Crossing the Mid Hudson bridge

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Cmac, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Cmac

    Cmac Guest

    I need to cross the Mid Hudson bridge from route 9W south and then continue on route 9 South.
    Actually, I would prefer to use side streets in Poughkeepsie to Spackenkill, then to 9 South from
    there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Finally, can I access the bridge in the same manner
    going north?

    Tags:

  2. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (CMac) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I need to cross the Mid Hudson bridge from route 9W south and then continue on route 9 South.
    > Actually, I would prefer to use side streets in Poughkeepsie to Spackenkill, then to 9 South from
    > there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Finally, can I access the bridge in the same
    > manner going north?

    The Mid Hudson bridge has only 1 pedistrian lane on the north side (seperated from the west
    bound lane).

    To access the lane from the west side you need to take Haviland Road. It will lead you to a park
    where the entrance for the pedistrian lane is (as I recall it is well signed). Don't take Rt. 44
    you'll be stopped at the toll barier. Once you get across the bridge you can access any local street
    in Poughkeepsie. Keep in mind that through Poukeepsie Rt. 9 is a limited access highway with no bike
    access. A few miles south of Poughkeepsie there is a "bike lane" sidewalk that is not pleasant to
    ride. I'd suggest you avoid Rt. 9 all together.

    Going back west (or north as you put it) the pedistrian lane will take you to the same park where
    you can connect with 9W.

    The pedistrian lane is kind of narrow. You'll have to stop and let walkers and others go the other
    direction. Signs require you to walk your bike across. The view is very nice.

    Enjoy, Andy

  3. On 18 Mar 2003 19:13:39 -0800, [email protected] (CMac) wrote:

    >I need to cross the Mid Hudson bridge from route 9W south and then continue on route 9 South.
    >Actually, I would prefer to use side streets in Poughkeepsie to Spackenkill, then to 9 South from
    >there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Finally, can I access the bridge in the same manner
    >going north?

    I know this is cheating, but when I was biking around the USA in 1981-82, I crossed this bridge on
    foot. In other words, I used the bridge's south sidewalk.

    Great view, and I decided to have a little fun along the way. I was having a mid-afternoon snack, a
    very tasty locally grown peach. When I was finished, I tossed the peach pit over the rail and
    watched it fall. I wanted to watch it splash into the water, which was a long way down. The splash
    was microscopic.

    Martha Retallick

  4. Ken Roberts

    Ken Roberts Guest

    For some ideas on streets and roads to connect from the Mid-Hudson Bridge through Poughkeepsie (or
    to the Metro North train station), visit the main map on Bike Hudson Valley:
    www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/map and click on Poughkeepsie. From the Poughkeepsie map, you can go
    to more detailed text descriptions and cue sheets by clicking on some of the colored routes.
    Clicking on the colored route on the west side of the bridge gives an idea for avoiding a nasty
    section of Rt 9W just to the north of the bridge.

    Ken
    CMac wrote