Cross training?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Richard Miller, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk the
    next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?

    Richard

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    > the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    > Richard

    All of the above? Works for me...

    Matt

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    you could even do some extreme cross training with some freestyle walking
    http://fswalking.hypermart.net/

    Richard Miller wrote:
    > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    > the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    > Richard

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    > the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?

    Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?

    JD

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
    day
    > > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
    same
    > > day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    > Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >
    > JD

    No damn good reason I can think of!

    Mike

  6. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:49:07 -0700, "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    >the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    >Richard

    I would suggest doing them different days. Biking and running use different muscles. You could
    alternate days.

    I bike 3 days a week (weather permitting) and hike 2 days. To exercise my upper body and abs, I take
    a Body Toning class 2 days a week.

    Gwen

    --
    Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
    across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels

  7. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JD wrote:
    > "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    >> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    > Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?

    Damn right. Walking is for chumps.

    And I've heard that pro riders stop running when properly training. It trains the wrong muscles
    and makes them slower. That may or may not be an issue for you, but the best training for riding
    is riding.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

    - Hermes, Futurama

  8. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
    day
    > > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
    same
    > > day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    > Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >
    > JD

    I pretty much never want to run instead of ride, but sometimes I want to make it burn and I only
    have 20 minutes. Or it's dark, or too snowy, or I'm traveling for work and couldn't bring the bike.

    Riding is preferred, but as much as I hate the idea of running before I go, I always feel good from
    a run. Nothing works me in the same period of time like a run can. Kind of a love/hate relationship.

    If you have good shoes and your structure allows for it (big guys aren't made for running as much)
    then why not?

    Matt (been riding lately instead and it IS better)

  9. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    >> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    >Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >
    >JD

    Truth.

    Dave (that hurt)

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
    > day
    > > > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
    > same
    > > > day, Morning and evening or together?
    > >
    > > Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > I pretty much never want to run instead of ride, but sometimes I want to make it burn and I
    > only have 20 minutes. Or it's dark, or too snowy, or I'm traveling for work and couldn't bring
    > the bike.
    >
    > Riding is preferred, but as much as I hate the idea of running before I go, I always feel good
    > from a run. Nothing works me in the same period of time like a run can. Kind of a love/hate
    > relationship.
    >
    > If you have good shoes and your structure allows for it (big guys aren't made for running as much)
    > then why not?

    I pounded enough ground in CCT. My knees thanked me when I took up mountain biking in 1986.

    > Matt (been riding lately instead and it IS better)

    Damn skippy it's better.

    JD

  11. I have a dog

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
    >
    > >"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
    day
    > >> and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
    same
    > >> day, Morning and evening or together?
    > >
    > >Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    > >
    > >JD
    >
    > Truth.
    >
    > Dave (that hurt)

  12. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:00:35 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > >> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >
    > >No damn good reason I can think of!
    >
    > Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a bit
    > of scrambling) - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg

    That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.

    JD

  14. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 20 Apr 2003 17:18:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

    >> >No damn good reason I can think of!
    >>
    >> Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a bit
    >> of scrambling) - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg
    >
    >That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.

    Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been fantastic,
    but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  15. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 20 Apr 2003 17:18:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

    > >> Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a
    > >> bit of scrambling) -
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg
    > >
    > >That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.
    >
    > Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been
    > fantastic, but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.

    Trade in for new girl with bike and riding skills? or plan B get a bike for your girl and teach her
    riding skills (this is the tactic I am trying).

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  16. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 21 Apr 2003 08:34:26 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) blathered:

    >> >That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.
    >>
    >> Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been
    >> fantastic, but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.
    >
    >Trade in for new girl with bike and riding skills? or plan B get a bike for your girl and teach her
    >riding skills (this is the tactic I am trying).

    The girl in question has cycled solo across the Tibetan plateau, and is probably the fastest person
    I've ever cycled with. I cheerfully predict she'd kick the butts of most people posting here. She
    just didn't have her bike with her, and the nearest decent hire bike was over 80 miles away.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  17. I like a good Sun Dance now and again, but actual cross training. Jeez. That's hard core. You must
    be a singlespeeder.

    CC

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:49:07 -0700, "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    >the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    >Richard

    Swim, bike, run ...same day.

    Peace, Bill(gotta work on the transitions)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
    than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
    the world.
    :-]

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
    >> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
    >
    >Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >
    >JD

    You're killin' me here, please stop.

    :-]

  20. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:00:35 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
    >>
    >> JD
    >
    >No damn good reason I can think of!
    >
    >Mike

    Mike, c'mon now use your noggin!