Cross Worlds Automatic Selections, WTF?

jerry in vermont

Guest
>From Velosnooze:

snipped RE: women and little kids...

Automatic nominations for the elite men will be announced on January 10
with discretionary nominations to follow January 13. Discretionary
nominations for the elite women, junior and U-23 men will be announced
on December 15.

The world's will be held January 28-29 in Zeddam, The Netherlands.

OK - why do they wait till Jan 10 to tell the men who is auto, and till
Jan13 to tell who is going to be racing on the team??

Doesnt that seem like a little short notice? Didn't Wells at least get
an auto berth, as well as whomever won the series thing? Also, I
thought that the highest ranked in the World Cup series was an auto
selectee. Also, I thought any man in the UCI top 25 or something could
not be passed over for selection. Wasnt that a new rule last year?

All that aside, I am curious if any of you west coasters (since that is
where all the POWER in cycling resides) have any clue as to what is
going on in the ivory tower.

J - on pins and needles waiting to see if I am selected

In article <[email protected]>,
jerry in vermont <[email protected]> wrote:

> >From Velosnooze:

> snipped RE: women and little kids...
>
> Automatic nominations for the elite men will be announced on January 10
> with discretionary nominations to follow January 13. Discretionary
> nominations for the elite women, junior and U-23 men will be announced
> on December 15.
>
> The world's will be held January 28-29 in Zeddam, The Netherlands.
>

> OK - why do they wait till Jan 10 to tell the men who is auto, and till
> Jan13 to tell who is going to be racing on the team??
>
> Doesnt that seem like a little short notice? Didn't Wells at least get
> an auto berth, as well as whomever won the series thing? Also, I
> thought that the highest ranked in the World Cup series was an auto
> selectee. Also, I thought any man in the UCI top 25 or something could
> not be passed over for selection. Wasnt that a new rule last year?
>
> All that aside, I am curious if any of you west coasters (since that is
> where all the POWER in cycling resides) have any clue as to what is
> going on in the ivory tower.
>
> J - on pins and needles waiting to see if I am selected

The only thing I know about the selection process is what is available
at http://www.usacycling.org/forms/06_cx_worlds.pdf

> The only thing I know about the selection process is what is available
> at http://www.usacycling.org/forms/06_cx_worlds.pdf

Thanks for that. I dunno why I hadn't found that before. So, bottom
line, they are basing it on UCI points and the top 50 rule and all
that, but are waiting for the Jan 8th ranking to do it.

That seems a bit odd, but I am sure there is logic behind it. I guess
all the guys in the top 50 NOW know they still will be, and thus can
still plan their lives/training/travel.

I just think it should be clear to all prior to xmas so folks can
decide whether to head over and race on their own nickle, or just bag
it.

One thing I found interesting is that for the ELITE MEN, the US Champ
is no longer on the USAC meal ticket for the worlds. Now the only
funded male elite is the one with the top 3 UCI world cup results, as
of Jan 2. Hmm. Since only Ryan has done at least two, and finished
ahead of Powers who only did one, and since there are only two left
prior to worlds (12/26 and 12/31), then that would suggest that either
Page or Trebon is getting paid to fly back, and Trebon will need to
beat Page handily the next two races.

That is a different way of doing it. I thought it was just the nat
champ getting paid.

Still seems like they could make the call earlier, but I guess this
gives guys a chance to go over and race and try to get on the squad.
Although, there are only 5 spots on the World Cup teams too, and a
whole other set of criteria. Sheesh this is confusing.

"jerry in vermont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One thing I found interesting is that for the ELITE MEN, the US Champ
> is no longer on the USAC meal ticket for the worlds.

Say what - you mean that beating everyone else doesn't automatically get you
sent to worlds?!? Oh wait...this is nothing new.

Andy Coggan

This is probably because so many of the eligibles have chosen not to
go. Let's see this year Todd Wells is probably a lock not to go (as
has been in the past). Compton is certaintly not going, so there's
your national champs right there. If so many folks won't go, why not
setup a system in place to rewards those who will race cross into
January and February.

More later.........
Alan

And what kind of reward would that be? A fruit basket, maybe a free
racing license? USAC hasn't been able (for whatever reason you
believe) support cross riders before, so what could they offer? Maybe
automatic selection the following year...maybe that would take the
pressure off some, but realistically most of the best guys have no
interest in cross. Jon made a big gamble on going full steam in
Europe, but he is still committed to racing a full road season. I'm
just not sure what to offer these guys if they aren't interested in
taking the plunge without it.

CH

[email protected] wrote:
> And what kind of reward would that be? A fruit basket, maybe a free
> racing license? USAC hasn't been able (for whatever reason you
> believe) support cross riders before, so what could they offer? Maybe
> automatic selection the following year...maybe that would take the
> pressure off some, but realistically most of the best guys have no
> interest in cross. Jon made a big gamble on going full steam in
> Europe, but he is still committed to racing a full road season. I'm
> just not sure what to offer these guys if they aren't interested in
> taking the plunge without it.

having slept on it, i think that this is a pretty good decision on
USAC's part. WOW, I said a nice thing...phew.

By making the Elite Men's auto selection (and therefore paid trip, that
what this is about) based on the World Cup standings, not the champs,
or UCI points which are just totally out of context for US based
riders, then they are rewarding and ENCOURAGING our BEST men to go over
to europe and make the plunge.

At the least, they are putting some money back in the pocket of the guy
who has to spend money to come back for nats.

But I think basically it is the best way they have right now to
seriously encourage our BEST riders to go over there and integrate with
the euros and raise the level and respect for the guys back here. It
is of no help or encouragement to say, Jeremy Powers, but it could very
well encourage Ryan and Todd or Timmy to get back there.

Those three guys really should be racing full time in europe, and until
they do, and we have a good 4 riders in the top 30-40 of the UCI for
real, then US cross will continue to be popular in the US, maybe even
grow in numbers in the US, but really just stagnate till we **** the
Euros off enough that they take away UCI status from US races. And
that would be a bad thing.

My 2 cents.

I don't know if Tim has the heart for it. He could do it, but it seems
like he's contect with his life here and racing the U.S. cross scene.
I think Tim's best years (results-wise, not physically) are behind him.
Trebon, perhaps Wells and maybe Anthony, who also seems to not have
the real heart to go Euro-does anyone know where he goes? He
disappears from Feb to July then gets some results and starts racing
cross again...anyway, those three guys are the best for a real younger
crop.

[email protected] wrote:
> I don't know if Tim has the heart for it. He could do it, but it seems
> like he's contect with his life here and racing the U.S. cross scene.
> I think Tim's best years (results-wise, not physically) are behind him.
> Trebon, perhaps Wells and maybe Anthony, who also seems to not have
> the real heart to go Euro-does anyone know where he goes? He
> disappears from Feb to July then gets some results and starts racing
> cross again...anyway, those three guys are the best for a real younger
> crop.

Jesse will ride for Sierra Nevada next year, IIRC. I was thinking the
same thing when I spoke to him at nats. Its like, I haven't seen you
in a coons age, where the heck have you been! Its not like he is 14
any more, he should really be getting results on the road, as he is a
big talent.

I think his parents keep it very real with both the boys. You dont see
Josh on a bike either. Jesse is a super nice "kid" and has a lot of
class. My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."

TJ - he is a "kept man" as they say. Good work if you can get it.

I dont see the Wells Brothers as the euro type either. I think, and
its totally not backed up by anything, that the east coast riders have
a better time of it over there, with the adjustment. Dunno why I say
that, just a gut feeling.

jerry in vermont wrote:
> My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."

Dude,

You're not going to go all 'heather' on us. Are you?

Bob Schwartz

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:19:01 -0600, Bob Schwartz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jerry in vermont wrote:
>> My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."

>Dude,
>
>You're not going to go all 'heather' on us. Are you?

Hey, I'm the eye man.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

jerry in vermont wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I don't know if Tim has the heart for it. He could do it, but it seems
> > like he's contect with his life here and racing the U.S. cross scene.
> > I think Tim's best years (results-wise, not physically) are behind him.
> > Trebon, perhaps Wells and maybe Anthony, who also seems to not have
> > the real heart to go Euro-does anyone know where he goes? He
> > disappears from Feb to July then gets some results and starts racing
> > cross again...anyway, those three guys are the best for a real younger
> > crop.

> Jesse will ride for Sierra Nevada next year, IIRC. I was thinking the
> same thing when I spoke to him at nats. Its like, I haven't seen you
> in a coons age, where the heck have you been! Its not like he is 14
> any more, he should really be getting results on the road, as he is a
> big talent.
>
> I think his parents keep it very real with both the boys. You dont see
> Josh on a bike either. Jesse is a super nice "kid" and has a lot of
> class. My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."
>
> TJ - he is a "kept man" as they say. Good work if you can get it.
>
> I dont see the Wells Brothers as the euro type either. I think, and
> its totally not backed up by anything, that the east coast riders have
> a better time of it over there, with the adjustment. Dunno why I say
> that, just a gut feeling.

Lots more Anthonys coming up. They're all really nice kidsand if you've
ever talked to Joe for a while it quickly becomes obvious that they get
it from their family. Just really good people.

Junior Men 15-16
4 2320 ANTHONY Silas Essex County Velo

Junior Men 13-14
15 2355 ANTHONY Gabe ECV
Junior Men 10-12
16 2376 ANTHONY Caleb ECV

and just to make it interesting:
Junior Women 10-12
1 2443 WHITE Elizabeth NEBC

I'm pretty sure that her sister is:
Junior Women 17-18
2 2080 WHITE Stephanie Gearworks/Spin Arts

Bill C

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:19:01 -0600, Bob Schwartz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>jerry in vermont wrote:
>>
>>>My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."

>>Dude,
>>
>>You're not going to go all 'heather' on us. Are you?

> Hey, I'm the eye man.
>
> JT

lol, yep. i'm the one following u23 men around helplessly because they
smell good, not because of something freaky and perverted like "those
eyes". sheesh...

but maybe bob should explain what he means by "go all 'heather' on us".
bob??

heather

h squared wrote:
> but maybe bob should explain what he means by "go all 'heather' on us".
> bob??

I mean, post something that would make JT sweat. Not that there
is anything wrong with that, depending on how you feel about
sweat.

Bob Schwartz

Bill C wrote:
> jerry in vermont wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > I don't know if Tim has the heart for it. He could do it, but it seems
> > > like he's contect with his life here and racing the U.S. cross scene.
> > > I think Tim's best years (results-wise, not physically) are behind him.
> > > Trebon, perhaps Wells and maybe Anthony, who also seems to not have
> > > the real heart to go Euro-does anyone know where he goes? He
> > > disappears from Feb to July then gets some results and starts racing
> > > cross again...anyway, those three guys are the best for a real younger
> > > crop.

> > Jesse will ride for Sierra Nevada next year, IIRC. I was thinking the
> > same thing when I spoke to him at nats. Its like, I haven't seen you
> > in a coons age, where the heck have you been! Its not like he is 14
> > any more, he should really be getting results on the road, as he is a
> > big talent.
> >
> > I think his parents keep it very real with both the boys. You dont see
> > Josh on a bike either. Jesse is a super nice "kid" and has a lot of
> > class. My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."
> >
> > TJ - he is a "kept man" as they say. Good work if you can get it.
> >
> > I dont see the Wells Brothers as the euro type either. I think, and
> > its totally not backed up by anything, that the east coast riders have
> > a better time of it over there, with the adjustment. Dunno why I say
> > that, just a gut feeling.

> Lots more Anthonys coming up. They're all really nice kidsand if you've
> ever talked to Joe for a while it quickly becomes obvious that they get
> it from their family. Just really good people.
>
> Junior Men 15-16
> 4 2320 ANTHONY Silas Essex County Velo
>
> Junior Men 13-14
> 15 2355 ANTHONY Gabe ECV
> Junior Men 10-12
> 16 2376 ANTHONY Caleb ECV
>
> and just to make it interesting:
> Junior Women 10-12
> 1 2443 WHITE Elizabeth NEBC
>
> I'm pretty sure that her sister is:
> Junior Women 17-18
> 2 2080 WHITE Stephanie Gearworks/Spin Arts
>
> Bill C

I sat with Jesse's folks on the plane back from portland. yah, very
impressed, good people.

What is Josh doing?

jerry in vermont wrote:
> Bill C wrote:
> > jerry in vermont wrote:
> > >
> > > Jesse will ride for Sierra Nevada next year, IIRC. I was thinking the
> > > same thing when I spoke to him at nats. Its like, I haven't seen you
> > > in a coons age, where the heck have you been! Its not like he is 14
> > > any more, he should really be getting results on the road, as he is a
> > > big talent.
> > >
> > > I think his parents keep it very real with both the boys. You dont see
> > > Josh on a bike either. Jesse is a super nice "kid" and has a lot of
> > > class. My wife has a crush on him... "those eyes..."
> > >
> > > TJ - he is a "kept man" as they say. Good work if you can get it.
> > >
> > > I dont see the Wells Brothers as the euro type either. I think, and
> > > its totally not backed up by anything, that the east coast riders have
> > > a better time of it over there, with the adjustment. Dunno why I say
> > > that, just a gut feeling.

> > Lots more Anthonys coming up. They're all really nice kidsand if you've
> > ever talked to Joe for a while it quickly becomes obvious that they get
> > it from their family. Just really good people.
> >
> > Junior Men 15-16
> > 4 2320 ANTHONY Silas Essex County Velo
> >
> > Junior Men 13-14
> > 15 2355 ANTHONY Gabe ECV
> > Junior Men 10-12
> > 16 2376 ANTHONY Caleb ECV
> >
> > and just to make it interesting:
> > Junior Women 10-12
> > 1 2443 WHITE Elizabeth NEBC
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that her sister is:
> > Junior Women 17-18
> > 2 2080 WHITE Stephanie Gearworks/Spin Arts
> >
> > Bill C

> I sat with Jesse's folks on the plane back from portland. yah, very
> impressed, good people.
>
> What is Josh doing?

I don't know. haven't seen him in a couple of years. I'm guessing he's
going to school probably.
USAC doesn't have anything newer than the 2003 road championships
listed for him. Alan might know.
Bill C

He hasn't raced in a couple of years. He was at nats this weekend
hanging out with Stu Thorne in the cyclocrossworld.com camper.

Alan