Cross-Training with Ergometer

Jesse Falsone

Sep 22, 2003
Has anyone cross-trained for cycling with a Concept II Ergometer? I've been erging for about 10 years, but have only started cycling 1.5 yrs ago. Where cycling for me tends to be more of an endurance exercise (1-2 hrs typically), ergometer training tends to be less so (my erg sessions run from 2000 m sprints to 45 minute "steady-state" pulls).

I have noticed a few interesting things, and I'm wondering if anyone has shared these observations:

1) I seem to be more comfortable on the erg with a higher sustained heart rate. I can sustain 180-185 bpm for 20 minutes or so without a quick build-up of lactic acid.

2) I can reach a higher max heart rate on the erg without crashing - measured up to 205 once. I have trouble going above 192 on the bike.

3) I don't have a power meter on the bike, but on the erg I can average about 220-230 watts for 40 minutes without absolutely crushing myself. My guess is that I can't do this on the bike.

4) Increasing performance on the bike has not necessarily translated to increased erg performance.

I'm a heavier rider, 5'10" and 196, so this may account for my relative strength on the erg compared with my biking performance (I'm an 18-19 mph guy riding alone for 20-25 mi.). Also, I suppose upper body strength helps with erging, and is a liability (bulk-wise) for biking. Also, no hills on the erg!

I suppose the recipricating motion of the erg vs. the constant power of bike pedaling may play into the training differences I'm seeing.

Anyway, the erg is a tortuous machine, like the bike, but they seem to offer very different training benefits as far as I can tell.

Hi there Jesse Falsone, I just got back on the erg for the first time in years and agree with a number of your points:

1) My MHR is about 194 on the erg and about 189 on the bike. (I know 194 is the max, but haven't got it any higher on the bike).
2) I can row 20 minutes at 96% MHR and don't seem to build up lactic acid.

Rowing is excellent excersie, no doubt. I'm laying off riding for the winter with knee problems - hoping that the erg develops knee strength to help.

Happy cycling and rowing

Ssushi

I've been rowing collegiately for the past two years, but recently gave it up to concentrate on my first love- road biking. However, the hard training on the water and on the erg has made me a monster on the bike. I think it has to do with training your heart to handle the stress of an all body workout like rowing, and then being able to put all of that energy into your legs instead on the bike. All I know is I went for a 50 mile club ride after barely riding my bike for over a year, and I was destroying them. (And yes, it was a fast group ride)