Cross Trainer

SkyBlueAmateur

Sep 7, 2011
With autumn nearly upon us and the mornings getting darker I'm looking at planning my training for the winter months.

I've recently purchased a turbo-trainer which will be getting used but I also have a cross-trainer. I used the cross-trainer quite a lot before I took up cycling and it gave me a good core fitness. Would there be any advantage to alternating between the turbo and cross trainer or am I best off just sticking to the bike and turbo-trainer?

When you say cross trainer I assume you mean an Elliptical trainer? I don't see why you couldn't do both, just alternate days. You actually burn more calories on an Elliptical then on a bike trainer if that matters, but that means your getting a slightly better work out on the elliptical. You burn about a 100 more calories per hour with moderate effort because it works major core muscles unlike the trainer..

Thanks for the reply. Is indeed an elliptical trainer I meant. the calories aren't so much of an issue as I'm only 10 stone 5 so not really looking to shift weight. Am a novice rider so trying to build my power up ore then anything although I'm sure my technique could do with a lot of work as well.

Setting asside the calorie thing, the elliptical works core muscles too that the bike trainer does not do, and a stronger core will make a stronger rider.

I use an elliptical a few times a week during the deepest darkest hours of winter. I alternate between my trainer and the elliptical. The elliptical has been great for helping me drop those holiday pounds in time for cycling season.

Thanks for the advice.

Seems like the eliptical trainer could come in useful this winter then. Now to break the news to the wife that she can't park the car in the garage now then........./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif