CSC Wristbands

Another beautiful marketing ploy, except this one only benefits one savy entrepreneur. At least a very small portion of the "yellow bands" goes to some good cause (at least I hope so). Why not just go band-less and be done. Does one really need to look at a wrist band to remind them that the going is tough and to "Harden the **** up"? Kind of f@cked up really.....

Yeah - and any one who wants to can go to one of those wrist band companies and get whatever they want printed on any color wrist band they want.... (in other words, don't expect that those bands have anything to do with CSC) - and I'll bet its cheaper too - some of them (wrist band companies) even let you order bands 1 at a time...

Tech72 said:
Another beautiful marketing ploy, except this one only benefits one savy entrepreneur. At least a very small portion of the "yellow bands" goes to some good cause (at least I hope so). Why not just go band-less and be done. Does one really need to look at a wrist band to remind them that the going is tough and to "Harden the **** up"? Kind of f@cked up really.....

You spend $1 on LiveStrong band, and then $1 goes to LAF. That "very small portion" is actually the whole dollar.

alienator said:
You spend $1 on LiveStrong band, and then $1 goes to LAF. That "very small portion" is actually the whole dollar.

But once that "whole dollar" makes it to LAF, how much of that "whole dollar" then make its way to actual cancer research and how much is absorbed by administration, marketing, payroll, etc, etc....If LAF is on par with most non-profit charities, only about 10-20% (if even that) is actually spent on the reason/cause for the existence of said charity. Regardless, this is still better than nothing and I applaud that. This is the way of the world. Hence my "very small portion" statement. I wear no bands and ribbons but do support charities.

Tech72 said:
But once that "whole dollar" makes it to LAF, how much of that "whole dollar" then make its way to actual cancer research and how much is absorbed by administration, marketing, payroll, etc, etc....If LAF is on par with most non-profit charities, only about 10-20% (if even that) is actually spent on the reason/cause for the existence of said charity. Regardless, this is still better than nothing and I applaud that. This is the way of the world. Hence my "very small portion" statement. I wear no bands and ribbons but do support charities.
I wear my LIVESTRONG band every day, because lance is one of my few real heros i guess you would call it, and ive lost a few grandparents to cancer (really hits home when you see them in pain) and both of them got through cancer for a few years, but it came back and took them both. and since i actually bought them from LAF, no one else got money. i see them on ebay for $3 plus another 4-5 for shipping. so i spend the 12 or whatever it was with shipping for 10, and gave them to friends and family. Ive worn mine for 2 years now, and its still looking like it did the day it came out of the package...definitely worth the dollar :)

i was going to get one... but i realized it got super trendy and im anti-trend. i asked a few people why they wear them and they dident even know what it was for....screw that i got a LIVEWRONG instead.

I also hurd the Livestrong corp sued the people who made the livewrong bracelet thats ****. wonder where they got the money for that... now i wont wear LS.

Tech72 said:

Wrong. Only ~ 25% max will ever go towards admin, staff, marketing, etc.

That leaves 75% towards the scientists, patients, programs, etc.

Get your facts straight and stop believing in the jaded people.

I really do sincerely hope that what you state is true for the good of everyone. However, according to Charity Navigator (charity watch group), although most charities do conform to the 25/75 standard, there are too many that do not. A small minority may even be downright criminal. There was an expose on ABC's 20/20 in recent years regarding this as well. I know, I know, "news" TV shows are not the best source reference but it's another point of view to consider. Perhaps my post had a jaded tone and my claim is not as precise as you'd like but my point was that not all charities are as charitable as everyone is lead to believe. I'm not in the charity business so don't know all the intricacies or know about the workings of LAF. I speak from my own experience with a charity that I volunteered for, it definitely did not conform to the 25/75 rule, far from it.

BTW, my original point was that the CSC bands are a total joke and ultimately a money grab for some enterprising individual. No, I really don't need a wristband to remind me that "the going is tough".