Cross Training for swimming

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Subba Rao, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Subba Rao

    Subba Rao Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to know what cross training exercises are good for
    swimmers. I want to improve my endurance and some speed.

    Any advice or pointers appreciated.

    Thank you in advance.

    Regards,

    Subbarao

    Tags:

  2. Cycling is excellent for your kick. So is Alpine skiing.

    I train with an elite USS team. (I'm an old man and the coach likes me
    around as an example..blah..blah)) and we do a variety of cross
    training: circuits, weight balls, obstacle course, running, sprints,
    calisthenics. You name it we do it. The coach references a study that
    compares cross training to weight lifting and in every instance the
    cross trained athlete is stronger.

  3. Bill Roberto

    Bill Roberto Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Cycling is excellent for your kick. So is Alpine skiing.
    >
    > I train with an elite USS team. (I'm an old man and the coach likes me
    > around as an example..blah..blah)) and we do a variety of cross
    > training: circuits, weight balls, obstacle course, running, sprints,
    > calisthenics. You name it we do it. The coach references a study that
    > compares cross training to weight lifting and in every instance the
    > cross trained athlete is stronger.

    I find using light dumbbells (5 lbs) doing exercises for 1 minute on and
    one minute rest for 30 minutes 2 or 3 days a week plus push ups and pull
    ups along with hiking on a treadmill (4mph @ 5-10% incline x 30 minutes
    everyday) allows me to go 6 months without surfing and do a spontaneous
    go out for 2 hours without shoulder pain. I focus on 2 main exercises 1)
    Side delt lateral raises and 2) Paddle rotation exercise.