CSC (sponsor) leaving cycling at year end

whiteboytrash said:
yes UPS and the National Geographic channel are very keen to get involved....

I can't wait to get my hands on UPS brown jersey. I'll need two of them.

missile said:
I'm conflicted in respects to whether or not Discovery brought credibility to the sport. In the long run, I think that they simply jumped on the Tour de Lance caravan. They got in while Lance was still on the team and jumped out after her retired and things were starting to look sticky in Europe. That wasn't good for the sport.

What initially appeared to give them credibility was that they have great programming on the cable channels. That, sadly, did not translate to their sponsorship. They could have represented so much good (top notch drug testing for instance), but only seemed to contribute to the problem in the long run.
Disco could have done a lot more. They should have had programs about the history of the TdF, the history of the classics, the development of the racing bike, etc. The should have done more to promote their investment in cycling.

jhuskey said:
I can't wait to get my hands on UPS brown jersey. I'll need two of them.

Does the National Geographic jersey have GPS? If yes I would prefer a National Geographic jersey. (2, one long arm, one short, jacket etc.)

CSC has been a sponsor for a long time. They have gotten all the exposure they can from cycling sponsorship, and now it is time to move to another advertising outlet. The coming recession may be on their mind as well.

If Riis cannot get another sponsor then the sport is in big trouble. He runs the best team in the sport, and he did not spend the most money to get there.

cyclingheroes said:
Does the National Geographic jersey have GPS? If yes I would prefer a National Geographic jersey. (2, one long arm, one short, jacket etc.)

If NG sponsors a team I will probably just watch the races to see the naked pygmies ride.

jhuskey said:
I am willing to help sponsor a team if any of you are interested. All I ask is that you train hard, supply your own equipment,food,transportation and do not expect to get payed. All the glory of winning will be 100% yours.
I do have some non-matching jerseys.
what would your team name be? motley crew? :D

Bro Deal said:
Disco could have done a lot more. They should have had programs about the history of the TdF, the history of the classics, the development of the racing bike, etc. The should have done more to promote their investment in cycling.
Yes! Instead they did shows like "The Science of LA", promoting his supposed super human superiority as an athlete compared to all the other athletes.

Bro Deal said:

I do remember reading about CSC that a lot of the reason they sponsored cycling was the fact that it was a great vehicle to take clients to the Tour de France..... Every Tour there would be a new set of clients each day being wined, dined and entertained. It was perfect backdrop for schmoozing.... so I think it was less about having the CSC name on the jerseys and more about taking clients to France for **** ups.....

Now Riis just needs to talk to Bill Gates and get a budget of around 3 billion for his new team.... completely with own genetic laboratory...

Riis's sponsorship deal with CSC - came at a precarious time for Riis.

If you recall, he had serious difficulty attracting a sponsor when his initial sponsor withdrew funding in 2001/2002.
Several potential sponsors looked at his team and then balked : Jack & Jones being one.
Riis had to fund the team, in part, from his own resources.

Tiscali and CSC then came on board - and Riis, in fairness, repaid that investment in spades with wins throughout racing seasons 2003-2007.

I have no doubt that given his record, Riis will easily get a replacement for CSC.

limerickman said:
Riis's sponsorship deal with CSC - came at a precarious time for Riis.

If you recall, he had serious difficulty attracting a sponsor when his initial sponsor withdrew funding in 2001/2002.
Several potential sponsors looked at his team and then balked : Jack & Jones being one.
Riis had to fund the team, in part, from his own resources.

Tiscali and CSC then came on board - and Riis, in fairness, repaid that investment in spades with wins throughout racing seasons 2003-2007.

I have no doubt that given his record, Riis will easily get a replacement for CSC.
Riis repaid them with Cecchini, 3 Danish docs, and Voigt and Julich on cheap salaries.

They all benefited from Ceccho and Riis' pharmalogical expertise.

thunder said:
Riis repaid them with Cecchini, 3 Danish docs, and Voigt and Julich on cheap salaries.

I wasn't trying to justify Riis - i was simply giving members the background as to how CSC came on board.

thunder said:

Who are those 3 Danish doctors? Don't you mean Belgian doctors?

Julich was on a cheap salary at first, but he was given a new contract during the 2005 season I believe, because they thought he deserved more money.

I doubt Voigt was ever on a particularly cheap salary. He was also very good when he was with Crédit Agricole.

thecyclist said:
Who are those 3 Danish doctors? Don't you mean Belgian doctors?

Julich was on a cheap salary at first, but he was given a new contract during the 2005 season I believe, because they thought he deserved more money.

I doubt Voigt was ever on a particularly cheap salary. He was also very good when he was with Crédit Agricole.
Riis paid average wages. He offered free dope tho.

Julich was recompensated for his wins in his second contract and I would be surprised if Jens Voigt was on less than 600k Euro per annum.

limerickman said:
I wasn't trying to justify Riis - i was simply giving members the background as to how CSC came on board.
CSC got great value. You were right, just a clumsy reply by me. More a reply to the trhead.

Could it be that CSC sees Riis as the problem? They likely see the writing on the wall with ASO winning the fight against UCI and the Pro-tour concept.

Remember Riis was a persona non grata at last year's TdF. The perceived risk might be too high that Riis' team might not get an invite for, say, next year, in particular if more dirt comes up concerning the CSC team? (and you all know that there is very likely a lot more dirt).

Cobblestones said:
Could it be that CSC sees Riis as the problem? They likely see the writing on the wall with ASO winning the fight against UCI and the Pro-tour concept.

Remember Riis was a persona non grata at last year's TdF. The perceived risk might be too high that Riis' team might not get an invite for, say, next year, in particular if more dirt comes up concerning the CSC team? (and you all know that there is very likely a lot more dirt).
I think they see it for what it is... a frickin' sponsor's nightmare (pro cycling that is).