Crystal Cake help

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Bubbo, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have all
    these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One of the
    things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not find anything
    about it.

    First of all, it's not cakey at all.

    It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made very
    long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe made with
    glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet red beans. It's
    not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell. I'm really trying to
    come up with a way to describe the texture...

    Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at home if
    possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either don't speak
    english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the pink hair so I can
    never get any answers from them. It's been so long since I've been to chicago,
    I miss these things.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo wrote:
    > In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have all
    > these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One of the
    > things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not find anything
    > about it.
    >
    > First of all, it's not cakey at all.
    >
    > It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made very
    > long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe made with
    > glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet red beans. It's
    > not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell. I'm really trying to
    > come up with a way to describe the texture...
    >
    > Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at home if
    > possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either don't speak
    > english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the pink hair so I can
    > never get any answers from them. It's been so long since I've been to chicago,
    > I miss these things.

    is it this:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/02/FDGV9B0QLA1.DTL
    ?

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  3. ms. tonya

    ms. tonya Guest

    (The Bubbo)WROTE:
[...]
    REPONSE: We have a lot of bakeries owned by people from China Korea etc.
    around here -surburban detroit- and they pull the same treatment as you
    mentioned so don't feel bad.
    As one friend told an owner to his face as he walked out leaving items
    on counter you sure know what our money means though don't you.

  4. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have all
    >> these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One of the
    >> things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not find

    anything
    >> about it.
    >>
    >> First of all, it's not cakey at all.
    >>
    >> It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made

    very
    >> long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe made with
    >> glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet red beans. It's
    >> not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell. I'm really trying to
    >> come up with a way to describe the texture...
    >>
    >> Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at home

    if
    >> possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either don't speak
    >> english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the pink hair so I can
    >> never get any answers from them. It's been so long since I've been to

    chicago,
    >> I miss these things.
    >>

    > is it this:

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/02/FDGV9B0QLA1.DTL
    > ?

    The description sounds right but the pictures don't match, it's very white
    except for the dots of red bean. Maybe it's a variation on that?

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  5. ms. tonya wrote:
    > (The Bubbo)WROTE:
    > In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have
    > all these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One
    > of the things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not
    > find anything about it.
    > First of all, it's not cakey at all.
    > It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made
    > very long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe
    > made with glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet
    > red beans. It's not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell.
    > I'm really trying to come up with a way to describe the texture...
    > Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at
    > home if possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either
    > don't speak english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the
    > pink hair so I can never get any answers from them. It's been so long
    > since I've been to chicago, I miss these
    > things.---------------------------------------------
    > REPONSE: We have a lot of bakeries owned by people from China Korea etc.
    > around here -surburban detroit- and they pull the same treatment as you
    > mentioned so don't feel bad.
    > As one friend told an owner to his face as he walked out leaving items
    > on counter you sure know what our money means though don't you.

    I have found that if you ask politely, in most stores they can usually
    find someone with some English skills if you need some help (at least at
    the "ethnic" markets I shop at). I am also in the Detroit area. Hell, I
    don't care if they learn English, just keep importing the good stuff :)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > ms. tonya wrote:
    >> (The Bubbo)WROTE:
    >> In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have
    >> all these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One
    >> of the things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not
    >> find anything about it.
    >> First of all, it's not cakey at all.
    >> It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made
    >> very long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe
    >> made with glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet
    >> red beans. It's not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell.
    >> I'm really trying to come up with a way to describe the texture...
    >> Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at
    >> home if possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either
    >> don't speak english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the
    >> pink hair so I can never get any answers from them. It's been so long
    >> since I've been to chicago, I miss these
    >> things.---------------------------------------------
    >> REPONSE: We have a lot of bakeries owned by people from China Korea etc.
    >> around here -surburban detroit- and they pull the same treatment as you
    >> mentioned so don't feel bad.
    >> As one friend told an owner to his face as he walked out leaving items
    >> on counter you sure know what our money means though don't you.
    >>

    > I have found that if you ask politely, in most stores they can usually
    > find someone with some English skills if you need some help (at least at
    > the "ethnic" markets I shop at). I am also in the Detroit area. Hell, I
    > don't care if they learn English, just keep importing the good stuff :)

    the ladies at this bakery are super nice, it's just always so busy and they
    don't really speak english but they laugh at how excited I get with the
    crystal cake and pork buns and sesame rolls...

    My favorite, though, are the people who work dim sum at the chinese place by
    my office. I was in there today for lunch and they tease me for not eating
    chicken feet (I tried them once, I'll try most things once) but liking the
    tripe. The last few times they've even run to the back to get special things
    for me to try. They're so much fun.

    --

  7. The Bubbo wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    >>ms. tonya wrote:
    >>
    >>>(The Bubbo)WROTE:
    >>>In Chinatown in Chicago there is a bakery I always stop at. They have
    >>>all these wonderful pastries and stuffed buns and things for cheap. One
    >>>of the things they sell is called Crystal Cake, I love it and I can not
    >>>find anything about it.
    >>>First of all, it's not cakey at all.
    >>>It's a tube, maybe 2.5 inches in diameter, it strikes me that it's made
    >>>very long and then cut into 4 inch lengths. It's white, chewy, maybe
    >>>made with glutinous rice flour(??), it's dotted throughout with sweet
    >>>red beans. It's not made with any sort of wheat flour that I can tell.
    >>>I'm really trying to come up with a way to describe the texture...
    >>>Anyway, I want to find out more about them, maybe try to make them at
    >>>home if possible. The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either
    >>>don't speak english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the
    >>>pink hair so I can never get any answers from them. It's been so long
    >>>since I've been to chicago, I miss these
    >>>things.---------------------------------------------
    >>>REPONSE: We have a lot of bakeries owned by people from China Korea etc.
    >>>around here -surburban detroit- and they pull the same treatment as you
    >>>mentioned so don't feel bad.
    >>>As one friend told an owner to his face as he walked out leaving items
    >>>on counter you sure know what our money means though don't you.
    >>>

    >>I have found that if you ask politely, in most stores they can usually
    >>find someone with some English skills if you need some help (at least at
    >>the "ethnic" markets I shop at). I am also in the Detroit area. Hell, I
    >>don't care if they learn English, just keep importing the good stuff :)
    >>

    > the ladies at this bakery are super nice, it's just always so busy and they
    > don't really speak english but they laugh at how excited I get with the
    > crystal cake and pork buns and sesame rolls...
    >
    > My favorite, though, are the people who work dim sum at the chinese place by
    > my office. I was in there today for lunch and they tease me for not eating
    > chicken feet (I tried them once, I'll try most things once) but liking the
    > tripe. The last few times they've even run to the back to get special things
    > for me to try. They're so much fun.

    I think the women who run the register at the sushi place/market up the
    street are amused by the assortment of things I pick up. Or maybe just
    that I, the whitest girl in the world, makes her own sushi, I'm not sure
    :) The sushi there is SO fantastic. It's alot cheaper to make it
    yourself, though.

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:

    > I think the women who run the register at the sushi place/market up the
    > street are amused by the assortment of things I pick up. Or maybe just
    > that I, the whitest girl in the world, makes her own sushi, I'm not sure
    > :) The sushi there is SO fantastic. It's alot cheaper to make it
    > yourself, though.

    Making your own sushi is way more fun. I'm doing a sushi party/instructional
    next month, so I'll be leading an expedition to the store and the fish market
    and then to my place to make it.

    The girls at the register can't believe just how much I love red bean ice
    cream. I get the ice cream bars, the ice cream in the pint and the mochi.
    Can't get enough.

    --

  9. The Bubbo wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >

    >>I think the women who run the register at the sushi place/market up the
    >>street are amused by the assortment of things I pick up. Or maybe just
    >>that I, the whitest girl in the world, makes her own sushi, I'm not sure
    >>:) The sushi there is SO fantastic. It's alot cheaper to make it
    >>yourself, though.
    >>

    > Making your own sushi is way more fun. I'm doing a sushi party/instructional
    > next month, so I'll be leading an expedition to the store and the fish market
    > and then to my place to make it.
    >
    > The girls at the register can't believe just how much I love red bean ice
    > cream. I get the ice cream bars, the ice cream in the pint and the mochi.
    > Can't get enough.

    mochi is great. I bought some to make for ellie last year , and she
    thought it was so funny how it puffed up!

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  10. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    "ms. tonya" wrote:

    > (The Bubbo)WROTE:
    > The ladies behind the counter at the bakery either don't
    > speak english or don't want to talk to the crazy girl with the
    > pink hair so I can never get any answers from them. It's been so
    > long since I've been to chicago, I miss these
    > things.---------------------------------------------
    > REPONSE: We have a lot of bakeries owned by people from China
    > Korea etc. around here -surburban detroit- and they pull the
    > same treatment as you mentioned so don't feel bad.

    When my family lived in Germany (with lots of other Americans),
    a friend of my parents swore that the Germans were just
    pretending not to understand his attempts to speak German.
    So he'd do the same (perceived) thing to them when they tried
    to speak English to him. He'd make them repeat what they
    were saying several times before he'd "understand" what they
    were trying to say.