Crumbled nipple safe?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hey all,

    I crumbled an alloy nipple while trying to touch up the true of a rear wheel. The shoulder area
    where a spoke nipple makes contact crumbled, but not the portion that extends into the rim.

    Is this safe to ride till I can get it changed?

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Why would you bet your life on something that you could replace for pennies?

    You're saying a failed nipple=death? What about a broken spoke? People break spokes all the time
    without dying.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    > I crumbled an alloy nipple while trying to touch up the true of a rear wheel. The shoulder area
    > where a spoke nipple makes contact crumbled, but not the portion that extends into the rim.
    >
    > Is this safe to ride till I can get it changed?

    Yes. Don't you have any spares? Get a couple. You'll have to remove and replace the rimtape - try to
    re-use it. Maybe try a 3-sided DT nipple wrench if they're DT's and oil your nips. Mark Lee

  4. Ken Pisichko

    Ken Pisichko Guest

    Read Gary's other comments - especially his response to my question about getting a stuck seatpost
    "unstuck". Get the picture about Gary? Perhaps he has had a bad day and is unable to talk with
    anyone about
    it...

    Ken

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

    > "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Why would you bet your life on something that you could replace for pennies?
    >
    > You're saying a failed nipple=death? What about a broken spoke? People break spokes all the time
    > without dying.

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > The shoulder area where a spoke nipple makes contact crumbled,

    I meant to say "the shoulder area where the spoke wrench makes contact..."

    There are no spoke threads showing. The part of the nipple with the threads is intact.

    No, I don't have any spare nipples. I have a very important ride early Sunday morn and have no time
    to fix it. "Very important" means with a girl I've been dogging to death to ride with me. I'll be
    damned if I back out on this, ride number 2, unless there is consensus that I'd risk catastrophic
    failure. The ride is short (20 mi) and lower speed (13-15). No, I don't have spare wheels or bike.
    I'm not in the position of you older guys to afford such things yet.

    Thanks, Doug

  6. Us

    Us Guest

    what did we say once upon a time? Broken bones heal Pain is why we have drugs and Chicks dig
    scars.....

    Oh wait that was the Lacrosse team motto... not the Riding Club...

    Doug wrote:

    >>The shoulder area where a spoke nipple makes contact crumbled,
    >

    > I meant to say "the shoulder area where the spoke wrench makes contact..."
    >
    > There are no spoke threads showing. The part of the nipple with the threads is intact.
    >
    > No, I don't have any spare nipples. I have a very important ride early Sunday morn and have no
    > time to fix it. "Very important" means with a girl I've been dogging to death to ride with me.
    > I'll be damned if I back out on this, ride number 2, unless there is consensus that I'd risk
    > catastrophic failure. The ride is short (20 mi) and lower speed (13-15). No, I don't have spare
    > wheels or bike. I'm not in the position of you older guys to afford such things yet.
    >
    > Thanks, Doug

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Why would you bet your life on something that you could replace for pennies?

    Huh? Unless your wheels are really, really, low count, like 4 spokes, one spoke failing is not going
    to cause major problems. I wouldn't risk a broken nipple on the road, just out of convenience, so I
    would change the nipple. It only takes a few minutes to do.
    ----------------
    Alex

  8. > No, I don't have any spare nipples. I have a very important ride early Sunday morn and have no
    > time to fix it. "Very important" means with a girl I've been dogging to death to ride with me.

    Sweet. Actually if the nipple fails it might be a good thing -- sort of like that "Oh, I guess we're
    out of gas and had better stop for awhile" ploy when you take someone out for a drive.

    JT

  9. >No, I don't have any spare nipples. I have a very important ride early Sunday morn and have no time
    >to fix it. "Very important" means with a girl I've been dogging to death to ride with me. I'll be
    >damned if I back out on this, ride number 2, unless there is consensus that I'd risk catastrophic
    >failure. The ride is short (20 mi) and lower speed (13-15). No, I don't have spare wheels or bike.
    >I'm not in the position of you older guys to afford such things yet.

    Even if the nipple does fail, your wheel will be fine. Well, if you keep riding on it after, you
    might kill more and more spokes and if it goes too far you might have to replace the rim. This is a
    fair amount later, though.

    Jasper

  10. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    In each case all I did was ask a logical question based on what was previously stated. Dog asked "is
    it safe" and I mentioned that it could be fixed for pennies. Maybe I exaggerated a bit about betting
    one's life.

    In your case, Ken, I read Sheldon's article, and I just wanted to verify that you had tried all
    those things. But you're right, I did have to work yesterday (instead of ride), so maybe I wasn't
    having such a good day. Hope you get your seatpost freed.