Crotchet Type Rims?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, May 22, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I've just bought a pair of new tyres online, Vredestein Scarabs. The inflation range is marked on
    the tyre as 3 to 5 bar with a warning that says over 4.5 bar crotchet type rims only. I've never
    heard this term before, what exactly are crotchet rims and how do I tell if I have them, equally
    what happens at over 4.5 bar on non-crotchet rims.? I'd just assumed that rims were either clincher
    or tubeless.

    The rims on by bike are relatively cheap Rigida Alloy.

    Secondly I'm moving down from 1.95 width tyres to 1.75, am I likely to need new tubes. On most tubes
    I've seen, any usable for 1.95 tyres include 1.75 in their range of use but I'd like to be sure.

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

    Kind Regards, Paul.

    Tags:

  2. Paul wrote:

    > I've just bought a pair of new tyres online, Vredestein Scarabs. The inflation range is marked on
    > the tyre as 3 to 5 bar with a warning that says over 4.5 bar crotchet type rims only. I've never
    > heard this term before, what exactly are crotchet rims and how do I tell if I have them, equally
    > what happens at over 4.5 bar on non-crotchet rims.? I'd just assumed that rims were either
    > clincher or tubeless.

    This, and many other cycling terms, is explained in my Bicycle Glossary.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#crochet

    > The rims on by bike are relatively cheap Rigida Alloy.

    Not to worry, they'll be fine.

    > Secondly I'm moving down from 1.95 width tyres to 1.75, am I likely to need new tubes. On most
    > tubes I've seen, any usable for 1.95 tyres include 1.75 in their range of use but I'd like to
    > be sure.

    Not likely to be a problem, unless the tubes need to be creased to fit.

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary" Brown +------------------------------------+
    | Experience is a hard teacher, | because she gives the test first, | the lesson after. --
    | Vernon Law |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Paul