Crossfit And Biking.

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by egrocket, May 14, 2015.

1. egrocket

egrocket New Member

Often after my afternoon rides, I will do an evening crossfit session. I feel like this really strengthens my core and my quads. Has anyone ever done this? or do you think that this could hurt my knees?

Tags:

2. 9lines

9lines Member

Crossfit helps one to be a professional cyclist since it involves workout for the whole body. It helps to strengthen our muscles so we can cycle for long hours. It also helps us lose excess body fat to required quantities. Crossfit helps us avoid muscle crumps while cycling.

3. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

I have watched CrossFit at my local gym and it always just looks like people doing standard movements really fast with terrible form. It always looks like a good way to get an injury and be off the bike while you heal.
    I prefer good old fashion strength training. Deadlifts and squats especially.
    Some of my friends swear by plyos for building that explosive power. I still have yet to give plyos a try but I think I would do them before I ever tried Crossfit.
    I feel as if CrossFit is just one of those trends that will be here today and gone tomorrow, replaced by the next fad workout.

4. sbatz72

sbatz72 New Member

I cannot say that I have. I can say that I might from now on. The gym is open 7 days and open 24 hours for five of these 7 days. I am really considering it. This might help with other areas of feeling a little more fit also.

5. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

It could be beneficial but i would suggest that you do your bike sessions very lightly if you have a crossfit wod the same day or even better if you do them on separate days, otherwise it could result in over training and adrenal fatigue...

6. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

It could be beneficial but i would suggest that you do your bike sessions very lightly if you have a crossfit wod the same day or even better if you do them on separate days, otherwise it could result in over training and adrenal fatigue...

7. artyarson

artyarson Member

Sure, riding on a bike will make your feet stronger.

8. goldenmaine

goldenmaine New Member

I guess it helps as long as you are not overworking your muscles to the point that you will have muscle fatigue and could not be able to ride your bike anymore. If you feel that your body and legs have become stronger and your performance in cycling has increased, then it is a good co-activity with cycling. But it would be a negative effect if you are too tired to ride anymore because of crossfit and you are not able to balance both activities.

9. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

I am with you golden, exercise is always good considering we do not over do it. Many times to progress in our sport we need to do specific training, because certain muscles need to be developed.

10. jimmy484

jimmy484 Member

I don't think crossfit is compatible with achieving the highest the level that you can in cycling. The principle of specificity is supreme, and from what I know about crossfit this isn't a good fit with the demands of cycling.

That said, if you have a period of GPP scheduled and you want to do crossfit as a change of pace maybe in the off-season I could see this working. But as a regular, long-term gig, crossfit isn't for me.

11. ambal

ambal Active Member

I wouldn't touch cross fit, most of the people who do it are completely nuts.

12. jimmy484

jimmy484 Member

It does have the whiff of "snake oil" about it.

Personally, anything that has you doing high-repetition Olympic lifts while in a fatigued state is obviously not a good idea. That said, I've never actually tried it in its proper form i.e daily WODS from the Crossfit website, but some things don't necessarily need to be experienced to know they're no good.

13. bykster

bykster Member

Yeah, I'm not clicking on a video with "fails" in the title that has a girl squatting with what seems like a lot of weight in the preview.

I'm not sure that people who do crossfit are nuts, there are some enthusiasts though, but at it's core crossfit isn't a bad workout program. My ex used to it and she had fun with it and toned really nicely. Not my cup of tea, but I can understand how someone would like it. As far as combining it cycling... I'm not sure. Both can be cardio intensive and I think that in the end it all depends on your overall fitness goals.

14. CoreAddison

CoreAddison New Member

Crossfit Cycling Workouts

15. djcycling

djcycling New Member

I do circuit training that is pretty similar to a lot of crossfit workouts, but because its not as intense, I won't call it crossfit per se. So yeah, I do something similar for my core. And it has made me a better cyclist.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have not personally been involved in any crossfit activities but from what I have seen and what I understand these things are pretty intense. It might be a bit too much for me, and I am more of the person who enjoys a casual ride versus anything rigorous, although I do use riding for my harder workouts.

17. Power Meter City

I'm a big believer is supplementing your cycling with gym work, whether it be crossfit or something else. I went about 4 years with nothing but cycling. I got fast on the bike but otherwise I would consider myself unhealthy. Couldn't even do 10 push-ups. I'm not going to make that mistake again.

BikeBikeBikeBike likes this.
  18. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

That is true for cycling and for most sports, I mean, when we go to the gym the body is overall more fit so we will perform better at any sport.

19. Gombafej

Gombafej New Member

It's nice. Helps develop muscle even faster. Crossfit and Cycling match really well together.

20. jimmy484

jimmy484 Member

If I was going to do a crossfit workout, I'd do it before a bike session, rather than after. This just follows the advice in Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training to put strength/power work before endurance-type activity within the daily schedule.

As to whether crossfit improves cycling performance? Honestly? Probably not. But it depends on what you're looking to get out of your crossfit workouts, and what you're looking to get out of your cycle training. Your mile may vary etc etc.