Crosstraining

Avocadogirl

Mar 4, 2015
California
Do any of you cross train in order to take a break from biking? If so, what do you do?

I personally run, and swim on hot days if I have the chance. I think it is good for both my body and my mind to change what I do every so often. I don't run often either, although I probably should. How many days a week do you crosstrain (again, if you do)?

I usually prefer to swim. I think swimming has a way to make you feel relaxed and happy. That is the second most sought after sport here and I enjoy it thoroughly.

I am a ballet dancer. I've been dancing about a year and a half now. I noticed a huge change shortly after I started dancing. The hill I used to ride every day on the way home from work was always hard for 3 years. I guess because I never really pushed myself to do anything harder or longer, but after I started dancing, I had moved to a new neighborhood, but when I went back on that old route to a store I discovered the hill was not hard at all anymore. Since I bike to a dance class that is downhill from where I live, I have gotten used to doing a mile long incline after an hour and a half of dancing, so now, running an erand uphil when I haven't danced is no big deal! It's amazing how strong I have gotten. I never thought I would be capable of doing the things I am doing now.

I do a lot of strength training and use exercises like deadlifts and squats. This helps a lot not just in adding power but also efficiency as it improves your form and cadence. You can also do a type of resistance training called slow twitch hypertrophy. You basically squat for super slow with limited range of motion and not locking out. You should be able to do this for only 30-60 seconds other wise you should add some weights. Training the slow twitch muscles will give more endurance to that specific muscle.

I used to cycle to work and then swim at lunchtime (unless my swim buddy was not available, in which case it was the gym), then cycle home. I did that for 7 years and it was great. I also walked a lot.

Now I am only walking and cycling.

It is important that cycling is not the only form of exercise you take because standard road bike cycling is not an impact sport, so does not protect the bones from bone density loss - something men and women need to watch out for (several male pros have had to retire from the sport because of osteoporosis). There is some debate and a little scientific research has been done into mountain biking (as in trail riding or downhilling) which shows that mountain biking does aid bone density as an impact sport, but riding a mountain bike down a bridlepath or just ambling around a forest is not going to help.

I haven't thought about it but I think I need to really incorporate some other exercises into what I do other than just biking. If I were to do that I think it would be of huge improvement on my part. I think it would really help me to move forward and find new ways to get in shape so I would be bored with doing the same thing over and over again.

I don't crosstrain at all. At best I just do a modified farmers walk with a weighted back pack. I strap the dog up, put on my back pack and take a brisk walk around the neighborhood. I work up a great sweat and the dog loves it. He gets to show off his human.

Crosstraining is pretty specific in that it's intensive exercises one after another in multiple capacities. I stick to the occasional jog and then some weight lifting before or afterward. I don't have the willpower for crosstraining half the time because it can be a pretty challenging workout!

Nah, I don't cross train at all. Life started kicking my ass and just let myself go.

I do some crossfit, if that counts. It is a great workout for the quads. The quads are, of course, the main muscle you use when biking. This will help with your sternum in biking.

In the summer almost never. Well once a week or two of some strength training with weights.
But in the winter it's the opposite, I consider it a good month if I get out and ride once. So then I am at the gym picking up and putting down heavy objects a few times a week.

Yea I cross train with running if I don't have a lot of time to excercise for the day and what not. It works pretty well for me at least.

I do cross-training because I want to lose weight. I'm obese and go for brisk walks outdoors and static cycling at home. It is best for people who want to lose weight. If you are already slim and fit, you don't require it but is still good as different exercises work different muscle groups. You, however, have to consume enough calories to maintain your weight.

Swimming is the best form of exercise and also relaxes your exhausted muscles. You can often go swimming along with bike riding. However, if you go for a resistance training you can build some lean muscle as well.

Everyone knows that running is a great way to get into shape, but did you know that it can benefit almost every part of your body.

Wow @dietician that's great info! I was never much of a runner and I have recently started jogging once or twice a week and have found many benefits from it. I'm curious how I should pace my running-jogging-walking intervals while I'm starting out. I also do yoga and dance a lot, I cling aerial dance. I love exercise! Crosstraining helps my muscles and alignment with all of these activities. I do squats and lunges, weight lifting, all variety of planks and core strengthening exercises.

I agree with dietician and some studies suggest that runners have more bone density than cyclist because of adaptation from all the pounding their legs get on the road. Cyclist off course has more bone density than regular couch potatoes...

Cross training is good to do. I kind of prefer to do one type in a day. Better not to break the cardio time, but sometimes it just works out that way. Cross training is good if you are getting any pain or discomfort to get away from the area that is having a problem.
I enjoy swimming, rowing, jogging, walking, elliptical, and things like this.