Crosstraining year round

Botaferro

Jun 7, 2003
Is it possible to be a competitive mountain biker mixing sports all year (cycling 4 times a week and boxing 2 times a week), or should i forget the boxing stuff? I only compete in mtb, but i love Boxing and i don't realy want to drop it...

Drop the boxing. Ever watch an old boxer? Pretty sad. Do some cross training that will help the biking. Road bike riding, weight training, something like that.

I don't really fight, it's more like hiting the bag and shadow boxing. Only the moves are from broxing, but in the realitty it's like a hi intensity aerobic class...

If you enjoy them so much then keep them both up. If you want to focus on the cycling, the boxing will more than likely need to take a back seat. You will know when this is because you will notice the Boxing eating into the recovery time.

You could always reduce the boxing to a level where it has little impact on the cycling; returning to it more seriously when you are in your cycling off season.

Unless you are really serious about MTB and need all the training and recovery time available... do you really need to give up something you like so much.

Botaferro:

I'm really into Muay Thai kickboxing in addition to riding. Pick what you really like the most and give it most of your energy.

Don't ever quit boxing bro. Seriously, boxing is an awesome workout and comes in handy if you have to take care of business!!!

If you race, you need to plan your boxing around your riding. Always think about recovery.

When you are really smoked from riding, you will really feel it in your legs when doing bagwork.
Doing light bagwork will still do wonders for your fighting skills, so if you have to drop heavy boxing workouts, don't worry too much about it, just do a heavy session once a week or so when you feel like it.

When it comes to throwing punches, it is better to give than recieve!!!

Good luck!!!