CS200 Cadence

a5hi5m

Aug 22, 2005
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has a new Polar CS200 with cadence, but the unit seems to have a problem receiving signals from the cadence sensor. I can hear the read switch as the magnet goes past. I have the S725 and could take apart the cadence transmitter and change the jumper settings to increase range, can this be done with the CS transmitter? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ash

It cant be done with the CS sensors. They are completely sealed units that last about 2500 hours.

If you hold the computer up to the sensor do you get a reading? Where do you have the sensor mounted? seat tube or downtube?

a5hi5m said:
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has a new Polar CS200 with cadence, but the unit seems to have a problem receiving signals from the cadence sensor. I can hear the read switch as the magnet goes past. I have the S725 and could take apart the cadence transmitter and change the jumper settings to increase range, can this be done with the CS transmitter? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ash

Some transmitters are weak - I have two CS cad kits, and one one bike it's no problem to fit it on the chainstay. On the other bike the signal's so weak that I have to fit the sensor on the downtube, just under the main bottle cage mount. Suggest you try the same if you haven't already done so. As Impakt says, hold the head unit close to the sensor to prove the hypothesis - if it works with the head unit close, then the problem's a weak transmitter. If it still doesn't work at all, and you can hear the trigger firing, then the transmitter's DOA. Either way, take the transmitter back to the shop and get them to swap it – if they've sold many CS200s then they'll probably be well aware of the problem...

I held the reciever close (30 cms?) away and it picked up the signal from the transmitter ok, but didnt seem to do so when i moved it further away. My friend said he had tried it mounted on the downtube, so i guess it will be hard to get it closer. He is taking the bike somewhere tomorrow who said they can fix it, otherwise ill suggest he get the transmitter changed.

Thanks for the info

Ash

a5hi5m said:
I held the reciever close (30 cms?) away and it picked up the signal from the transmitter ok, but didnt seem to do so when i moved it further away. My friend said he had tried it mounted on the downtube, so i guess it will be hard to get it closer. He is taking the bike somewhere tomorrow who said they can fix it, otherwise ill suggest he get the transmitter changed.

Thanks for the info

Ash
**** I just ordered the polar cs200cad... Now I"m worried :(

I think that the product itself is still hit and miss. I have had mine back and forth to my LBS for over a year. Parts swapped from new units, replaced with a new unit, different location for the sensors - none of which have overcome the basic problems of the computer cutting in and out and thin data readings as a result. They have decided that you are either the kind of rider who doesn't notice this type of stuff and puts up with the issues, or not. If not, they say that they are now trying to steer folks away from the unit altogether.

I can absolutely tell one thing. These units are much more susceptible to interference and signal loss than other Polar units. I have taken my CS200 Cad bike out on my neighborhood loop and had the unit cut out several times a ride. My son can ride along with me on my 725X bike and only pick up electrical interference to the HR signal at one place where we pass over a mega-transmission cable, and even then this occurs maybe 1 ride in 20. On my urban and city commute, I drop signal about once a mile. It is really ridiculous.

The only thing that I would add is that some folks do manage to get a good setup. And then some of them manage to keep it working after that. I do believe them to be the exception though based upon what I have run into, seen other riders experiencing, talking to the shop techs, and reading around on the boards.

Personally, I am just glad that I bought mine from the kind of LBS that will do anything to keep you coming back. Even then, if they weren't right around the corner from where I work commute, I wouldn't be playing along with them at this point. I figure that I will move on to something else before too much longer. YMMV though. I hope your luck is better. ;)