Cross Training and Cycling

edd

Jul 8, 2003
There has been a number of threads of late all concerned with training that is compatible with cycling or may enhance one’s cycling ability, ie: core strength, squatting, cycling and weight training.

The point that I would like to raise and the question I pose is:

How many of you out there, recreational and competitive cyclist alike, Cross Train.
Why do you cross train and is it due to an injury or fear of acquiring an injury ?

Or do you believe the training enhances your cycling ability

I know a lot of people run and cycle. Most of the people I know who do this, do this because either :

a) they are triathletes need to compete in two disciplines or

b) they are runners with bad knees who cycle whenever their knees play up.

I cross train for two reasons...
1. Something different to do over the winter when its too dark/cold/wet to train.
2. Maintain as much fitness as I can before returning to cycling when the weather changes.

I'm convinced that I gain less fitness than I would by spending the same amount of time cycling.

I go running too, because if I have to travel for work it's a lot easier to take my trainers than a flipping bike. Also, if I'm in London or somewhere I can train properly with running, but with cycling I'd be wasting my time sat in traffic. As prep for this I try to run at least 1nce a week so that I don't get injured if I have to spend a week or so without my bike.

I do Taekwondo and started bicycling recreationally with a chance that I may compete some time if I get good enough. I compete in state and national taekwondo tournaments.

However, I only spend 1/2 my training time per day actually doing taekwondo, blocks, punches, etc. I weight train for up to 2 hr 4 tiems a week. I alternate running and bicycling on opposite days. Though sometimes I do bicycle in the morning and run in the evening on my runnign days. I also jump rope at a very fast pace for up to 30 mintutes at a time. I also spend a considerable amount of time stretching, (to compete well at taekwondo, you have to at least be able to do a front split). None of this affects my taekwondo training or my bicycle peformance as long as nothing is sore from the day before. But that almost becomes a non-existant after a month of cross training. I also try to keep from becoming overly exhausted from any type of training because it isn't my only focus. I think cross training will make you a better athlete and bicyclist. I have read in cycling books that weight training makes you a better sprinter and improves your climbing speed.

Originally posted by 2LAP
I cross train for two reasons...
1. Something different to do over the winter when its too dark/cold/wet to train.
2. Maintain as much fitness as I can before returning to cycling when the weather changes.

I'm convinced that I gain less fitness than I would by spending the same amount of time cycling.

....... why ? don't you have an indoor trainier, I read somewhere that 10 minutes twice a week can go a longway to inhibiting the detraining effect

Originally posted by supersaiyan
I do Taekwondo and started bicycling recreationally with a chance that I may compete some time if I get good enough. I compete in state and national taekwondo tournaments.

However, I only spend 1/2 my training time per day actually doing taekwondo, blocks, punches, etc. I weight train for up to 2 hr 4 tiems a week. I alternate running and bicycling on opposite days. Though sometimes I do bicycle in the morning and run in the evening on my runnign days. I also jump rope at a very fast pace for up to 30 mintutes at a time. I also spend a considerable amount of time stretching, (to compete well at taekwondo, you have to at least be able to do a front split). None of this affects my taekwondo training or my bicycle peformance as long as nothing is sore from the day before. But that almost becomes a non-existant after a month of cross training. I also try to keep from becoming overly exhausted from any type of training because it isn't my only focus. I think cross training will make you a better athlete and bicyclist. I have read in cycling books that weight training makes you a better sprinter and improves your climbing speed.

By improving your aerobic fitness on the bike you will enhance your ability to recover from an anaerobic event, ie: taekwondo match

However I practiced “Kendo” for fifteen years, developed excellent anaerobic ability but my cycling never really improved much. The cycling certainly helped my Kendo ( fitness)

Most of the martial art people I know, run. What made you choose cycling instead ?

Recreational cyclist / commuter,
I'm currently complementing cycling with some weight training & various aerobic gym machines, mainly the elliptical-cross-trainer; I want to take up running when some minor joint/foot issues fully clear up.

I definitely feel more general benefit from full-body excercise. I have no idea if it is actually improving my cycling, but I can currently sustain higher intensities for longer through other means so I assume it's worthwhile. I also hope this means I have potential for future improvement on the bike if I persevere.

Where's a good source of info on cross-training?

Originally posted by edd
....... why ? don't you have an indoor trainier, I read somewhere that 10 minutes twice a week can go a longway to inhibiting the detraining effect
I only indoor train when I'm working towards goals as it drives me crazy. As a junior, I did up to 2.5 hours once to avoid riding on Ice a week before the national cyclo cross race. Better bored than with a break. If I turbo trained all winter, I'd be ready to take up golf before the summer!!

At the moment (when I'm not I'll), I'm doing...
2 rides both long, hilly and on the weekend
3 gym sessions including 15 mins bike, row, stepper and run followed by 60 mins weights designed to correct postural problems.
Sometimes I'll run for 30 minutes on the roads as hard as I can when its dark and raining to blow the cobwebs away.

Idealy, I aim to maintain my fitness over the darkest months and periods of illness. Usualy I find a slight decline. I have done weights in the winter since I was 14 and I'm now 24; only once was there a benefit for my cycling... When 15 and 16 I used to struggle to pick up my cyclo cross bike over jumps, strength training on my tricepts and deltoids soon sorted that out.

Originally posted by supersaiyan

Fu-man-chu master speaking in dubbed English (lips out of sync, of course):

"Flying bicycle kick!"

"Crane-style wheelie!"

"Monkey-style bunny hop!"

"Excellent, Grasshopper. Your training is complete. Now you must fight the head disciple of the TaKoed-Rim School..."

Sorry, couldn't resist the martial arts movie monologue.

Sounds like some great anaerobic cross training you have worked in there. Your weight training should really help improve your core strength (which should also help your climbing).

I cross train to avoid burnout on the bike. I do 2 days/wk of weight training (30-45 min. workouts) and 2-3 days/wk of back country/x-country skiing (and snowboarding when I can afford the lift ticket). I also commute by bike all winter.

I like the nordic skiing because it works different leg muscles than cycling and it works the core muscles and triceps. Plus, it get me into some really scenic areas that aren't rideable this time of the year (due to snow).

Originally posted by jmcmillanut
I like the nordic skiing because it works different leg muscles than cycling and it works the core muscles and triceps. Plus, it get me into some really scenic areas that aren't rideable this time of the year (due to snow).

I heard a rumor that cross country skiing was a great cross training activity for cyclists as it gets the leg conditioning very differently and is great for overall stamina.

I was looking to see if anyone has a concept of retaining / maintaining any of their cycling improvements during a break and then building on them in preseason training and how cross training might contribute to this ?

I only indoor train when I'm working towards goals as it drives me crazy. As a junior, I did up to 2.5 hours once to avoid riding on Ice a week before the national cyclo cross race. Better bored than with a break. If I turbo trained all winter, I'd be ready to take up golf before the summer!!

When one is pretty fit, it takes a lot of work and cleaver work at that to make gains. However it takes a lot less effort (and time) to maintain them.

Rest is underrated !

If I turbo trained all winter, I'd be ready to take up golf before the summer!!

I train 7 hours a week on a stationary bike, it's my job ( one of four ) they pay me to do it. I don't get bored, I just get tired.

I hate golf !

Originally posted by edd
I train 7 hours a week on a stationary bike, it's my job ( one of four ) they pay me to do it. I don't get bored, I just get tired.

I hate golf !
You must be a professional lab rat or a spinning instructor. Either way, sounds like a great job!

You must be a professional lab rat or a spinning instructor. Either way, sounds like a great job!

Yeah, (not a lab rat.) got a couple of triathletes, one roady and a mountain biker who come do my classes, a long with a whole bunch of recreational riders, thanks, with the help of this forum, I've built an entire training calendar, doing an hour and a half on Sundays and 2 hours on Mondays just on base work, I’m kind-of amazed I managed to talk everyone into it, said it's only for eight weeks. Then I'll go back to punishing them again. Fun ! and Money !

But it means less time on the road bike, bugger, but the time on the road bike is really enjoyable, except when I have to climb hills and I have to climb hills, hills and more hills, you can’t mimic climbing a hill on pedal furniture !

Originally posted by ebola
Recreational cyclist / commuter,
I'm currently complementing cycling with some weight training & various aerobic gym machines, mainly the elliptical-cross-trainer; I want to take up running when some minor joint/foot issues fully clear up.

I definitely feel more general benefit from full-body excercise. I have no idea if it is actually improving my cycling, but I can currently sustain higher intensities for longer through other means so I assume it's worthwhile. I also hope this means I have potential for future improvement on the bike if I persevere.

Where's a good source of info on cross-training?

Right here ! this forum is a good source of info, people will post links to other sites if they feel there is real benefit from them.

Read the thread on “Cycling & Weight Training” it is very insightful re: with what not to do if you what to be a better cyclist.

Then come back to this tread and post a specific question lots of people will jump to your assistance, maybe ?

I’m a strength coach, so I’ll try, but it’s hard when you don’t have any idea of who your dealing with.

I ride and row. Both sports complement each other. Recently did a 7.2 km TT on the bike, it's up hill the whole way with a 5% slope for the last 2.3 km - a real gut buster. At the end I felt the same as at the end of a hard 1000m sprint in the eight (ie knackered).

Usually I row about 10 km, 4 or 5 times per week (about 1 hour per trip). At the moment I'm trying to do at least 10 hours per week on the bike - at my current average speed that should be nearly 300 km per week.

I think I am working harder on the bike than with the rowing at the moment. Need to lift my intensity in the boat, I think. One reason I am taking it easy in the boat is I am enjoying the riding so much, I want to save some energy to improve my times.

I think that is the dilemna of doing two complimentary sports at once. If you cross train it is probably important to remember that if your primary focus is one discipline then the cross training sport should only be done to assist your primary discipline. Problem is if you start getting good at it there is a temptation to increase the focus on it. I find competitive sportsmen like to compete at the best level they can achieve, no matter what the sport they are doing.