crotch numbness remedy: standing on pedals?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Klaas Bil, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    When doing a distance ride, crotch numbness is a well-known nuisance
    caused by less blood circulation locally, and possibly by pinching
    nerves. Taking a break is the received wisdom. And/or take part of
    your weight on a handle but I don't like that very much on the
    old-style KH handle I have on my Dikke Dame.

    I recently developed a habit to take breaks WHILE RIDING. I will, each
    20 minutes or so, slow down and ride for about half a minute while
    fully standing on the pedals. Indeed this will render me bobbing up
    and down on the seat, but I like to think that this constitutes extra
    massage for the affected area, increasing the effectivity of the
    procedure. I can ride longer now until I need a proper break.

    Comments? Do other distance riders do something similar?

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I ride like a princess. - john_childs

    Tags:

  2. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    I do this from time to time, although it's not my preferred treatment as
    it lowers my average speed for the ride and I'm kind of metrics-obsessed
    right now. What I've tried to do instead is just identify "leaning"
    opportunities along the ride. Maybe it's a Stop sign, or mailbox, or
    car, fencepost, brick wall, basically anything that I can pedal up to,
    stop, and lean against using one of my hands. That allows me to get up
    out of the saddle, crack my knee back into place, have a quick drink,
    and re-rack as necessary before sitting down and getting a final
    fine-tune on crotch and pedal positons before starting out again.

    I've been trying to ride further and further using only this technique
    for a break every 5 miles or so. Longest so far w/o dismount is about
    15 miles.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

  3. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *...but I like to think that this constitutes extra massage for the
    > affected area, increasing the effectivity of the procedure. *

    Whats next, massaging saddles? Every man will want one!

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    'UPD T-Shirts FOR SALE SOON!!! (Click Me)'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)

  4. deadlydes

    deadlydes Guest

    yeah i tend to do the same klass bill

    tomblack:
    surely you actually *stopping* for a rest will lower your average speed
    more than if you slow down and stand up out of the seat for a while?

    i dont think you should take your average speed just from riding time it
    should be from the total time out! it almost gives you a false sense of
    being fast.

    its almost like a sprinter saying they can do a 70minute marathon (i.e.
    roughly 10 secs per 100m) but they couldnt keep this up for a marothon
    distance

    Just a thought thats all

    --
    deadlydes - Alright Unicyclist

    Listen to what I mean not what I say
    deadlydes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4345

  5. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    I end up doing about 5 revs standing per mile, plus take breaks, plus
    push on the handle, plus move fore and aft in the saddle, plus change
    the angle of my lower back. Others report that changing saddle height
    also can help, and I'd imagine that even changing saddle tilt might help
    too.

    Think -- a five minute break every five miles. On a 60 mile ride, that
    is 11 breaks for a total of 55 minutes. Not such a big deal.

    In five minutes you can wipe your brow, adjust your crotch, stretch your
    back, hamstrings, and neck, and clean your glasses. In addition, your
    crotch has some time to evaporate and cool down. Heat and moisture are
    the key ingredients in chafing.

    After time that break shortens up to, say three minutes. For a 100 mile
    ride, that is 19 breaks for a total of 57 minutes. Same amount of break
    time as the 60 mile ride.

    At 10 mph (10 hours riding), that's only 10% additional time for a
    continuous investment in overall body comfort. Resulting overall speed
    drops from 10 mph to 9.1 mph. Not such a big deal.

    Obviously, being in a groove means that one doesn't want to stop.
    However, by periodically getting off the uni, one can "invest" in
    long-term sustainability.

    --
    U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  6. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    deadlydes wrote:
    > *tomblack:
    > surely you actually stopping* for a rest will lower your average
    > speed more than if you slow down and stand up out of the seat for a
    > while? i dont think you should take your average speed just from
    > riding time it should be from the total time out! it almost gives you
    > a false sense of being fast.

    Yeah, mathmatically you're no doubt correct, but I'll stick with how my
    mind works. Some people like yams for comfort food, some potatos.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    "By George! The man's a genius!"
    Murde Mental

  7. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *I end up doing about 5 revs standing per mile...*

    I do this very thing. I don't have handles. I utilize the "massage".

    First, I ride and ride. After about 6 or 7 miles things could be getting
    uncomfortable so I slow down and stand up for about 5 revs. Ride 1/2
    mile or so. Stand for 5 revs. Ride some more. Eventually I need to hop
    off and walk around anyway. Helps to let the leg muscles do something
    else for a bit.

    I know I'll never do it until uncomfort forces the issue, but it occurs
    to me that we could stave off the onset of this condition by "doing
    about 5 revs standing per mile" beginning at the end of the very first
    mile. Maybe this would mean less frequent standing breaks at the end of
    the ride.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    "winter in peanut butter comes turquoise" -Greg Harper
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  8. I just get off and walk for a few minutes.

    Not only does it instantly take all the weight off your seat, but it
    allows you to stretch out your legs (and get to the muscles that are not
    involved so much in distance unicycling)

    The added energy and power I feel as soon as I remount would easily
    catch up to where I had been if I had just stood and pedaled for a
    while.

    I'm a big fan of a 1 or 2 minute walk break each hour (or half hour as
    the ride progresses)

    My longest ride has been 6.5 hours, 85KM (and 85km the day before)

    --
    Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

    'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
    (HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

    'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

    'Unicycle Product Reviews'
    (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
    *122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  9. harper

    harper Guest

    I use the slow down, stand up technique on distance rides with large
    groups where it is not clear who wants to stop and when. Tom Jackson and
    I have frequently slowed down and bobbed up and down for some tens of
    seconds when we ride the Iron Horse Trail with a group. Sometimes we
    stop and, when Tom Blackwood is in the head, spin his wheel up to 25mph
    so he is more satisfied with both his average and top speeds for the
    ride.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "Never ride backwards up a rocky mountain road because the things that
    will trip you if you see them will also trip you if you don't. " -
    munipsycho

  10. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    harper wrote:
    > *Sometimes we stop and, when Tom Blackwood is in the head, spin his
    > wheel up to 25mph so he is more satisfied with both his average and
    > top speeds for the ride. *

    Remember to spin it backwards to give him more riding time during the
    1,000,000 mile warranty. :rolleyes:

    --
    U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  11. Walking is for me not only the best way to rest the crotch but also a
    way to rejuvenate the whole body. After 50 metres of mindful walking I
    am ready to swing myself into the saddle again. Walking is a remedy and
    a prophylactic for all kind of ailments. To take a walk once in a while
    actually adds quality to the uniriding I think. Besides, the GB-handles
    give me a perfect grip to walk with the Coker in front of me.

    --
    goldenchicken II - There is more to cycling

    Olaf Johansson
    goldenchicken II's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10248

  12. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:32:23 -0500, "Catboy" wrote:

    >Whats next, massaging saddles? Every man will want one!

    Not to mention women :)

    Glad to see that I'm not the only one doing this, although there are
    apparently protagonists and antigonists (as always).

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I ride like a princess. - john_childs

  13. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Yesterday, 3 MUC Cokerists took a very nice 20 mile ride thru the
    country side. We used the regular bobbling massage technique and report
    it is very effective.

    We would tend to forget to do it, so I set my Ironman Triathlon watch to
    beep every 3 minutes. Early in the ride we'd do every other beep cycle.
    Later in the ride (miles 12+) we were slowing and bobbing on each 3.

    I had to laugh several times when our peloton stood and bobbled in
    unison for 10 or so seconds, then settled in and raced off again.

    Funny looking as a group, but 100% effective against numbness. Prolongs
    the onset of soreness too.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    "winter in peanut butter comes turquoise" -Greg Harper
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  14. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > *In addition, your crotch has some time to evaporate and cool down. *

    Egad! Or possibly, gadzooks! You rode so far and so fast that your
    crotch evaporated?:eek:

    The problem of resting is a psychological one. Those of us who like to
    do long rides are probably all driven by the same demons and feel that
    every dismount is a sign of weakness. Perhaps not, but I know I need to
    discipline myself to stop and rest, otherwise I push on for "just
    another mile", and end up suffering.

    A five minute rest every few miles is good for morale, good for the legs
    and crotch, and can even give you an opportunity to enjoy the scenery,
    rather than riding for riding's sake.

    On a long ride, I find the following help:
    Padded shorts
    Padded "longs"over the shorts.
    Sit carefully, and position everything comfortably.
    Keep up a pedalling rhythm.
    Set goals (I''ll ride until the bridge, or for 20 minutes, or
    whatever.)
    Occasionally stand up to pedal for a few rotations.
    Shift my weight about - lean on the handle for a while.
    Change my posture - sit up straighter for a bit.
    Grit my teeth.

    A rest in good time does more good than a rest that's too late.

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

  15. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    I actually just pay someone to ride for me now. Sayanara numbness.

    --
    JJuggle - Meet the new boss...

    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ

    No safety or surprise, the end.
    I'll never look into your eyes again.
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  16. Righto,

    I used to ride in these really thin 3/4 pants, wearing only my
    boxershorts under em, and I had saddle pain after like 20-30 mins. I now
    wear boxer shorts, cycling shorts and a thicker 3/4 pants (it's summer
    eh? not like you notice anything of it, raining all the time) I hardly
    ever have saddle pain now... and nothing a 1 min break can't fix.

    Don't be afraid to dismount, it's perfectly sane, take a drink, walk
    around a bit and go on, that way you last longer and it's actually
    better for your legs.

    Oh, and Klaas, you might want to look at this:

    http://tinyurl.com/8rn3l

    I've heard it's 'okay', I imagine you're using a normal KH saddle now,
    they're alright for muni/trials, but not really for long hours in the
    saddle.

    And what inch size is that dikke dame of yours? Diameter that is...
    (Going to buy a 36" myself, just interested in my fellow dutchmen :p)

    --
    DustinMichels - What could possibly go wrong?

    -Clink! Screw! Bend! Inflate! Alter Saddle!-
    DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

  17. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

  18. This is my worst problem with distance unicycling. One problem, even
    with the nice leather air seat, is that the air still gets stuck in one
    place and presses there.

    Here's my wish: Any hospital workers/visitors/bedridden patients out
    there will realize that pressure sores are rare these days. It's
    because they have air mattresses which have sections. The sections
    inflate and deflate at variable periods. Because of this, even if the
    patient does not change position, the pressure from the mattress moves
    to another location. I'd like one on my seat that moved from left to
    right, or across the diagonals of the seat: Inflate the right front and
    left rear, then switch.

    Is this the next upgrade for the air seat....

    Billy

    --
    BillyTheMountain

    Team YAMS member
    I wish that I was born a thousand years ago
    I wish that I'd sail the darkened seas on a great big clipper ship
    Going from this land here to that in a sailor's suit and cap

    BillyTheMountain's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5357

  19. This is my worst problem with distance unicycling. One problem, even