Cross Training for swimming

Subba Rao

Guest
Hi,

I would like to know what cross training exercises are good for
swimmers. I want to improve my endurance and some speed.

Any advice or pointers appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Subbarao

Cycling is excellent for your kick. So is Alpine skiing.

I train with an elite USS team. (I'm an old man and the coach likes me
around as an example..blah..blah)) and we do a variety of cross
training: circuits, weight balls, obstacle course, running, sprints,
calisthenics. You name it we do it. The coach references a study that
compares cross training to weight lifting and in every instance the
cross trained athlete is stronger.

[email protected] wrote:
> Cycling is excellent for your kick. So is Alpine skiing.
>
> I train with an elite USS team. (I'm an old man and the coach likes me
> around as an example..blah..blah)) and we do a variety of cross
> training: circuits, weight balls, obstacle course, running, sprints,
> calisthenics. You name it we do it. The coach references a study that
> compares cross training to weight lifting and in every instance the
> cross trained athlete is stronger.

I find using light dumbbells (5 lbs) doing exercises for 1 minute on and
one minute rest for 30 minutes 2 or 3 days a week plus push ups and pull
ups along with hiking on a treadmill (4mph @ 5-10% incline x 30 minutes
everyday) allows me to go 6 months without surfing and do a spontaneous
go out for 2 hours without shoulder pain. I focus on 2 main exercises 1)
Side delt lateral raises and 2) Paddle rotation exercise.