Cross training?

Richard Miller

Guest
Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk the
next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?

Richard

"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
> Richard

All of the above? Works for me...

Matt

you could even do some extreme cross training with some freestyle walking
http://fswalking.hypermart.net/

Richard Miller wrote:
> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
> Richard

"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?

Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?

JD

> "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
day
> > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
same
> > day, Morning and evening or together?
>
> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>
> JD

No damn good reason I can think of!

Mike

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:49:07 -0700, "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
>the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
>Richard

I would suggest doing them different days. Biking and running use different muscles. You could
alternate days.

I bike 3 days a week (weather permitting) and hike 2 days. To exercise my upper body and abs, I take
a Body Toning class 2 days a week.

Gwen

--
Gwen Morse -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= "Love is a snowmobile racing
across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels

In article <[email protected]>, JD wrote:
> "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
>> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?

Damn right. Walking is for chumps.

And I've heard that pro riders stop running when properly training. It trains the wrong muscles
and makes them slower. That may or may not be an issue for you, but the best training for riding
is riding.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

- Hermes, Futurama

> "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
day
> > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
same
> > day, Morning and evening or together?
>
> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>
> JD

I pretty much never want to run instead of ride, but sometimes I want to make it burn and I only
have 20 minutes. Or it's dark, or too snowy, or I'm traveling for work and couldn't bring the bike.

Riding is preferred, but as much as I hate the idea of running before I go, I always feel good from
a run. Nothing works me in the same period of time like a run can. Kind of a love/hate relationship.

If you have good shoes and your structure allows for it (big guys aren't made for running as much)
then why not?

Matt (been riding lately instead and it IS better)

On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
>> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
>Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>
>JD

Truth.

Dave (that hurt)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
> day
> > > and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
> same
> > > day, Morning and evening or together?
> >
> > Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
> >
> > JD
>
> I pretty much never want to run instead of ride, but sometimes I want to make it burn and I
> only have 20 minutes. Or it's dark, or too snowy, or I'm traveling for work and couldn't bring
> the bike.
>
> Riding is preferred, but as much as I hate the idea of running before I go, I always feel good
> from a run. Nothing works me in the same period of time like a run can. Kind of a love/hate
> relationship.
>
> If you have good shoes and your structure allows for it (big guys aren't made for running as much)
> then why not?

I pounded enough ground in CCT. My knees thanked me when I took up mountain biking in 1986.

> Matt (been riding lately instead and it IS better)

Damn skippy it's better.

JD

I have a dog

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>
> >"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one
day
> >> and run or power walk the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the
same
> >> day, Morning and evening or together?
> >
> >Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
> >
> >JD
>
> Truth.
>
> Dave (that hurt)

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:00:35 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>
> >No damn good reason I can think of!
>
> Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a bit
> of scrambling) - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg

That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.

JD

On 20 Apr 2003 17:18:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

>> >No damn good reason I can think of!
>>
>> Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a bit
>> of scrambling) - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg
>
>That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.

Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been fantastic,
but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 20 Apr 2003 17:18:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

> >> Friday would've been tricky, getting up here on a bike as opposed to running & walking (and a
> >> bit of scrambling) -
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/april2003-bridget/suilvenpan.jpg
> >
> >That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.
>
> Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been
> fantastic, but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.

Trade in for new girl with bike and riding skills? or plan B get a bike for your girl and teach her
riding skills (this is the tactic I am trying).

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

On 21 Apr 2003 08:34:26 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) blathered:

>> >That's what a light SS is for. Use it to approach the scramble, stash it, then rip back down.
>>
>> Dammit, you have spotted the flaw in my arguement. The ride-in to that peak would've been
>> fantastic, but the girl I was with didn't have her bike with her.
>
>Trade in for new girl with bike and riding skills? or plan B get a bike for your girl and teach her
>riding skills (this is the tactic I am trying).

The girl in question has cycled solo across the Tibetan plateau, and is probably the fastest person
I've ever cycled with. I cheerfully predict she'd kick the butts of most people posting here. She
just didn't have her bike with her, and the nearest decent hire bike was over 80 miles away.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

I like a good Sun Dance now and again, but actual cross training. Jeez. That's hard core. You must
be a singlespeeder.

CC

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:49:07 -0700, "Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
>the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
>Richard

Swim, bike, run ...same day.

Peace, Bill(gotta work on the transitions)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.
:-]

On 18 Apr 2003 15:34:35 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>"Richard Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Biking and running for cross training. How would you do this? Bike one day and run or power walk
>> the next? Or Bike and run the same day? If the same day, Morning and evening or together?
>
>Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>
>JD

You're killin' me here, please stop.

:-]

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:00:35 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Why would you want to run or walk when you have a bike?
>>
>> JD
>
>No damn good reason I can think of!
>
>Mike

Mike, c'mon now use your noggin!