CT NEMBA Fall Fiesta

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by B A R R Y B U R, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Anyone attending the Conencticut NEMBA Fall Fiesta this Sunday?

    I never miss a chance to put a face with a name.

    Barry

    Tags:

  2. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:19:37 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone attending the Conencticut NEMBA Fall Fiesta this Sunday?
    >
    > I never miss a chance to put a face with a name.
    >
    > Barry

    No. Instead, I'm riding a 100km ride whose proceeds go to the Make-A-Wish foundation. I've found
    that there are too many events planned for different clubs on this and next weekend. It would be
    nice to spread them out more or perhaps have some cooperation between the groups to lessed the
    likelihood of this happening.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  3. Barry, I may be there, but I wouldn't count on it. If so, look for a grey-beard on a rigid spec
    HardRock, with yellow Uncle Jesse bars and a whipsnake in the hole in the forks ;-) I'll be driving
    a white VW Fox with racks, probably, RI plates. Steve

  4. On 10 Sep 2003 12:09:16 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

    >Barry, I may be there, but I wouldn't count on it.

    I think you should be there.

    Barry

  5. On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:05:15 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No. Instead, I'm riding a 100km ride whose proceeds go to the Make-A-Wish foundation. I've found
    >that there are too many events planned for different clubs on this and next weekend. It would be
    >nice to spread them out more or perhaps have some cooperation between the groups to lessed the
    >likelihood of this happening.

    Harvest Rides? I did that last year, it was 45F and drizzling. Thank God for winter shoes. It took
    HOURS to get the gray crap off my bike. <G>

    FWIW, BOTH events are on new dates this year. The Harvest Rides were in mid-October, and the Fall
    Fiesta was in early November.

    Last year, I worked a NEMBA booth at the Bloomin' Metric, the Harvest Rides' spring sister. There
    was very little interest in mountain biking from the general population on that ride. The most
    common thing we heard was "Mountain biking? People get hurt doing that!".
    <G>

    Barry

  6. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:03:19 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:05:15 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> No. Instead, I'm riding a 100km ride whose proceeds go to the Make-A- Wish foundation. I've found
    >> that there are too many events planned for different clubs on this and next weekend. It would be
    >> nice to spread them out more or perhaps have some cooperation between the groups to lessed the
    >> likelihood of this happening.
    >
    > Harvest Rides? I did that last year, it was 45F and drizzling. Thank God for winter shoes. It took
    > HOURS to get the gray crap off my bike. <G>
    >
    > FWIW, BOTH events are on new dates this year. The Harvest Rides were in mid-October, and the Fall
    > Fiesta was in early November.
    >
    > Last year, I worked a NEMBA booth at the Bloomin' Metric, the Harvest Rides' spring sister. There
    > was very little interest in mountain biking from the general population on that ride. The most
    > common thing we heard was "Mountain biking? People get hurt doing that!".
    > <G>
    >

    > Barry

    Really? I like mountain biking better than road biking, but it's much harder to go mountain biking
    for me, as to get to the good places, I have to drive. I can go mountain biking once a week, at
    most. I'm hoping that it doesn't rain for this year's ride, but I think that it is. I am going to
    volunteer sooner or later for some NEMBA stuff.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  7. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:56:43 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Really? I like mountain biking better than road biking, but it's much harder to go mountain biking
    >for me, as to get to the good places, I have to drive.

    Yeah. We were trying to explain to them that a tree has yet to cut a mountain biker off by turning
    right in front of it. <G>

    As much as these folks are serious cyclists, all they know of off-roading is Mountain Dew
    commercials and the X-games.

    I see the same 'tudes on the Monday night group road ride I do. Then again, all the mountain bikers
    think roadies are wimps. None of them have experienced some of the prolonged pain that is usually
    only possible on a loooong road ride. <G>

    There's a small group of us at my LBS that does both, and can understand the plusses and
    minuses of each.

    Barry

  8. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:48:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:56:43 GMT, Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Really? I like mountain biking better than road biking, but it's much harder to go mountain
    >> biking for me, as to get to the good places, I have to drive.
    >
    > Yeah. We were trying to explain to them that a tree has yet to cut a mountain biker off by turning
    > right in front of it. <G>
    >
    > As much as these folks are serious cyclists, all they know of off-roading is Mountain Dew
    > commercials and the X-games.
    >
    > I see the same 'tudes on the Monday night group road ride I do. Then again, all the mountain
    > bikers think roadies are wimps. None of them have experienced some of the prolonged pain that is
    > usually only possible on a loooong road ride. <G>
    >
    > There's a small group of us at my LBS that does both, and can understand the plusses and minuses
    > of each.
    >
    > Barry

    I started mountain biking then transferred to road biking. I still like mountain biking better, but
    it's easier sometimes to get on my racing bike and ride, rather than load everything in the car,
    drive a half-hour, ...

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply