cross rankings

• Thread starter Demetrius Di Ca
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Demetrius Di Ca

http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross/?id=crossrankings2003

1 Belgium 6,543.00 pts 2 Netherlands 2,670.00 3 Czech Republic 1,556.00 4 France 1,160.00 5
Switzerland 1,132.00 6 U.S.A. 1,018.00 7 Italy 812.00 8 Great Britain 648.00 9 Poland 631.00 10
Spain 428.00

I am surprised that the US is ahead of Italy.

Do they not have anyone besides Pontoni?

Demetrius di Carravallo wrote:
>
>
> I am surprised that the US is ahead of Italy.
>
> Do they not have anyone besides Pontoni?

Which US rider, today, is better than Pontoni?

U23 Franzoi is already better than Pontoni, and might be a challenger for the Belgians if he is
allowed enough time.

USA was actually 5th, ahead of France, some weeks ago. With better Worlds, and lining up a real team
in 1 or 2 World Cup legs more, they would be 4th or 5th now.

Bart wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Demetrius di Carravallo wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised that the US is ahead of Italy.
>>
>> Do they not have anyone besides Pontoni?
>
>Which US rider, today, is better than Pontoni?

Probably no one, but Page has had a more consistent season than Pontoni this year. Pontoni had a
couple of DNFs in the World Cup where Page scored points. Although Pontoni came through at Worlds
and has been one of the most consistent performers at Worlds the past 10+ years.

>
>U23 Franzoi is already better than Pontoni, and might be a challenger for the Belgians if he is
>allowed enough time.

Franzoi is certainly the future of Italian Cross.

>
>USA was actually 5th, ahead of France, some weeks ago. With better Worlds, and lining up a real
>team in 1 or 2 World Cup legs more, they would be 4th or 5th now.

Italy has usually been a one man show in Cross. Pontoni. Bramati has not had a strong season in a
few years. Now Franzoi is taking over. It is not surprising with all the UCI races in the States
that the US crept past Italy in the points. Although if you had to pick the top 3 riders from the US
(Page Gullikson Wells) or the top 3 riders from Italy (Franzoi Pontoni Bramiti) to make up a team,
you'd be a fool not to take the Italians.

Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.