) was "Dumbass" - this group is also the source of the Tom
    > Kunich/Roger Bratton flame war that was recently cross-posted across
    > all the cycling newsgroups. Flaming is standard, civilized discussion
    > is not, on RBR. Posting links to pictures of sexually explicit acts is
    > also relatively common. Need I say more?
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit)

    OK, thanks Tom. I am sure you are right and we should avoid that group like
    the plague. They obviously are still into teenage testosterone and we do not
    need any of that here. I will be careful what I drag over to ARBR and I hope
    you will be too.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota