CSC out, Vandenbroucke attempts suicide

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by wicklow200, Jun 7, 2007.

1. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Tags:

2. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

3. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

No VDB did his attempt yesterday and already left the Vuelta Asturias two days ago because of ilness. My sources tell me he was suffering from depressions for some time (again..)
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id648.html

4. Pennypacker

Pennypacker New Member

Let me start by saying this is very sad and I feel for VdB and his family.
    The hits just keep on coming for the cycling community. The pressure being placed upon the peloton might be starting to surface. There is a lot poop being flung around and everyone is trying not to get hit with the s**t.
    I'm not inferring that this was the tipping point for VdB. May have just been depression or another type of mental illness, which could have lead to his bad judgement.
    I wish him the best.

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Yes very sad.. the guy did threaten his wife with a shotgun some time ago.... he's got some serious problems and I don't think they relate to doping.... he's just very mixed up...... cycling is what has kept him from going insane (ProCycling interview about 2 years ago).... in saying all this there are a lot of scary guys who make a shit load of cash from doping who will be not pleased if the cyclists start saying no to drugs and putting there names forward....

6. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

I'm not so sure that VDB's doping and depression are totally unrealted. Remember he was the next big thing, Belgian cycling's golden boy - when he was doping. He then got busted, and perhaps stopped doping, and his success ceased. It must be pretty hard to accept that your talent/success relied on cheating, then struggling to find out what kind of rider, and man, you really are when riding clean.

7. Pennypacker

Pennypacker New Member

Was not aware of the gun incident, but knew he has had some problems.
    His mental state, as you said, probably lead to what happened.

8. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Agreement. One of the side effects of testosterone use is depression. Steroids like EQ and nandralone can be even worse. If someone responds exceedingly well to PEDs, the side effects can also be pronounced.

Additionally, the performance effect over time can degrade with exo-testosterone and steroids. EPO can deplete the body of iron and other vital blood dependent nutrients. You can see why blood doping is the way to go.

VDB has likely become drug dependent, like Pantani. Probably running cocaine, pot bilge, steroids, testosterone, epo, alcohol, x, ghb... A lot of these guys are just drug addicts. They're addicted to the feeling of flying on their bikes, the money, the fame, but they also exhibit the behaviors of good, old fashioned down and out junkies.

In six months he'll either be dead or turning tricks behind dumpsters in the red light district.

9. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I think he is just bonkers, unrelated to cycling or doping. He has not been able to hold a consistent training regimen for a very long time. He has been inand out of hospitals. His story won't end happily.

10. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Any truth to the rumor that Jerry Springer is set to do the color commentary for OLN at the Tour this year?

Anyone else heard this?

11. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Give springer more credit then that.......

Maybe VdB rolled on his fellow waffle boys and Lefevere??????

12. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Na. I think the problem with VDB stems from his sexual affair with his hermaphrodite cousin. Apparently they shared a mobile home outside of Atlanta together.

That's why I thought Springer was getting involved.

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Not sure... When Hincapie came off the gear when OP broke last year didn't appear to show any VDB like symptoms..... then again although he was flying on more gear than a Columbian cargo train he still manage to fark up every single day race he entered and rode himself into a ditch...

14. davidbod

davidbod New Member

You are such a complete TROLL!

15. Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm New Member

one of the side-effects of LIFE is depression

drugs or no drugs

some get the side-effects
    most don't

16. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I'm sorry to read about FVDB : he was a superb cyclist in his prime and I had real hopes that he was coming back to that form when he started racing again last season.

Hope the future hold better things in store for him.

18. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Lim,

my sources tell me that this story seems to end very bad...

19. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

VDB is officially no longer in a life threatening condition, or so say Italian newsites...

20. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

For this time yes but I hear he is in a very bad mental condition, worse than in 2004 (as he did a suicide attempt as well). They think that in the end the story will end bad. I hope they are wrong.